Asus G51Jx Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by janvandongen, May 28, 2010.

1. rexrzer727

rexrzer727 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here's that graphic that I alluded to in my last post, sorry about that but I neglected to post it I got so involved with writing that couple of graphs there, as some of it confused even me!

The graphiX here simply shows what Everest conceives of the 2GB SODIMM of Patriot memory that I am presently using in the notebook to make up 8GB of RAM with the OEM 6GB of Kingston 1333Mhz RAM.

It shows that indeed Micron makes the RAM for Patriot in this instance, and perhaps others also, I dunno, but surely in this instance that is the case: Micron RAM it is!

That's about it, again sorry I neglected to post this in the last write I did about this complex RAM subject... :cool:

2. Jack2727

Jack2727 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    had to uninstall the Intel management engine, because AVG detected it as a virus and wouldnt let it run....
    Even after uninstall and reinstall AVG still thinks its a virus, I did some browsing online and other people are also having this problem with AVG

Update: I know as a fact that ASUS wouldn't put a virus infected file o nthere own website, not to mention I had that thing installed since i got this comp, so i just added the SUPPOSIVE infected file to the exceptions list (UDS.exe)

Uninstalled and reinstalled just to make sure it wasnt a virus

3. blizzyblunt

blizzyblunt Newbie

Reputations:
  4. Hino

Hino Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What does that intel management engine do?

I wouldn't trust the asus download site if I were you. last time I updated my wireless driver, I end up with BSOD right after restart.

5. rexrzer727

Reputations:
    It really doesn't matter which one of these you pick as they will *both work* fine in your laptop, however there's a review from an owner of an Asus G73JH that is on the page with the 1st listed RAM, which is a companion model notebook to our G51 series notebooks, and he said that the RAM is "perfect" for his computer...so at least there's a recommendation there for the 1st listed RAM which you could use to justify a purchase of that 1st listed RAM type module. ;)

So the choice is yours really, as they'll both work fine in your new laptop if it's a G51-series of some sort, as you don't identify which notebook you own in your post...so which notebook do you have, then may I ask? :rolleyes:

We should have a hard and fast rule here that people can't post if they don't identify which notebook they presently own, but it will never happen at notebookreview.com I'll betcha, and I wouldn't have to be asking this person the question I just did. :p

It is a good idea however, generically speaking about RAM purchases, to buy the same BRAND of RAM that your notebook has, if possible, and if the notebook in question here has Kingston RAM in it then I'd be inclined to purchase the same brand I already have in the notebook if you get my drift here. :)

When I bought a 2GB SODIMM for my notebook, to fill up the available slot to make up 8GB RAM vs having 6GB RAM in the notebook, I had the opportunity to purchase Kingston RAM at Amazon.com, but I passed because there was one review about the Kingston RAM at Amazon.com that gave it a bad rating, saying it was "fake" and some other interesting comments, so I went with the Patriot brand RAM and it has worked out purrrrfect in my notebook, when I am using 8GB RAM, instead of 12GB or 16GB RAM, which are the other choices I have. I have 4 Corsair 4GB SODIMMs for use when I want/need 16GB RAM in the notebook, or when I want/need to have 12GB RAM I have that contingent available also, with two Corsair SODIMMs along with two Kingston SODIMMs, I guess...you could say that "I have all bases covered" with respect to RAM in my G51-series notebook! :D :D :D

The notebook works optimally for testing and game playing with 8GB RAM, and for Photoshop extended use, or when I am working with my cinema programs such as Avid or Sony Vegas, or Pinnacle Studio for sound track work, I have the option to install up to 16GB RAM in the notebook...my choice... It's quite simple, at this point having done it so many times, to pop off the back cover of my notebook and install whatever contingent of RAM I prefer for a given day's work, but in all honestly I feel most secure and prepared for any assignment or use with 12GB RAM, as that feels like the size contingent that is best for ALL uses. :smile:

But right now, with 8GB RAM on the way up to Corsair for an RMA exchange I am using the 4 x 2GB SODIMMs for an 8GB pairing and things couldn't be better, if you ask me...so that may be my *permanent* contingent with my G51 notebook, however since I own 4 x 4GB SODIMMs of the Corsair brand I'll keep my options "open" with respect to RAM use and just take it in stride right now about RAM allocations... :cool:

Jack, why don't you just dump the AVG stuff, it's sort of my worst favorite type of anti-virus program...just an aside for your uses of the notebook. I suggest that you use Microsoft's free "Security Essentials" as that one is pretty seamless, works great in my experience as a virus catcher/scanner and overall security system. :D

Plus it's *made* by Microsoft itself, and for that reason alone it works very, very well with the OS by MS, my opinion only right there but it seems to be the case as I use it in two of my Core i7 desktops right now and it's been great so far...I can't even tell it's On or Off when it's working, there's no lags, keyboard stuttering, or other tell-tale signs of a laggy anti-virus program using the Security Essentials suite. ;)

That would be my suggestion for you today, and again it's simply my subjective view of AVG as I had very bad luck using it in the past, and will not use it in any computer that I own or work on for friends, family, or business either! :cool:

6. blizzyblunt

blizzyblunt Newbie

Reputations:
    thanx for the info. I have the asus g51j-x1 currently with 4gb. I figured they both would work but I value your Opinion with this choice. I read these forms all the time and I think you do more things for this laptop than asus themself with all the testing and see what works the best.....you really know what your doing so thanks for all you been doing for us users who read these forms. I defenly got to get a ssd drive I read that post so I bet your laptop flys....oh and how do I remove the throttleing again 106 post is alot to read again.

7. oneb1t

oneb1t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    invest into SSD first ;-) more than 4GB is useless for 98% of programs and games

8. Jack2727

Jack2727 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was using a fulll version of Bitdefender Total Security, but I stopped using it after I got that friggin Vundo virus. So I switched to AVG because its cheap and it works

9. oneb1t

oneb1t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    im using microsoft security essentials :) AVG sux :D

10. rexrzer727

Reputations:
    You're quite welcome, and thank you for the nice compliments as they are appreciated a bunch! Like oneb1t wrote, an SSD is really the top choice for an upgrade in one of these rocket-like laptops, not that adding more RAM isn't a good thing to do also, but an SSD is like well...it's like putting a blowtorch to gunpowder and feeling the blast! Hah! There's no goin' back to a conventional HD once you have an SSD, it's the worst addiction since heroin got put on the dangerous drug lists, I mean an SSD is an incredible thing, it truly is!

I'm at work right now on my PC workstation, but that laptop of mine is a freaky little thing with the OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, it truly is. I don't like to write much about it unless there's a reason to, and since you mentioned it I'll give it a spin for a couple sentences and then let the ideas create their own ripples if in fact they do, and you all can have a good old fashioned discussion about SSD's if you want, and I'll chime in if asked. :D

My friend/business associate SassiMac, the Aussie guy I just sent a new laptop down to JUST LIKE MY OWN--LITERALLY A DUPLICATE-- got me started on the SSD kick because he's been using one in his MacBook Pro for a long, long time, long before they became "fashionable" to have, and once I installed my 1st SSD, which was an Intel X-25M 160GB SSD in my former No.1 laptop, the UL30VT-X1, I was hooked, line, and sinker hooked on SSD's and their speedy rendition of data transfer, and I mean to tell you it is not subtle! :nah:

Truth be told, this laptop of mine will cold start in 30 seconds or less, and will restart in about 1/2 of that time, about 18 seconds or thereabouts for starters, and launching programs is freakin' instantaneous, there IS no waitin' no sir, none of that! Unfortunately I cannot actually describe accurately *how fast is fast* with an SSD, as SassiMac would say (that's his phrase, "How fast is fast?"...so I won't try to steal it, he wrote it first!) because you've got to experience it to believe it, to feel it, to see it, and to understand it. Suffice to say it is so fast that you wonder how the Hell it got to be like that!? Hah-Hah! :biggrin:

The newest deal in SSD's is the Sandforce Controller Mechanism, and my OCZ Vertex 2 has got that feature, and OCZ has really written some xlnt firmware to compliment it, and I highly recommend OCZ as the right "choice" to make when you are buying an SSD these days, so remember that if/when you get a chance to get an SSD at some point...and that's the key, firmware, and optimizing and showcasing the performance that all SSD's have at first: the trick is maintaining it over time, and that is where the Sandforce Controller Mechanism shines its best, where it really matters and it's the No. 1 reason I bought the OCZ brand in the 1st place, because these people are speed phreaks to beat the band! :radar: :wideeyed:

They have written no less than 4 different firmware updates since they started with the Sandforce Controllers and made the Vertex 2, Agility 2, and Vertex LE available for sale last Spring 2010, and each update has made these SSD's better and better to the point that I don't know how much better they can be made, but if there's a way OCZ is gonna find it! :yes:

I knocked the crap out of the company because they have failed to produce their fabled "OCZ Sandforce Controller Toolkit" as yet, in my review at Amazon.com on their SSD, but I also complimented them highly on their firmware writing, and I'm gonna do it again here, today, just because they do such a great job at writing their firmware to compliment their Sandforce SSDs. :yes: :yes: :yes:

The latest firmware release is v1.22, and I'm not running it yet, I'm still @ v1.11 which is what my SSD came with, but eventually I'll update it to v1.22 and this is killah firmware, and really makes the Sandforce SSD's perform miraculously they tell me, suffice to say I'm really pleased with v1.11 though! My SSD to this day reads and writes in the key registries at speeds as high as 285MB/sec reads, and up to 275MB/sec write speeds, so this is truly amazing in a notebook, I can assure anybody reading this. THAT IS FAST! :smile:

To compare, my Intel SSD reads at up to 250-270MB/sec this is true, but only in certain key file sizes, while the Sandforce SSD's do it across the spectrum of file sizes! And then the Intel SSD writes at a paltry 80-120MB/sec when it's optimized to do so....less if not by the Intel SSD Toolkit...so the OCZ SSD's really have the bull by the tail when it comes to speed and performance, and that's the whole reason to buy an SSD in the 1st place! Speed! Performance! That's what it's all about! :rolleyes2:

I don't want to go off the deep end here, but I encourage you to read my review of the Vertex 2 120GB SSD over at Amazon.com under the name "Wavey Davey", which is my byline there, if you want some in-depth data about the SSD in question, and also I wrote a really long, involved review of the Intel X-25M 160GB SSD at Amazon also, so you can look that up too, same name, same byline there, if you want some really key and interesting explanations of the terminology and bywords of SSD's, so I'll leave that up to you readers to search them out because they are worth reading, trust me if you're into SSD technology read those reviews because I flat-out GET INTO IT! :chatterbox:

The key to using an SSD in a notebook is to get it created correctly, and that means get it Aligned correctly, and you don't want to create partitions on an SSD because that defeats the whole purpose of having an SSD work for you in the best way possible, as they store data in particularly special ways in special places in their cell structures, so don't go putting partitions on your SSD if/when you ever get one, just leave them be, Align it correctly, use PAT (Paragon Alignment Tool) if necessary to do it right as rain, but do that then you can use the SSD to really enjoy your notebook because they make them very, very special once installed. :notworthy:

Don't keep any media library on them either, use an external HD for that sort of thing, just use the SSD for your applications and important programs you use, and the OS, and that is ALL you should be putting on an SSD otherwise you might as well just keep a conventional HD and not get an SSD. :eek2:

People overburden their SSD's with trivial data and music libraries and iTunes, and the like, then they wonder "Where did all that performance go that I had when it was new?" So don't get into that trap, I'll warn all of you reading this against putting lots of media on an SSD because that is for other HD's not your SSD, if you want to keep performance high over time. The Sandforce SSD's do "housekeeping" when left idle, or shall I say when "left idling" with the computer turned on but nothing going on, so you need to understand that about them also. So let your Sandforce SSD have a couple hours "idle time" every other day or two, just so it does its organizing and cleaning up routines correctly, and that helps keep the speed up over time also. :wink:

Other than that simple practice, they are to ENJOY and BEHOLD, because there's nothing like an SSD's speed! It's incredible to experience and even I cannot do an adequate job of actually explaining what that feeling is like, so trust me on it though, and remember that I told you it's like nothing you've ever felt your notebook do before, that much is certain about it... it's like supercharging your automobile or turbocharging it as it might be, ie you just can't tell people what that is like, they have to feel it themselves before they believe it, and it's the same with an SSD's speed...it IS worthy of all the hype and talk that is all I can tell you about it, and you will get addicted, everybody does who tries it! :spinny:

That's enough, I'm done for the day on SSD's, just wanted to give a little taste of SSD-ness to everyone today and tell you all yes, it is the No.1 thing to do to improve performance today in any computer, especially a notebook because we use them so much as a genre these days. I mean let's face it notebooks are happening, yes? Right! Everybody wants a nice, fast notebook, bar none, and an SSD is the No.1 thing to add to your notebook if you really want to enhance its potential and enjoy it 110%, bar none! :twitchy:

There is no substitute for SSD's speed, it speaks for itself and it's worthy of all the talk, hype and ooh and aaahing you could give the subject, so I'll just leave it at that: get one, you'll love it like no other addition to your notebook could be loved! :cool: