Asus G53JW (A1 & 3DE) Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by TipTip, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viper.MK

Viper.MK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why are so many people going mental on this...yes it is a pain but honestly, how often do you change the HDD in your laptop?
    It has got 4 ports, but they only found it later next to the empty slot under the keyboard.

2. kutthoat5150

kutthoat5150 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes thats true but it also makes it harder when it comes time to cleaning out the dust from your fans, heatsink, etc. I know people who do this every couple months. Plus I plan on doing upgrades to the RAM and Hard Drive later after I buy it and am not looking forward to taking it apart like that. The G73jw does seem more convenient when it comes to this.

3. Viper.MK

Viper.MK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I´m not looking forward to it either when thinking about putting my SSD into it, but it definitely is not a deal breaker for me. I have not cleaned the dust out of my G50Vt in 20 month and never had a problem with it.

4. Magnificus

Magnificus Newbie

Reputations:
    Actually, I do it quite often; at least twice a month. I also plan on doing upgrades on the HDD and RAM myself in the future. See, I have two reasons why the accessibility is such a problem for me.
    1) Pure Unadulterated Chronic laziness. Seriously. Disassembling a whole laptop to get to the HDD and RAM is just too much work for me. :p

2) I don't plan on doing many modifications by myself but if I do and something goes wrong, I'd prefer to tinker around with it first before sending it out to a service center. I live in the Middle East and I won't relish having to spend a lot of money on shipping to the US and also be without a laptop for 2-3 weeks at a time.

Its good to know that the G53 has 4 ports for the RAM.

I don't have anything against this laptop. I love its looks, its specs(hell yeah!) and its price, but its the small niggling things that give me an itch. When I'm spending $1500 plus on a gaming rig, I'd really appreciate all the conveniences that I can get and not just settle for something that'll keep bothering me all the time.

5. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    BUmping this thread for more ppl to post in it. Or is it cuz only 1 of us has it so far? Either way, we should soon be seeing more posts in here than the other thread in the Gaming section.

Hoping to be an avid poster in here VERY soon.

6. MakeItWayne

MakeItWayne Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone have a working link to the backlight mod thread for this notebook? The link in the first post isn't working and I can't seem to find it with the forum search.

7. spirit32

spirit32 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  8. panzer06

panzer06 His Imperial Majesty

Reputations:
    @ Magnificus I agree. The G53 is a non-starter for me. It's getting a Macbook Pro 5 generations ago where you have to remove 22 screws to change the hard drive.

No thanks

9. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Does Asus release/make accessible the manuals/guides for their lappies so we can look at how to take it apart n stuff? This would be really helpful for ppl like me, who don't want to send it in and lose 2-4weeks of productivity.

TYIA!

10. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Great points and I agree 100%.
    I really want to like this laptop(still do) but after I add everything up I'm still on the fence.
    Don't get me wrong it's a excellent laptop with awesome gaming potential but I too like to add my own hardware when I get the itch, to take the whole laptop apart to just to add components really seems like a PITA.
    Hard finish is disappointing also, everything else I can deal with but those are the 2 main reasons.
    Saying all that more than likely I still just might get one :)
    Just waiting for some reviews to see if there are any major issues that stand out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.