ASUS G51 Cooling mod

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by kondor999, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilkIt79

MilkIt79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the Info, pictures and videos everyone. I modded my G51VX today. I have also replaced the stock CPU with a P8700 ES I got off Ebay for 50$. It overclocks to 3GHz. I set the GPU Profile to go from 200/400/400 to the gaming settings of 550/1400/800(i don't overclock the mem). Windows ex 6.5/6.5/6.8/6.8/5.9. 3D06 11248 2.0=5209 3.0=5090 CPU=2622. Vantage P4500 GPU=4236 CPU=5538. Temps: Idle CPU=43c GPU=61c Max CPU=63c GPU=85c(BFBC2) Room temp 26c

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. sgtarky

sgtarky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am definately getting thermal shut down, my s1/s3 settings are off, yes It has been dedusted, slapped some more artic silver on it , granted I may not have done that correctly. I was playing a movie on it last night, hdmi out to tv it shut down 40 mins into it. siting at 92c right now typing this message, that is all i am doing. I think its going to give it up. btw the JX has a different vidcard, ya think it might be cooler? where do I find the underclocking settings?

3. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You're idling at 92? That's really hot, you should redo your thermal paste as a first step. Maybe the heatsink isn't making proper contact.

The 360m does run a bit cooler, I haven't seen anyone swap it out. The heatsinks are different, I'm not sure if it would work without a mod: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?800-G51-Series-thermal-design-differences

Unless you're overclocking you really shouldn't be pushing thermal shutdown on the G51J.

4. Illz

Illz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You shouldnt be get such high temps. Make should in the nvidia control panel you have set it to adaptive instead of prefer maximum performance. Get a cooling pad too if you dont have one. Make sure the thermal paste has proper contact with the gpu.
    I have the same laptop and i idle around 50 - 52 without any mod
    And while gaming around 90-91 with an overclock.

5. sgtarky

Reputations:
    yikes, 113c moving 2 movie files acros my network and surfing the net.

6. Illz

Illz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You better do something about it before you fry your gpu :p

7. sgtarky

Reputations:
    man i think this thing is a goner. no one seems to be able to tell me how to underclock the gpu they just give me numbers and they dont match up with anything in rivatune
    ....does anyone think if i get a new card it will help, maybe this one got too hot for too long?

8. MilkIt79

Reputations:
    Seriously man, you can't do a Google search? The answer to your question can be found on this site. Please check this link for step by step instruction on how to create a profile for underclock/overclocking your GPU. F.Y.I I am using the latest nvidia drivers and underclocking. You can underclock just like you overclock, just clock down instead of up. I set the GPU Profile to go from 200/400/400(desktop setting @ start up) to the gaming settings of 550/1400/800.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/401345-optimization-guide-asus-g51.html

You will need to spend a little time making profiles but it will help. Its possible that you botched the thermal paste job and you should likely redo it, very carefully:) The case mod I did also made a huge improvement temperature wise. Let me know if this helps you

9. sgtarky

Reputations:
    when you say 200/400/400 do you mean core/shader/memory clock

10. MilkIt79

Reputations:

Yep you got it check out my picture. I had similar problems with temps when I first got my laptop. You can see the temperatures I am getting right now while running Photoshop and writing this. The ambient temperature of the room is 26c. You will need to make profiles polices for each game that starts and stops your profiles. I have an underclock and an overclock profile. I hope this helps:)

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.