Asus G50 Notebook Disassembly Guide

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by David, Nov 7, 2008.

1. blksprk

blksprk Newbie

Reputations:
    is this pretty much identicle for a g50vt-x5?

2. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yes, it is :)

3. thebeephaha

thebeephaha Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    In the one part is shows the Turbo Memory which uh I don't have in my G50VT-A1, but do we know if the slot for it is still there? Because I'd like to install one of those AverMedia mini PCI-E TV tuners and actually use that stupid antenna port on the left side of my laptop.

4. Omne

Omne Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you try to mount a 9800m gs on a g50v? Did it worked without bios upgrade?

5. David

Reputations:
    No, I haven't tried it, but I'd assume it would work, given that you find the 9800M GS specifically made for the G50 series.

6. E.B.E.

E.B.E. NBR Procrastinator

Reputations:
    Even so I am not sure. I believe that on the G50 has the VBIOS integrated into the main BIOS. So you would need the BIOS from the newer G50 version; and if that new BIOS does not work due to other hardware differences, you're out of luck (and perhaps with a bricked laptop as well).

Another way would be to rip the VBIOS and start mashing together a custom BIOS, but I wouldn't even know how to start doing that. :)

7. Crwys

Crwys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    my G50V is different compared to this one and i am having problems dissembling it ><

8. RainMotorsports

RainMotorsports Formerly ClutchX2

Reputations:
    and thats all your going to say?

From my experience so far my G50VT has been the same as the guide. I havent done a full disassemble yet though the screen is coming apart soon enough.

9. David

Reputations:
    Would you mind elaborating on which part(s) is/are different? AFAIK, all G50 series (G50V, G50Vt) all share the same chassis.

10. Crwys

Crwys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just bought one so the layout is the same but it is a little bit harder to remove things because everything is more tightly together. I just need to find the battery so I can reset the BIOS. I have the same problem as this guy on this thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=327218
    I wasn't trying to give a bad impression, I am no professional at taking stuff apart. Do you think if I took it to a repair shop and just asked them to remove the battery for a couple minutes then put it all back together, would they do it?