Asus G53JW (A1 & 3DE) Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by TipTip, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So,

Can anyone comment on the quality of the AC adapter (everything from the brick, to the cables, to the plug)? Does it have a third prong for ground? Does it have any indicator lights? Is it a straight adapter or a L-shape adapter? Also, please comment on the adapter-jack on the lappy.

If it's not too inconvenient on this beautiful Saturday nite, could pictures be provided too?

Thx!!!!!

2. DT770

DT770 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i think there are pictures on the net... go to metallic's review thread and there are tons of pictures with the power brick and the jack plugged in.
    The wall plug portion is the standard 3 prong plug.
    The powerbrick is beefy and get warm during normal usage and hot during high usage. It has green light when it has power and the laptop jack is straight. The port on the laptop is very firm because I guess a solid contact connection is required to transfer the power between the ps and the lappy

3. Ursinus

Ursinus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Haha , I guess this should be normal, perhaps like what DT770 said some sort of overcharge circuit protection :p

I did encountered the similar issues that the upper left top corner of the lid popped out , I also don't know what caused this. I just pressed it back and assume everything works fine.

Shoot some photo for your references!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. xWaxPencilx

xWaxPencilx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wonder if you could pop the lid off entirely and put some good old super glue in there

5. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I wouldn't recommend that...you may need to get in there for repairs later.

6. xWaxPencilx

xWaxPencilx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I guess i could use an alternative method and stretch a vinyl skin over the seams of the lid when i install the cover

7. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My my my.. you sure are a romantic today:) Thanks for the photos.

By any chance, could you snap a photo of the underside of the brick so that we may see the brand, voltage, etc of it? Just wanted to make sure ASUS provides an ASUS brick, rather than a LITE-ON one, like cheapy MSI does.

Kinda disappointed by the straight laptop jack--my HP jack eventually melted away due to the high voltage running through a bent cable. Had to eventually replace it with a Kensington universal adapter which is higher quality.

8. Butr0sButr0s

Butr0sButr0s Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its listed an as ASUS power adapter.
    Model Number: ADP-150NB D

9. Ursinus

Ursinus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Haha, i was in great mood after friend's housewarming party! ;) Here you are , i think it's from Asus.
    [​IMG]
    I feel a bit weird about the straight jack too, more ever it located at the right side which is quiet inconvenient and always interference with the wired mouse. However, I'm getting use to it, so not a big deal at all. But I do worry about the melted away issue :confused:

10. bendok

bendok Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well i got my G53JW on Friday and have had most of this weekend to play around with it.

First of all I got the G53JW-XR1 which as far as I know is a Canadian only model right now. It ended up being nearly $400 Canadian cheaper than the A1 for me when all was said and done. It has the following differences from the A1:

-500GB drive instead of 750GB drive included
    -4GB ram instead of 6GB ram included
    -No backpack or mouse
    -1 year warranty plus 1 year accidental coverage (instead of 2 year + 1 year accidental on the A1)

Everything else is the same including 1080p screen.

I plan on putting a SSD in the other bay plus upgrading the ram to 8gb in the next few weeks.

OK so this notebook is awesome. I wanted something that could mostly keep up with my desktop when I am on the road - especially with the WoW expansion coming soon I will be traveling so much around the holidays but will want to be playing WoW as much as I can since it comes out Dec 7th! It definitely fulfills this role.

WoW with everything on Ultra runs fine - 50-60fps in big wintergrasp battles or raids, 30fps in crowded dalaran (this is good!) and over 100fps everywhere else.

As for other games, one benchmark I wanted to try was how it handled the final mission in Starcraft 2 with everything maxed. If you've played it you know it's one of the most stressful things SC2 can do to your system and even during the biggest battles of that mission it stayed around 30fps.

Crysis on High (not very high) is actually playable, Metro 2033 is another game that brings a lot of PCs to their knees and that is playable too.

Here's my 3dmarks using newest nvidia drivers:
    3dmark 06
    3dmark vantage

As for temperatures, the GPU always stays below 80C during games (usually 76-78ish) except after 10mins of Furmark it topped at 88-89C. The fans don't kick into their highest speed until the GPU hits 80 so the thing is quiet. I think it's so awesome to have a notebook that can game like this and not require a clunky notebook cooler.

OK now for some cons...nothing is perfect...

- Used to an IPS screen on my desktop so viewing angles were more noticable for me. Horizontal is fine but for vertical you need to move it to the optimal position.
    - The touchpad buttons suck. Too stiff and loud. Thankfully I just use a mouse 90% of the time on it.
    - I gotta rip the keyboard off to get to the ram and hard drives? Silly Asus.
    - It doesn't get me beers out of the fridge
    - Keyboard has a bit of flex in the middle (not really noticable during typing, just if you're being picky and looking for flex).

Overall this laptop owns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.