Asus G50 - 260M Swap Procedure

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by forcedinductionz, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmartineze

dmartineze Newbie

Reputations:
    According to ebay is this one Asus G60V Laptop Heatsink & Cooling Fan 13N0-BBA0101 | eBay But something that I don't understand, it's mine look exactly the same. (which is the one that came with the laptop when I purchased)

I you check the Asus G50 NVIDIA 260M Swap Procedure, you should noticed that video card heatsink are not the same.

The funny thing is that several months ago, I purchased a heatsink replacement for my ASUS (from ASUS Store) because the fan was not working properly. When I got the part, the video card that they send me it was the one that appears "Asus G50 NVIDIA 260M Swap Procedure". I did not put to much attention and I decided to keep using the one that my my video card had installed -- there is no moving parts so why change it -- I just replaced the fan :)

2. eke2k6

eke2k6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know where the loss of fan control and hdmi comes from. It's a bios issue. I tried splicing different parts of the g60 bios to my g50, but ended up bricking it the 5th time and I had to buy another motherboard. If I could find the tools to properly look at the bios modules, I may be able to make all our lives easier

3. rrawson

rrawson Newbie

Reputations:
    eBay - Forcecon fan

This is supposed to be a significantly better fan that fits in the G50VT. It ships from China so it will be almost a month before it gets to you (if in the USA) so I haven't had a chance to confirm that it work but I'm really looking forward to it.

The fans from the G50 and G60 look the same, but the G60 pulls more air because of the fin design I believe.

4. dmartineze

dmartineze Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I not an expert on modding the BIOS, therefore I cannot tell what tools would be good or not.

But I would like to ask you something, Could you confirm how you find our that the problem with the HDMI and fan control is related to the BIOS?

Please let me know as soon as you have the change to test the fan, I would like to know if there any improvement. :)

5. rrawson

rrawson Newbie

Reputations:
    Got the fan in the mail today and swapped it out. Definitely an improvement, but I'm still hitting 100C during stress tests. The fan seems to have dropped temps about 5C overall. I'm trying copper blocks next to see how much they help.

6. balane

balane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So you can feel the Forecon fan blowing more air? It is definitely more powerful than the stock G50VT fan?

Is it louder? If so, how much louder?

It dropped right in? All three screw holes lined up perfectly?

Thanks for the info, I'm really interested in upgrading my fan.

7. eke2k6

eke2k6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I drilled holes in the fake vent/subwoofer under the laptop. Also, cleaning the heatsink fan of dust will dramatically drop your temps. I rarely hit over 90 nowadays. Also, I've repasted using MX-2

About the bios, you can tell using nvflash and device manager. Everytime you go to flash the bios, it gives you the reading of the 9700m gt that is onboard the regular G50V. It appears asus didn't build compatibility for the 260m into the G50v/vt bios. If there was a way to do it....

8. Deceiving

Deceiving Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I know it's a late answer BUT: I had the same issue after my 9800GS`s chip lost contact with the PCB (needs reballing which is expensive that's what I've been told at the service)

the MPN of my 9800GS : NSZVG1000-A03
    I found another card from a G50Vt-X1( same as mine) but had a different
    MPN : 69N0BBV10b01-01 and the symptoms were the EXACT same.(lighted up 1 second then shut down whereas with my card it would light up all the leds but show nothing on screen same as it did with NO card at all)

So in 22 pages I havent seen anyone tackle this problem:
    is ANY 260m compatible(of course reverse MXM from the laptops you already mentioned G51/60 which would physically allow it) with ANY G50V/Vt ? regardless of MPN or stuff like that? because to me it seemed that I could only use the same graphics card.

It would nice if the guys that managed the swap post their MPN of the 9800GS and that of the 260.

9. Duct Tape Dude

Duct Tape Dude Duct Tape Dude

Reputations:
    9800m GS: NSZVG1000-A03
    260m: 60-NV3VG1000-D01

10. mrzenith

mrzenith Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    this problem is because vga was damaged..I found another gtx 260m and now everything is ok ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.