ASUS G51 Cooling mod

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by kondor999, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dj_74

dj_74 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just figured out that using my G51J not in dual-screen mode (xtra monitor attached, extended desktop) would also bring down the temp. of the GPU somewhat 12 to 13 degrees (105 to 93/92).

Ambient temp. also has a big(!) influence, cannot give some measurements yet, because I cannot accurately measure the ambient temp.

Bought mine in Europe and am living in China now; I figured why asus is not selling these models in China...

2. RainMotorsports

RainMotorsports Formerly ClutchX2

Reputations:
    Yes having multiple monitors on brings the card up to extended voltages and clocks the same as a game would. I found on my 9800M that if i unplugged the monitor it wasn't always leaving that state causing unneeded heat.

Lowering the voltages with the clocks would actually have a bigger effect than just lowering the clock speed. Mind you, you would have to flash such settings and clock speeds are limited by the voltage so they do go hand in hand.

So are you guys not able to edit and flash the vbios? Because if your looking to change the non extended states thats the best way. The card should already throttle itself.

3. sgtarky

sgtarky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    oh well looks like I might have to go computer shopping, its a shame this thing has lots of life left except for it overheating. this model takes a standard mxm module doesnt it? i have 2 asus with mxm cards but I know one of them is reversed. I wonder if i can just find a lower model mxm for the swap

whooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooo 120c :p[​IMG]

4. RainMotorsports

RainMotorsports Formerly ClutchX2

Reputations:
    Talking about the swap, the G50 was reversed and we do 260M GTX swaps from G51/60's into G50's so i think there is the answer.

Apparently the G73 isnt as it turns out which surprised me.

5. sgtarky

sgtarky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    wasnt the 50's card pretty hot too?

6. Illz

Illz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    sqtarky i don't know how the hell your temps are that high. Probably your repasting is screwed try repasting again carefullly. I have the same laptop with no mods at all just and i run around 50 - 53 idle and 90 - 93 while gaming. make sure you have the latest driver as it under clocks the gpu when not in use. Also clean out your fans if not don't yet. Last but not least if nothing works just drill through the fake vent.

7. MilkIt79

MilkIt79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree with Illz. this does seem like a botched thermal paste job. It should only be a very thin layer of paste. A thick layer will result in the sort of temps we appear to be seeing on your system. Before you declair 'game over man' you should seriously give this a second go. Especially since you don't seem to be having any hardware malfunctions as a result of your high temperatures. Your laptop might be perfectly fine once you fix the paste situation. If you post some pictures of your paste job I might be able to further help you. At the very least take it into your local computer shop and let them a have a go of it. Anything you try has got to be cheaper than a complete replacement.

8. DCx

DCx Banned!

Reputations:
    I was pretty sure the nvidia card got some massive throttling around 105, and turned itself off at 115 ...

9. MilkIt79

MilkIt79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here you can see a blurry picture of my g51vx when I installed a new CPU and fresh thermal paste. You are going to want to gently clean the surface of the chips and lightly apply a small amount of thermal paste.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If the layer of paste is too thick or lumpy it will actually increase the temperatures.

10. GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch Newbie

Reputations:
    Open question-

Last week I applied new thermal paste to my G51-VX in hopes of lowering the startlingly high temps. However in the process my laptop has been running several degrees hotter on average than before. I used a two-stage chipset cleaning solution to make the chips as clean as can be and then applied Arctic Silver 5 to the chips. Prior to doing so I studied up on proper paste application techniques and spent a good hour taking my time to make sure I did it all correctly. After 2 more attempts at re-pasting, I was still getting higher temp readings in benchmarks. Where Furmark was giving me readings of 93-95 degrees Celsius before, now I get up to 100 before I exit prematurely in fear of damagin the GPU. So my question is this, what am I possibly doing wrong here?? I've read of people using the same two stage cleaner and AC5 on the same laptop and getting 10 degree C temp drops. Any insight from a more well-knowledged mind would be appreciated. I'd hate to break this computer, it was a gift from my gf 2 months ago.
    I have also tried a different thermal paste from Vantec.

Also, is the mod where you cut a hole over the fan worth the effort? This seems like a lucrative idea I may try out.

Thanks.
    -Jordan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.