Asus G1Sn Review, video and benchmark

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GenTechPC, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChevyNovaLN

ChevyNovaLN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Thanks GenTechPC,

Thats awesome news. It makes me want the G1Sn-B1 even more. Time to talk to the wife into letting me rush out in a buying frenzie :)

Appreciate it,

Brian / ChevyNovaLn

2. TVE

TVE Newbie

Reputations:
    Excellent and outstanding review ...

I've just received my ASUS G1Sn-AK023C (here in Denmark) ...

Now I have some problems overclocking the NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS - 512 MB in RivaTuner 2.08... ???

How can I get RivaTuner to control the fan-speed on my 9500M GS ??? ...

I can't get RivaTuner 2.08 to show the "FAN" tab in the "System tweaks" window (main > Driver settings > System settings) ...

I've tried to simply fill-in GenTechPC's clock-numbers (521/1238/472) - but wouldt like to hear if anyone knows about the fan-speed ????

I'll have a hard time telling my wife that I blow our new laptop because I've burned up the GPU :eek: ...

3. E.B.E.

E.B.E. NBR Procrastinator

Reputations:
    a) I'm not sure you can control fan speeds easily in new laptops. Fan control software has not been updated for the latest developments in hardware and software.

b) Does the G1Sn have a separate GPU fan? Many ASUS laptops don't, including G1 models.

c) Don't just 'fill in' overclocking numbers that worked for other people!!! Every GPU is different and what worked for them may burn yours. (well I'm exaggerating a little but it serves to deliver the point)

I suggest don't overclock at all if you don't have experience with this overclocking business. Or at the very least, read some good guides (I'm sure some are available on the Guides forum)

4. mcurran

mcurran Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    5354 3DMarks

G1Sn-B1 (7.15.11.7563) - 1024x768 (521-1238-472) - Vista x64 HP SP1

How can I monitor my temps? NVIDIA Monitor makes my notebook crash (Blue screen and says something about dumping memory). I can't find the temperature gauges in RivaTuner or nTune. Am I just slow, or does it not show for all systems?

5. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes it happen to me too, you can use RivaTuner and at Main tab of 128Bit GeForce DDR2 section click Customize and Hardware Monitoring it'll show you the temperature:

[​IMG]

6. max_yan

max_yan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie here and think this site is absolutely awesome when it comes to offering help to all laptop users with an inclination to tinker/modify :).

I was particularly looking at this thread with interest as i'm in the process of attempting to get XP onto the G1SN-B1 and was wondering if i could ask Ken (Gen Tech) for some advice. After numerous installs of XP PRO (Sp2 and Sp2c) the video driver consistently fails to detect. Device manager doesn't even have a listing for a "Standard VGA Adapter", its completely missing. All other XP Drivers seem to install fine, just the video card which doesnt detect in the first place.

Any possible advice into the problem would be superb! :)

7. E.B.E.

Reputations:
    Did you try laptopvideo2go drivers with the modified INF? The standard nVidia drivers won't work, they will not detect the mobile GPU.

8. max_yan

max_yan Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks so much for your prompt reply E.B.E.:)

Yeh, unfortunatley that was one of the first things i tried. I've downloaded 174.74 with the modded inf from laptopvideo2go which sadly still gave me the message of doom when i ran the setup exy, "The NVIDIA Setup program could locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will no exit."

I believe its due to the fact that XP doesnt appear to pickup the video card in the first place, for some really bizarre reason there's simply no listing for a video card in device manager. Its as though one doesn't exist.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated :)

P.S. For those looking to purchase the G1SN, my personal opionion is that it is worth purchasing if you are drawn to the flashing fluro/techno-futurist type aesthetic of a laptop, which the G1SN conveys quite well. Structurally the laptop is very sound as is the case with all ASUS products. However, if a minimalist yet classy design is preferred and specs is what your mainly after the M50SV would definitely be the more desirable option.

9. E.B.E.

Reputations:
    That's weird. Are you sure the card is not listed elsewhere (not under Display Adapters); if the drivers are not installed sometimes the category where hardware is filed is not so intuitive. Do you have any device with a yellow question mark in Device Manager? If so could you list it here?

I think the modded inf needs to be for your particular type of GPU; are you sure you downloaded the correct INF and following the instructions on LaptopVideo2Go? (I've never done this so I can't give more detailed instructions)

Also, did you ever have Vista installed? Did it have problems with the GPU?

10. max_yan

max_yan Newbie

Reputations:
    Again, thanks for the response E.B.E. :)

Yeh, unfortunatley nothing comes up. I've attached a screenshot of device manager, which lists all devices aside from the VGA adapter. The unknown device is an ACPI device, so this rules out the possibility of it being the VGA adapter.

The 174.74 driver i downloaded has the 9500GS listed, so i can only assume it's the right one unless someone got trigger happy with the keyboard when writing out the descriptions at laptopvideo2go:D

I also tried to force the drive in through add new hardware, but as expected windows doesnt like the inf.

I did a re-install with vista just to be sure the video card was still functioning and sure enough it was working perfectly in vista. So i know its definitely some form of a software conflict:confused:

I noticed xoticPC were selling the G1SN with XP PRO, so i assume they must have gotten it working at some stage.

I'm guessing a new driver could be the saviour? What do you reckon?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.