Asus G53JW (A1 & 3DE) Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by TipTip, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hansi06

hansi06 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks,

errr...do you know how much longer the g53's battery can last compared to the g73?

2. JediTim

JediTim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Donald....my thought is to purchase the G53 and once I get the laptop I would back it up to my Windows Home Server. Would it then be best for me to reinstall from the "recovery DVD" to get rid of the bloatware or should I just use Decrapifier?

In other words...is installing from the recovery DVD the same as the new laptop...justwithout all the bloatware?

3. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    @ Metallic...The whole point of the ASUS recovery DVD is that we do NOT use the A1Recovery program to make the disk. What we offer is a SINGLE DVD, not a set of 6, which provides a CLEAN install of the OS.

What A1Recovery gives the user is the joy of burning 6 DVDs that will include all of the original Bloatware (Free utilities, most if not all of which are worthless space wasters, from companies that pay ASUS to install them on all their laptops) & Scamware ("Trial" software from companies that also pay ASUS to install on all their laptops in hopes that you will just fall in love with it and buy it sometime during the trial period). It is impossible to get a clean OS install with the A1Recovery set of 6 DVDs, and the only way to get rid of all the JUNK is to delete them, one by one, in Programs & Features...which will take longer than doing the original burn of your lovely 6 DVD set.

@ JediTim...Hmmm, interesting...Decrapifier? Hadn't heard of that one but I like it :)

ASUS does provide the Drivers & Utilities DVD so if you buy the $15 ASUS recovery DVD you will have the tools necessary to do a complete fresh install, but without all the Bloatware. There would be no point to backing up or taking an image when you first get it because you would be sucking up all the JUNK, although you might want to do so after you complete your fresh install.

4. JediTim

Reputations:

PC Decrapifier is mentioned in PC Magazine, Maximum PC and other places to delete the unwanted junk from a new installation. I prefer the idea of using your recovery DVD instead to rebuild the system without all of the bloatware in the firstplace.

I originally was going to get a G51 (prior to the G53 being released) and installing a SSD drive in its place with a new version of Windows 7, however, I like the idea of getting the OCZ Vertex 2 120GB drive as the main drive and a a hard drive as the backup. One question though...can I use the 750GB drive that comes with the laptop as the second drive?
    Thanks, Tim

5. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    I am assuming from your question that you intend to install the SSD yourself and move the 750GB to the 2nd HDD bay...is that correct?

If it is, the only problem you will encounter is that ASUS does not provide the mounting bracket for the 2nd HDD bay, nor do they sell them separately.

6. JediTim

Reputations:
    Actually I plan on having you install the SSD and the 2nd hard drive...didn't know if the drive in the 2nd bay would be the original drive or a different drive...I know there is a purchase price for the 2nd drive and part of the cost is probably for reinstalling the software to the drive onto the SSD.

In other words...your site offers a 750GB drive as the drive for the 2nd bay...do you just move it over or install a new drive?

7. citizencoyote

citizencoyote Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Going through the Asus bloatware thread, some of it looks useful, though. Or is all the good stuff essentially drivers and utilities that would be on the extra disc Asus provides?

8. MakeItWayne

MakeItWayne Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    With all of this recovery disc talk, I am curious about the creation process. For those of us that have purchased this (or any ASUS notebook) already, is there a way to make them without the bloatware, maybe another way besides the A1 Recovery software?

9. RapboY

RapboY Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey any answers about my question on the stock wi-fi card if i should upgrade it? im almost final on my decision to preorder one from xoticpc :)

10. ibraveheart

ibraveheart Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am wondering if we can save it on a Ext hard drive
    instead of making 6 disk ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.