Asus G501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Cormogram, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cormogram

Cormogram Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Please run the following commands in the PowerShell (run as Administrator) and post the results:

Code:
    # What's the RAM manufacturer/model?
    Get-WmiObject Win32_PhysicalMemory | Select-Object Manufacturer,PartNumber

# What's the HDD & SSD manufacturer/model?
    Get-WmiObject Win32_DiskDrive | Select-Object Model

# What's the display manufacturer/model?
    Get-WmiObject Win32_DesktopMonitor | Select-Object PNPDeviceID

# What's the TPM (Trusted Platform Module) manufacturer/version? *** needs admin privileges
    Get-WmiObject -Namespace "Root\CIMV2\Security\MicrosoftTpm" Win32_Tpm | Select-Object ManufacturerId,ManufacturerVersion,ManufacturerVersionInfo,SpecVersion

2. eugenes

eugenes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-WmiObject Win32_PhysicalMemory | Select-Object Manufacturer,PartNumber
    Manufacturer PartNumber
    ------------ ----------
    Samsung M471B1G73DB0-YK0
    Hynix/Hyundai

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-WmiObject Win32_DiskDrive | Select-Object Model
    Model
    -----
    SAMSUNG MZHPV512HDGL-00000

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-WmiObject Win32_DesktopMonitor | Select-Object PNPDeviceID
    PNPDeviceID
    -----------
    DISPLAY\SDC434B\4&2E74A31B&0&UID68092928

Nothing returned for the last command.

Cormogram likes this.
  3. Cormogram

Reputations:
    Thank you! Did you run Power Shell as administrator?

4. eugenes

Reputations:
    Yes.

5. Cormogram

Reputations:
    Guess some models doesn't have the TPM.
    What's the part number of the G501 you bought?

6. eugenes

Reputations:
    G501JW-DS71

Cormogram likes this.
  7. eugenes

Reputations:
    A few observations from the first few days of using the G501. Listed in no particular order.

1. Display has the same mustard yellow issue as UX501/UX303. Seems less mustard-ly than UX303, but I'm recalling that comparison from memory.
    2. Far too much plastic when compared to UX51. Display bezel is plastic and does not sit flat against the display panel.
    3. Display uses PWM to control refresh and is uncomfortable on my eyes, YMMV. I've also experienced two occurrences when the refresh rate goes crazy, causing flickering and making it impossible to look at the display without a headache. Rebooting the notebook did not resolve the issue and I've had no luck replicating the issue. Possibly a defect with GPU/panel?
    4. Lid flexes. My daughter have stepped on my UX51 before with no resulting damage, I expect the G501 to break if she ever tries the same thing.
    5. Better touchpad than UX51.
    6. Notebook material is a fingerprint magnet. I have to keep the microfiber cloth nearby.
    7. Better battery life than UX51. I have yet to try running down the battery to see how long it'll last.
    8. Lower maximum sound volume than UX51.
    9. Overall better performance, responsiveness than UX51.
    10. Free headset is a piece of junk. I gave it away to a colleague. I have yet to try out the free mouse.
    11. Had to uninstall Asus Gamers First application to get Mass Effect 3 working without stuttering.

Current conclusion: Use the G501 with an external monitor if you need to stare at the screen for a long time. I've made some adjustments to the display drivers and hopefully that will help with the flickering issue for short term use. Will update in a few more days.

8. Worzyl

Worzyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any results on the heat and fan noise on heavy load? Also, has any one purchased it with the 1080p screen?

9. eugenes

Reputations:
    I wouldn't want to play games with the G501 on my lap as the bottom gets hot enough to be uncomfortable. I can hear fan noise at all times, but it's low in pitch and not a bother to me. Under load, the fan does spin up, but the sound can be covered up by audio from games. Decoding 1080p video does not cause the fan to spin up. So far, fan speed seems to drop very fast after you exit a game to desktop, although sometimes it'll spin up while I'm browsing using chrome.

If you can find a 1080p version, I'd recommend it. The 4k version has a poor display panel that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

10. Worzyl

Worzyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. I have found one with a 1080p, but I would be using it for animation on Max/Maya. I am weighing my options between the Asus G501, Samsung ATIV Book 8 870Z5G and the Thinkpad W550s, though I am unsure whether the w550s can run Max/Maya.
    I travel alot and sometimes work in the library or cafe, so would need something quiet underload to not bother the people around me. Also, something around 5lbs in weight as I have a wacom to carry too!

I am not gamer and will be using this primarily for animation and 2d artwork. I will not be rendering or modelling.

*Also been looking at Asus N550Jk too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.