Asus G53, the smaller version of the G73jh

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by yoyosupmang, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTim

JediTim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your responses...I am definintely now leaning towards the G73 now. I will probably stop by BestBuy just to see the laptop in person for the size of the laptop. I do think the better viewing angles are also a selling point and I read the G53 has issues with blacks looking gray.

I will be reading through the G73 owners lounge this weekend. Then I just need to customize the laptop from one of the resellers with an SSD and such.
    Thanks, Tim

2. Butr0sButr0s

Butr0sButr0s Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good ideas all around. Know that the G73 at best buy has an inferior screen to those you buy through the resellers on this message board, so if you like what you see there you'll love a G73 bought elsewhere. I also can't advocate for a solid state drive enough, I have one in my G53 and absolutely love it. In fact its the only drive in my G53 - its silent, cuts down on vibration, heat, and weight, I figure if I ever need more space I'll pick up an external to store archives.

3. JediTim

JediTim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info on the screen at Best Buy...I didn't know that and may have been disappointed.

As for a SSD...I have installed one in my Main PC and my HTPC and absolutely love the performance boost. Start-up time to W7 Ultimate is usually under 25 seconds and a restart takes less than a minute. I use an OCZ Vertex 2 and can't imagine building another PC without a SSD.

4. bendok

bendok Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Once you go SSD you never go back. And for games that thrash your hard drive constantly (like WoW for instance) the difference is staggering.

5. ryzeki

ryzeki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Go to Nvidia C panel and get Digital Vibrance up to enhance the colors, reduce brightness a tad bit, adjust contrast to liking.

You can really improve colors, but I advice you use your backlight around 50% tops, I usually end up with around 30% backlight because it is plenty bright and blacks look ok.

6. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    We have already shipped dozens of ASUS G53JW-A1 with 2nd HDD's and we use nothing but G53JW HDD brackets.

7. Justin@XoticPC

Justin@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Strange that multiple contacts at U.S. ASUS HQ including PM's and multiple other contacts say otherwise, quite firmly and without hesitation... :rolleyes: Our contacts have heard about some being modded out in the market.

8. DT770

DT770 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As far as screens, I think the screen on my g53 is very good (although i can see how ppl can say its alittle white-ish, mine seems to have solid blacks)
    I also think my G53 screens are much better than some of the G73JW pictures of the forum with light leaks

9. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Meh, I'm not too picky about the screen. As long as the resolution is not 1366x768, then I'll be happy. I love(d) the 1280x800 on my HP Dv2610us. The 1366x768 on my work's Dell Vostro 3400 looks like garbage. Everything's all big, and there's hardly any space to do anything or put anything. 1600x900 is huge on my desktop monitor, so I'm fine with the G53's reso.

Only thing is, can those of you who own one, compare it to the HP Brightview monitors that we commonly see at Staples, OfficeDepot, Walmart, Frys, etc. on the HP lappies? Is it brighter/better?

10. shor

shor Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I was waiting for g53jw-a1 for sometime, but now I became uncertain.

When I first saw video reviews of this notebook, I got an impression that screen lacks something. Especially when put next to g73jw, the picture on g73jw looked more contrasted, more colorfull, in my opinion. But I decided it was a fault of a camera that pictured it maybe or it just so seemed to me.

Now people talking about the screen, some confirming my impression, some say it's a good screen, but I cannot find videos of good quality, showing the screen (they just show it's viewing angles, but that's not what concernes me most).

So, if you have this notebook and didn't yet describe your impression of the screen, could you please do it, or maybe show some videos (especially with comparision of g73 and g53-a1, that would be awesome).

@rancid: if you will manage to somehow improve image quality with some tools, please let know, because I'm also concerned with this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.