1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus G53, the smaller version of the G73jh

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by yoyosupmang, Apr 14, 2010.

1. yoyosupmang

yoyosupmang Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I was looking at youtube reviews of the Asus g73jh when I came across the designers of the G73 doing a review. At one of the youtube comments below the video, they hint a smaller version.

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEyTtSy1C_o

Xenoni one question
    is there gonna be 15'' product of this babe ?

techinstyle (uploader) @Xenoni
    Yes, it is around July 2010. G53, it is called.
    Stay tuned for more details :) Thanks.

Does anybody have any info on this? A 15inch version would be killer with a 5870. I already have a beast desktop so a 15inch would be more suitable for me to carry around than a g73.

2. gstboy

gstboy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    would be awesome if it has the same specs as the 73.

3. kowell

kowell Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It would be surprising to see a new G5x laptop since the G51JX was recently updated. Still... that would be pretty sweet.

I doubt it would have the same spec as the G73 since it would hurt G73's sales but I guess something similar to the MSI GX740/GX640 relation would be possible with an ATI 5850, which would still be pretty good.

4. SparhawkJC

SparhawkJC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone hear anything recently about this? I would be all over a G53 even if it had the ATI 5850 with an i5.

5. dzuchowski

dzuchowski Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    its called the g61jx

6. lackofcheese

lackofcheese Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, if they put an HD 5850 and an i5 in it they'd have a nice competitor to the MSI GX640.

7. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Only if this is true and releasing soon... :rolleyes: (daydreaming)

8. URPradhan

URPradhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wish they should continue with Full HD as its in G73 and do not care which graphics card they use (low price / onboard graphics will do for me :) )

9. Justin@XoticPC

Justin@XoticPC Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There is talk on new models but the last we heard was late Q3/Q4 for ETA. G53 and G63 designed similar to the G73 and similar specs. From what has been speculated so far is when this model comes out it will have a NVIDIA GPU. The G73 will be going away from ATi also.

10. hakira

hakira <3 xkcd

Reputations:
    I wonder why asus would choose to go with an inferior card in a gaming laptop - fermi cards have the "right stuff" on paper performance wise but in realworld use they are going to end up cooking some laps (sup 8xxx series). Especially after the whole bit about designing the g73 to run cool...

11. Forge

Forge Super Stylin'

Reputations:
    G53? They're skipping G52?

12. SparhawkJC

Reputations:
    I think it all has to do with ASUS embracing Optimus and wishing to make it standard throughout their whole line. Personally I would prefer DX11 and manual switching to Optimus.

13. mylowrider

mylowrider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Although ATI is the top dog right now, Nvidea has more driver support and more features such as CUDA. And the MR 5870 isn't even that much cooler than its Nvidea counterpart.

If you think about it, the whole time ATI was playing catchup, Nvidea made their own programming code.

I for one would prefer Optimus because it will lead to cooler temps and longer battery life. Optimus would be the successor to PowerMizer, instead of downclocking the GPU how about switching the GPU to integrated?

14. hakira

hakira <3 xkcd

Reputations:
    If you REALLY think about it, ATI is the smart one (building better chips and letting 3rd party internet coders fix up their drivers for them). NVidia certainly does have optimus and cuda going for them, but since cuda is NV exclusive game programmers would be foolish to fully take advantage of cuda.

And I'd say the 5870 is a fair bit cooler than the fermi cards we've heard of so far... a 5870 in a g73 will top out at 90-95 under furmark loads, while the fermis supposedly idle at those temps :(

Optimus is definitely cool though

15. paperbag846

paperbag846 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think ATI has a huge leg up. NVIDIA cards have not really innovated since the 8000 series, and they have had their fair share of reliability issues.

NVIDIA seems to be in survival mode right now, and while their driver support for games is better, their chips themselves seem to be lacking in any real forward-thinking.

FERMI might change the game, but in the end, they will only really catch up to ATI, who will still be a few steps ahead...

I think the big indicator will be what card sony and microsoft decide to use in their next gaming systems. I'm not convinced either company will go with NVIDIA due to RMA issues.

16. SparhawkJC

Reputations:
    It might also depend on who is quickest to bring cost effective 3d gaming to the masses. From the reviews that I've heard of people playing Metro 2033 with 3d it is a considerable game changer. Nvidia has the edge here, already making 3d gaming available while ATI is still working on their 3d technology.

I agree though with the power and heat generated by the FERMI cards it's quite easy to see a repeat of the RROD issues that plagued early Xbox360s
    if they chose Nvidia.

17. Berserk515

Berserk515 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've tried 3d gaming and I have to say, it's quite gimmicky. I don't know why it's so popular. As for movie though, its pretty bad azz. but only worth using when your watching something beautiful, like avatar. Okay movie, only thing that wowed me was the visuals.

18. ribtits

ribtits Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  19. ziddy123

ziddy123 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hmm I guess if you like ATi, best to with the G73jh now. And then hope when the 6xxx series is released Asus will release a notebook with that also at a later point.

20. Chastity

Chastity Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It would be interesting to see if the new cooling design can actually manage and tame a Fermi MGPU. At 100W load usage, it may be a bit tough.