Asus G53, the smaller version of the G73jh

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by yoyosupmang, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cb6000

cb6000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got my notebook on Thursday. UPS delivered it really late. Almost 8pm. It was a very long and tough wait. :p I haven't had a lot of time to really play with it. I did a clean installation of Windows 7 Ultimate (got it over Premium for more technical reasons). This thing is definitely beautiful. It's extremely quiet. It's almost as if the machine wasn't turned on at all. :D The screen is really good; I have to disagree with those that say the screen isn't good. Not that I plan to burn Blu-ray discs real soon (I have the Blu-ray RW/DVD-writer combo drive), but what software is recommended for burning Blu-ray discs? I'm also looking to see what I can do or if I need a driver update for the audio. I'm unable to figure out how to make adjustments on the treble and bass (using headphones).

2. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    Didn't the software come installed for your Blu-ray writer? Have you checked your box for the disk?

3. cb6000

cb6000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did install Roxio CinePlayer, which does play Blu-ray movies. As for the discs that came with my PC, I have the Asus Driver and Utility DVD v. 1.0 for the G53JW, a recovery DVD, and an OEM DVD for Windows 7 Ultimate.

4. Ulags

Ulags Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do any of you guys know how to confirm whether asus's global warranty is valid in india?

5. flubadoo

flubadoo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How is the screen compared to the Asus G73Jw's?

The G73Jw has a pretty hard-to-beat 909:1 contrast ratio. I wonder if the G53 can get at least 500:1, because I'm stuck here with my really bad 191:1...

Also, how bad/good is the keyboard flex?

And on the GenTech video review, the GPU was skyrocketing at 92C? I thought this was supposed to stay cool?

6. Justin@XoticPC

Justin@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:

Link & Link

India

ASUS Technology Pvt. Ltd. *
    18002090365 (10:00-18:00 Mon. ~ Sat.)

Mumbai (10:00-18:00 Mon. ~ Sat.)
    4C Gundecha Onclave, Kherani Road, Sakinaka, Andheri East, Mumbai- 400072, India.

Delhi Service Center (10:00-18:00 Mon. ~ Sat.)
    Flat No:404/405,4th Floor,86 Padma Palace, Nehru Place,NewDelhi-110019.INDIA.

Bangalore Service Center (10:00-18:00 Mon. ~ Sat.)
    3rd Floor, Kambi Complex,1105 OTC Road, Near SP Road, Corporation Circle,Nagarathpet,Bangalore-560002 Karnataka-INDIA.

7. JediTim

JediTim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Butr0sButr0s - I actually was thinking of this when I went to Best Buy...someone had pointed it out. While the screen wasn't what I would like knowing the the JW is better helps a lot.

@dookie - I actually realize that I will be looking directly at the laptop...able to tilt it either sideways or vertically and it isn't that big of a deal. However, I would be willing to spend a couple of extra $$'s to upgrade to a better screen. I also realize that the target market for the laptop is gaming which requires quicker response times on the screen rather than colors etc.

I have built the last several PC's with Asus MBs and have been very pleased and this is the reason I am getting the Asus laptop. Never been fond of either Dell, HP etc. Just wish I had the option for a better screen :)

8. ibraveheart

ibraveheart Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  9. AnimataurKo

AnimataurKo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hello my friends~
    I've come to tell ya'll how I'm doing, after having my G53 for a few weeks.
    So far, I've had it on all day every day, as I use it for work. Flash and Illustrator run quite smooth. Photoshop has a bit of a delay, but this is temporarily fixed with a system restart.
    Mine was upgraded to have a built in Blu Ray player, and man, this thing rocks. I just purchased a new television... my first blu ray experience was last weekend, and it was AMAZING. So, the HDMI connection is great! I also tried Left 4 Dead 2 on the big screen, and there was a small delay in the beginning... but afterwards, all my specs at their max, it was a glorious experience.
    Travel-wise, it isn't a pain to carry around. It's sitting in my lap right now, doesn't feel too heavy or clunky. It's rather nice. The screen has much cooler colors than my external monitor, but I don't know if this is a bad thing or good thing... it does get a little worrisome though, when it comes to my artwork. I don't know if my colors are the correct ones. Other than that, the monitor is nice and bright when it needs to be, and I normally keep it down near the lowest brightness, anyway. (When not working on something important, I mean.)
    As most of you know, I got mine with the rainbow keyboard lights, and it is still quite pretty. I thought it might get on my nerves after a time, but it's not noticeable to the point of annoyance or anything. I'm still happy with it!
    I'm waiting on that second hard drive to arrive, but I feel no urgency when it comes to hard drive space. First thing I did was partition my drives and establish a little storage system, which my other computers probably would have appreciated!
    Voodooi my poor friend, I'm so sorry to hear the bad news... I actually hide my laptop in it's backpack when I'm not taking it with me to the outside world, because I know what it is like to be robbed like that. I actually stopped bringing my laptop outside because of a string of bus muggings that have been happening on the route I usually take. Scary stuff.

I did notice a defect or two in the laptop's design. It isn't hard to live with, though it can be distracting if you are in a mood. The lid of my machine is lopsided when it is closed. The left side, by the hinge, sinks in lower than the right side. Also, the corners near the front of the lid sometimes pop out, and I'm not sure if it is because of the way I'm opening the lid or what... I mean... I'm pretty gentle, so what gives? Other than that, and a slightly squeaky button the keyboard, the machine is fantastic!

10. Darksieg

Darksieg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @Anima
    Might want to read this review :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.