1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus G1S-X1 (Bestbuy) vs G1S-A1 (Newegg)?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by osso002, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osso002

osso002 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    They should be the same, but the BB version only has 1 year warranty from ASUS instead of 2, and the BB version does NOT include the bonus accessories, mainly the Targus Backpack and the Logitech Mouse.

3. kiwikat

kiwikat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The BB one is cheaper b/c it is running a slower processor. Sorry for the short answer-I am typing this on my PSP

4. osso002

Reputations:
    Slower as in T7300 or T7100?

edit: NVm its the 2.0 T7300...

5. kiwikat

kiwikat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea the BB one is .2 Ghz slower. Personally I would get the newegg over the BB one. Only 50 bucks.

6. Gautam

Gautam election 2008

Reputations:
    X1 and A1 differ in screen resolution as well.

7. osso002

Reputations:
    Well, the reason I'm looking at the BB version is that I can get them to open the box so I can look for dead pixels first and make sure there are no damages. Plus there is the no shipping hassle (2 stores have it near me), so I can get my hands on them instantly.

The .2 GHz won't make that much of a difference, will they?

8. coriolis

Reputations:
    ASUS has a 30 day pixel guarantee, so that isn't much of a factor in my opinion.

The BB version doesn't mention HDMI, eSATA or DVI but I assume its included.

9. mikeymike

mikeymike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    and i betcha....ill betcha the 1 yr warranty will be exclusively repaired at BB's facilities only!

10. coriolis

Reputations:
    Heh, but it'll be a 1 year warranty from ASUS, 1 year so BB can sell you a PSP/PRP for some $$$ :D

11. osso002

Reputations:
    Now that you mention it, is there a way to extend your warranty from asus?

12. coriolis

Reputations:
    I don't think the BB version is valid for ASUS's extension warranty. Their warranty maxes out at 3 years, and their optional upgrade is only a +1 year adding from the usual 2 years on the regular notebooks. However, it'd be best to contact ASUS and ask, however, I recall you can only buy the extension once you buy the notebook - at the same store(so its on record on receipt) since the extension is all at the same price.

13. Redline

Redline Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not on the G1s (you're thinking about the F3Sv); both are WSXGA+ (1680x1050).

And the BB one isn't a whole lot cheaper, if at all, after you include tax and the like. For me (in Washington) it comes out to exactly $8.49 cheaper than newegg, and newegg doesn't have the cheapest price. Gentech has it at $1805, making the BB one $85 more expensive with less stuff included and a slower processor, plus less warranty. Ouch.

14. mikeymike

mikeymike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    oh of course BB will try push more extended service plans on you, thats where they really make their money from.

but u dont quite understand where im going.

The 1 year warranty wont be serviced by asus. Asustek will only foot the bill and will remburse BB-service for any repairs but the repair work will be done by BB's own facilities.

15. sluzi26

sluzi26 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The benefit of buying it from best buy let me inspect the unit before I took it home and most importantly let me take one home immediately.

16. ZT3000!

ZT3000! Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes yes. :) That price from gentech has me eyeing the G1s now. I had been thinking about the HP 8510p, but it's still not out yet. The new Dell Inspirons are having some issues, and I'm assuming they'll carry over to the Vostro as well. And there seems to be a big wait for the compal/sager 2090 twins (wsxga) and even though it's a good value, it is lacking some features.

I didn't like the look of the G1 at first, but it's growing on me. If I do get it, I'll be buying online. $1805 is the best price i've seen yet.

17. sluzi26

sluzi26 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ZT in all honesty I thought the G1S was incredibly gaudy and just overdone until I actually got it in my hands. Its a seriously attractive machine IRL and just screams quality.

18. intelme7

intelme7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wanted to buy the Asus G1S notebook . As far as i know the OS is placed in a seperate partition in the Hard disk and not with a seperate OS disc .
    Is this true? .

I wanted to upgrade the hard disk by placing Seagate Momentus 7200.2 160GB hard disk instead of the existing 5400rpm hard disk . If i upgrade then the Original OS would be of no use if it is in a separate partition in the hard disk .

People who bought this laptop pls help

19. Redline

Redline Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Haha, I'm exactly the opposite. I didn't mind the G1 look too much until I actually got my hands on one (a display model at BB) and its hideous. Very high quality, most definitely, with solid construction and such, but fugly is still fugly. The bezel at the top of the lid is about 4 times as thick as it should be, the weird logo thing in the middle of the mouse buttons is extremely distracting, and overall the styling is just not to my taste. The green 'WASD' keys are weird (but cool in their own way), and I like the green lights, but still. I guess I could get used to it, but I definitely much prefer the clean styling of the nearly identically priced and specced V1s.

20. metril

metril Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I went to BB to look at a G1S. Within 5 minutes, I had 3 sales people trying to push the laptop on me with their protection plans. One of them even said that Windows ME is the latest OS from Microsoft. I tried not to crack up, but just couldn't help it. So, I asked one of them to hold the laptop for me because I didn't want to carry expensive equipment around the store. 2 minutes later, my dad and I were driving home and I ordered the G1S online for a much better performace to $ ratio.