1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus G51Jx Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by janvandongen, May 28, 2010.

1. Caziban

Caziban Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I'm trying to play BF3 with this laptop and I noticed that it was running pretty darn slow.

I did gpu-z benchmark and I saw that my GPU was reaching these stats:
    By the way, here are the results for GPU-Z, I don't know what any of this stuff means: http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/11/10/28/afa.png <--- Stats http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/11/10/28/xx.png <--- Stats when Idle http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/11/10/28/fct.png <--- Stats when Gaming
    HOLY . 98 C?? Is that normal? http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/11/10/28/7kn.png <-- Stats after gaming for about 10 minutes. 105c

Is this normal for this laptop? I asked around on another forum and they claimed that that's incredibly high.

2. jason3

jason3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did anyone try the new drivers? I haven't updated since 260.99 :/ but I keep getting an error while trying to play battlefield 3 asking me to update my drivers. (I'm running it at 720p, medium, I get 20-25 fps)

3. Kibble Fat

Kibble Fat Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It's worth a try. The graphics drivers tend to remain stable with each update. BIOS updates? not so much.

4. NewGuy10

NewGuy10 Newbie

Reputations:
  5. budi_87

budi_87 Newbie

Reputations:
    I did installed 285.62 driver about a week ago. and I find that this new driver doesn't know how to be adaptive which to me is a BIG flaw. so I go reinstall the old 280.26 driver for now. I say dont update it yet if you can play using that driver of yours. but its your call. I do find some dramatic stability increase in gaming. However, I also realize that the GPU temp was running a lot higher when IDLE, Averaging at 65 degrees Celsius during idle. I got worried so I tested the GPU by watching a normal 720p movie, The temperature shoots up to at least 84 degrees before the fan starts spinning full blast making the temp goes down. when the fan slow down, the temperature wont stay idle it will go up again to 84 degrees and then the cycle repeats itself. This is also about 10 degrees higher than the usual GPU temp when I have the 280.26 driver installed and much more stable at 70+ degrees without it throttling up and down that drastically. What BUGGED me is when I played some video which shouldn't require the GPU to work that hard. but it did anyway. the temp also shoots up to 84 degrees. During gaming, I usually gets up to 94 degrees Celsius tops on both drivers. Has anyone tried it yet? do you have the same problem I have?

6. AndrewCP

AndrewCP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I get this on my RX05. I'm starting to believe the new driver is the culprit because it happens in all my games. That includes old ones such as BF2. After a few minutes of playing my GPU reaches those temperatures and downclocks significantly causing low frame rates and choppiness (sometimes to the point where the game becomes unplayable). This is especially with the fan running full blast (idle temps seem to be normal though).

7. jason3

jason3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Yes, I get pretty high temps as well :/ (93-94°C while gaming) I tried the new drivers and BF3 runs pretty good, it stays at 25-30 fps at 720p, with everything on medium, too bad this machine gets so hot, so I can't play for too long :(

But on the other hand, while my laptop is idle (or not gaming in general) it doesn't go higher than 70°C

8. AndrewCP

Reputations:
  9. Kibble Fat

Kibble Fat Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Be sure to seal off the gap between the top face of the fan housing to the underside of the lappy. this will help force the cool air into it. Also inside the cooler, seal off any holes that the fans aren't blowing through. :cool:

10. AndrewCP

Reputations:
    +1 Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to remember that! I think you can position the fans to where you want but I'll do that as well.

11. janvandongen

janvandongen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Indeed good to see some old friends visiting the thread. welcome back guys! Although I no longer am in possession of this great machine I still log in at times to keep page 1 up to date, hoping to help others in the process.

Rex, I agree to a point with you. Page 1 should help most that look for specific information about the G51Jx, and for the others the creative discussions are most welcome, as long as they are 'sort of' on topic: somewhere related to the G51jx, or to the type of power it brings. (which is still largely unparalleled value if you ask me).

Everybody, feel welcome to keep on adding to the thread, and Rex, i really hope you come back at times and keep us in check and add the occasional insight, of which you have so many. Thanks for how you pushed this thread in the right direction.

MrGMcD, sorry, i tried looking through the thread for you as I vaguely remember something about the stutter issue, but I gave up due to the sheer number of pages, apparently I forgot to add it to page 1 at the time, sorry for that!

Regards,
    Jan van Dongen

12. freskoff

freskoff Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folks!!:))
    I've just discovered this G51 community & already felt myself a little bit lucky. So, welcome the newbee!)))
    I have a disaster , looks like my G51Jx-A1 motherboard is fried!((( My case is definitely not covered by the ASUS warranty, futhermore - it's in Russia.
    Laptop is presently in some kind of "home made" workshop & I have to use my previously retired F3Tc.
    Please advise my some proved e-store in US (not for commercial purpose offcourse) where I can buy the suitable one; or may be some of you can type the motherboard series ( original numbers) which will be Ok for replacement.
    Many thanks in advance!;))

13. josh1980

josh1980 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello forum. I bought my Asus G51JX laptop about 18 months ago and I've had a problem that has nagged me since about a week after I bought my laptop.

After buying my G51JX I upgraded to an Intel SSD hard drive and upgraded to Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. I was able to install windows without a hitch. All drivers installed except for one. The built-in webcam driver. I ultimately did find a driver online that worked but my picture was always upside down. I verified that the webcam was not installed upside-down by installing the original hard drive that came with the computer. The webcam worked perfectly.

I've chosen not to use my webcam, but I've finally decided that I want to resolve this issue. Since the forum seems to be filled with knowledgable people I'm hoping someone has the answer.

Using the first post I downloaded the alleged correct drivers. I say alleged because I cannot personally verify that the drivers are correct. When I try to install the drivers I tried to install them using the installer. I get an error signifying that the hardware is not installed. I then try manually installing the drivers using the device manager. Once I select the driver everything looks like it will work then the final screen says "Driver is not intended for this platform." I've tried Googling this error and I could never get it resolved.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can install the correct driver? I'm sure I have downloaded the correct one. I got a hunch I can edit the .inf file to make the driver think it's compatible, but again I couldn't Google my way out of this problem.

Edit: I did go back and found the drivers that I had installed. They seemed to work fine with the exception that I always looked like I was hanging from the ceiling. Those drivers were version 61.5.200.280.

14. Jack2727

Jack2727 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    its been so long since I was last on this forum, still running my G51jx at school but I now have a custom built uber machine so I don't use it as much as I use to.

josh1980, many people have had a hard time installing some of the drivers that are provided from the site. Most people usually fix this problem by using the driver disc which usually comes with the laptop. Another way people fixed this problem is to go the route you did, by going to the webcams manufacturer and downloading a newer driver from there.

As for your current driver issue about the upside down image, you might want to look up in other forums. It could be that the current driver is bugged and is therefore not stable.

Also, I started my second year of Computer Systems Technician ; )

15. josh1980

josh1980 Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, I've tried everything I could to get the camera to work correctly, and I give up. I've probably spent about 20 hours total trying different drivers and whatnot to get it to work. Guess I should be glad I don't use the webcam.

16. amenisto

amenisto Newbie

Reputations:
    ok, Thats how i solved GPU heating problem, i use Verde 280.26 drivers for my gts 360m it usualy heats until 108 C° then laptop resets itself if i play SOTS II or whatever game, watch TV and leave some seeding stuff, ok so what i did, i took old cpu cooler, break all bottom cooler pins, that it was all round and fit on GPU plate

[​IMG],

connected it to USB cabel then, took my supplement top cover
    [​IMG]

check this out how to make usb-cooler connection
    How to make a USB powered fan - YouTube

then made some holes with screwdriver before i heated the screwdriver on oven put some sticking stuff and thats it now it runs skyrim on full detail at 75°c :D idleGPU temp less then 43c °, so its easy and cheap way to moddify :) g51 xexe

[​IMG]

17. pedroled

pedroled Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

My G51Jx is continuing shutting down randomly. Most times when GPU is stressed (games or graphics software) but sometimes when I am doing light tasks, as Internet for example. FurMark max temp was 92C and idle is 42C what it's ok, because I keep the fan cleaned and constant monitoring, but I am almost absolutely sure that's GPU because always when it get's some harder graphic task the laptop shuts down. I use the lastest drives from nvidia.

It could be the bios or vbios? Currently using bios version 208 by asus site and vbios version is 70.15.39.00.04 (GPU-Z information). Flash the vbios is impossible to GTS 360m?

My clocks are underclocked and it continuous to shuts down, but less than default settings.

Please, help me!! I can send any further information.

18. amenisto

amenisto Newbie

Reputations:
    i use the same 208 bios, u can update bios to any versio i have the same 360 gts, so copu file to flash drive and in bios just do flashbios ant loud new bios, but 208 is best now

19. pedroled

pedroled Newbie

Reputations:
    I found the problem after try a lot of stuffs:

It was a OEM bad memory. One of three 2GB modules was bad. What makes me surprise it was OEM, but better than a MB or GPU..

Thanks for reply!

20. Dacien

Dacien Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah but that looks way fugged, man. Can you imagine pulling that out at Starbucks? o_O

Anyone have some cooling modifications that don't look like a tweeker got at it? (No offense amenisto!)