Asus G53JW (A1 & 3DE) Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by TipTip, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TipTip

TipTip Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello all,

As we all know, the G53JW in now available, and here is the Owners' lounge. Firstly, I ordered the G73JH, didn't like it and sold it, bought the G73JW, didn't like it and sold it and NOW I am getting this mini-beast. Until I get mine from PortableOne, keep this thread alive with pics and reviews of this beast laptop.

Record: Voodooi First user to get it

Specifications:

G53JW-3DE:

-15.6" LED High Definition (1366 x768) (120Hz)
    -Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor i7-740QM 1.60GHz up-to 2.8GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
    -6GB DDR3 (8GB Max)
    -NV GTX 460M 1.5G GDDR5 VRAM
    -750G 7200RPM Hard Drive
    -Blu-Ray Combo Drive
    -Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
    -802.11 bgn
    -On board 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast Ethernet Controller
    -Integrated BlueTooth
    -3 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0 ports
    -8 in 1 card reader SDXC,MMC,MS,MS-Pro,MS-Duo
    -2.0MP Web Cam
    -8 cell Battery
    -7.9 lbs with 8 cell battery 15.6" x 11.9" x 0.8" - 2"
    -Color: Black
    -FREE Gaming Backpack & Gaming mouse / Nvidia 3D Vision Kit
    -MS Office Ready (60 Day Trial-required additional license to activate)
    -Energy Star 4.0 Compliant
    -2YR Global/1YR Accidental Damage/30-Day Zero Bright Dot/2-way FREE shipping/24-7 tech support

G53JW-A1:

-15.6" FHD (1920x1080) (LED)
    -Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor i7-740QM 1.60GHz up-to 2.8GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
    -6GB DDR3 (8GB Max)
    -NV GTX 460M 1.5G GDDR5 VRAM
    -750G 7200RPM Hard Drive
    -Super Multi Drive
    -Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
    -802.11 bgn
    -On board 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast Ethernet Controller
    -Integrated BlueTooth
    -3 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0 ports
    -8 in 1 card reader SDXC,MMC,MS,MS-Pro,MS-Duo
    -2.0MP Web Cam
    -8 cell Battery
    -7.9 lbs with 8 cell battery 15.6" x 11.9" x 0.8" - 2"<
    -Color: Black
    -FREE Gaming Backpack & Gaming mouse / USB 3.0 / Illuminated Keyboard
    -MS Office Ready (60 Day Trial-required additional license to activate)
    -Energy Star 4.0 Compliant
    -2YR Global/1YR Accidental Damage/30-Day Zero Bright Dot/2-way FREE shipping/24-7 tech support

Great Guide By Ken Lee at GentechPC to mod the keyboard backlight for G73/G51/G53:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/asu...-reviews-owners-lounges/asus...ml#post6710457

( Thanks Ken for such a great Mod.)

GenTechPC Review:

YouTube - Asus ROG G53JW nVidia GTX460M Gaming Notebook overview

XoticPC Review:

Part 1:
    YouTube - ASUS G53JW - A1 ROG Gaming Laptop Part 1 of 2 Review by XOTIC PC

Part 2:
    YouTube - ASUS G53JW - A1 ROG Gaming Laptop Part 2 of 2 Review by XOTIC PC

BTOtech Review
    YouTube - BTOtech.com | Asus G53Jw-A1 Gaming Notebook with nvidia gtx 460m Asus G53Jw review G53 benchamarks

Benches & Temps:

Xotic PC:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

GentechPC:

[​IMG]

Removing Access Panel ( Thanks Ken from GentechPC):

12.5mm drive should be no problem since the G73 series can take it, EDIT G73 and G53 do NOT uses same HDD bracket ( Thanks to Justin@xoticpc for this correction)
    [​IMG]

750GB drive is 9.5mm.

Also it's not easy to access hard drives on G53JW, the access cover on the bottom does not have screws, the screws is under the pamlrest.

So in order to remove the access panel on the bottom you must first

1: remove the keyboard:
    [​IMG]

2: Remove the palmrest:

[​IMG]

3: Remove 9 screws:

[​IMG]

4: before you can remove the access cover for HDD, Wireless and 2 RAM slots:

[​IMG]

Famous & Respectable Resellers selling it:

ASUS G53JW-A1:

PortableOne:
    ASUS G53JW-A1|15.6|FHD|1920x1080|LED|i7-740QM|1.73GHz|6GB|750GB|DVD|ROG

GentechPC:
    Asus G53JW-A1 15.6" FHD/NV GTX460M 1.5GB GDDR5/i7-740QM/6GB DDR3/750GB 7200rpm/DVDRW/Win7HP64: GenTech PC Store

XoticPC:
    ASUS G53JW-A1 - XOTIC PC - Republic of Gamers Laptop

BTOtech:
    Asus G53Jw-A1 Intel Core I7-740qm 8gb DDR3 500gb 7200rpm NVIDIA GTX 460M DVDRW 15.6

Powernotebooks:
    ASUS G53JW-A1 Republic of Gamers Laptops
    Provantage:
    PROVANTAGE: Asus G53JW-A1 Black 15.6 inch I7-740QM (1.73GHZ Quad-Core) 6GB DDR3 750G 7200

ASUS G53JW-3DE:

PortableOne:
    ASUS G53JW-3DE|15.6|HD|1366 x768|LED|120Hz|i7-740QM|1.73GHz|3D|6GB|750GB|Blu-Ray

GentechPC:
    Asus G53JW-3DE 15.6" HD 120Hz/NV GTX460M 1.5GB GDDR5/i7-740QM/6GB DDR3/750GB 7200/Blu-Ray/ In Stock: GenTech PC Store

XoticPC:
    ASUS G53JW-3DE ROG 3D Gaming Laptop - XOTIC PC

BTOtech:

N/A

Powernotebooks:
    ASUS G53JW-3DE Republic of Gamers Laptops

Provantage:
    PROVANTAGE: Asus G53JW-3DE Asus Notebook EN 15.6 inch G53JW-3DE Intel COREI7-740QM 750G 6G GTX460M WIN7HP Black RTL

CNET.uk review:
    Asus G53JW Review | Laptops | CNET UK

Additional Video:

YouTube - ASUS G53 3D ROG laptop.mpg

FAQ ( great thanks to RapboY for this wonderful FAQ):

Alternate Configurations
    - ASUS G53JW-XA1 from Amazon
    - ASUS G53JW-XR1 from bestdirect.ca

General Comments
    - Great bang for buck.
    - Huge for a 15" laptop.
    - Almost the same as the G73.
    - Power cord can get in the way of mouse for right handed people.
    - Touchpad buttons are too stiff and loud.
    - Some people have been having trouble with Mozilla Firefox. If you're one of them, try using Google Chrome instead.

FAQ
    1. What's the difference between the G53 and the G73?
    Not much noticeable difference between the two besides the size. The G53 is also made out of a slightly different material, much harder to open, and does not have a separate subwoofer. The G53 also requires a lot of work if you want to replace its parts.
    2. Does it have any heating issues?
    No, it runs pretty cool especially in the palm rest area. It stays mostly stays below 80C. The fans don't kick into their highest speed until the GPU hits 80 so it stays mostly quiet.
    3. How long is the battery life?
    2h15m with wifi off and 2h05m with wifi on and two firefox tabs.
    4. Why doesn't the battery reach 100% charge?
    It is mostly normal and is generally assumed to be a precautionary measure for overcharging.
    5. How is the performance of this game with regards to gaming?
    Most games play fine on high/ultra setting except for Crysis/Metro 2033. But both are still playable. World of Warcraft with everything on Ultra runs fine - 50-60fps in big wintergrasp battles or raids, 30fps in crowded dalaran and over 100fps everywhere else.
    6. Why doesn't my laptop have a 2nd HDD bracket?
    The ASUS G53JAW-A1 does not come with the 2nd HDD bracket. You have to order it from an ASUS dealer that is authorized to do upgrades.
    7. Why can't my laptop play Blu-ray discs?
    Well, the obvious initial question for you is, "Do you have a Blu-ray ROM?" If not, then you have to buy one and replace the default DVD drive. If yes, then your vendor probably did not provide you a Blu-ray software. You have to go to ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support- and select Notebook in the first drop down, Apps in the second, and ASUSDVD in the third.It is a large download but it will get your Blu-ray drive going.
    8. What should I do if my FN (function) keys stop working?
    Go into Program Files (x86)> ASUS> ATK Hotkey and double click hcontrol.
    9. Why does my laptop hibernate even if I disable hibernation?
    You have to open up Power4Gear Hybird. Disable the option in "Miscellaneous Power Setting" for Hibernation.
    10. Should I upgrade the wireless card?
    The stock card is decent, but the upgrade is cheap and several users have reported improved speed and stability.
    11. How do I control the 3d settings (for 3DE)?
    The nvidia control panel on your computer has short cuts to reduce depth, conversion, etc. Alt+F3 and Alt+F4 reduces and increses depth, respectively. Alt+F12 enables/disables the 3d sight. Go the the nvidia control panel by going to hardware and sound in the control panel.
    Useful Links
    - 260.99 driver download link
    - 260.99 driver download alternate link
    - ASUS G73JW Discussion Thread
    - ASUS Utitlity and Bloatware Guide
    - ASUS Laptop Clean Install Guide

User Links
    - G53JW Review by Voodooi
    - Cosmetic Review by Butr0sButr0s
    - Guide for Disassembling the G53JW and Installing 2nd Hard Drive by bendok
    - Powercord/brick photos by Ursinus
    - Powerbrick brand photo by Ursinus
    - ASUS G53JW-A1 Overview by ibraveheart
    <width='480' height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SvF43_PK2sc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SvF43_PK2sc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width='480' height="385"></embed></object>
    - Black Ops Gameplay by ibraveheart
    <width='640' height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7TphDtUm0Is?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7TphDtUm0Is?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width='640' height="385"></embed></object>

NB: If you have any additional info. that you want to be added, then it would be my pleasure to add it, just shoot me a PM.

TipTip

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  2. Drusus

Drusus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for building the library TipTip. A good one stop shop.

'We now return to our previously scheduled impatient waiting' ;)

3. ecjuanmanuel

ecjuanmanuel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1 rep point for u thx for job

4. custom

custom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    May I ask what you did not like about the G73JW and how it would differ from a model only slightly smaller. Genuinely curious.

5. Drusus

Drusus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Personally - it is only an inch smaller but that is still measureable. The G53 is heavy enough and the extra pound for the G73 is 13% more. Basically it is still a bit bigger and heavier than I might want, but the compromise between that and the equipment it comes with and the fan setup make for a fair balance. I like the G73, however the G53 pushes my limits as is.

6. Ulags

Ulags Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi tiptip please do include the asus g53jw-xa1 thats on sale on amazon.com for 1300$..

7. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Definitely subscribed.

8. kutthoat5150

kutthoat5150 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    it says out of stock for me, is that because its sold out or because they haven't even gotten it yet? And does anybody who ordered it from there have an ETA on when they should be arriving?

9. emolitor

emolitor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not in stock and no ETA. I would guess that units will show up as soon as they are available at other retailers. (Maybe next week but more likely late November)

10. Magnificus

Magnificus Newbie

Reputations:
    I was psyched when the G73JW was announced. Even more so when the G53JW was announced at almost $200 plus cheaper with almost exact specs in the right places. The specs on offer for a $1500 laptop is astounding to say the least. But after watching the Youtube video reviews of the G53, I have to admit that my initial excitement has definitely gone down.

Here are a few of the kinks that made it a deal-breaker for me:

1) Its ridiculous that you have to literally disassemble the whole laptop to just gain access to the Hard Disk and the RAM. I am not an expert with laptop disassembly, but I definitely know how to remove a couple of screws and a panel to remove/change my HDD & RAM. And that's all that I ever want to do. Not remove a zillion screws and then lose track of which is which and what goes where, risk breaking parts, and risk not putting everything back as it was.

2) Still no RAID?? I thought ASUS would have listened to their customers who demanded it on the G73.

3) If in the future if I want to add another HDD or SSD, I need that metal casing thing(forgot what its actually called) to be able to attach it onto the 2nd dock. Its funny that ASUS wont just put it in even if it is empty so that users can add a 2nd hard drive by themselves.

4) According to the video I saw on youtube, the G53 has only 3 ports for RAM. I'd really have liked to have the standard 4 ports.

5) The finishing seems to have changed drastically from that of the G73. No rubberized matte finish anymore and just hard matte plastic that is supposedly less resistant to fingerprint oils.

6) The G53 is HUGE! 1.7 inches smaller on the screen size than the G73 but the overall size is still just barely smaller and lighter than the enormous G73. What's with the plus size dimensions? I'd have preferred to carry around a 15.6'' laptop with less effort.

Anyway, IMO these are the main points of dissension for me. I think I'll go back to drooling over pictures of the G73JW till I get mine a coupla weeks from now. It may not be perfect but it offers excellent value for money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.