Asus FX502 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Templesa, Nov 25, 2016.

1. ChowMeow

ChowMeow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Templesa and hmscott like this.
  2. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sweet! A Kaby Lake version would be awesome. For the absolute steal I paid I'm not sure I'd upgrade (though I do have the option to return until the 1st of February thanks to Holiday sales policy on Amazon ;) so I guess we'll have to see what the price comes in at! Remember though, other markets got this laptop at a more expensive price point with a i7 as well- so we'll have to see what the US version brings. A Kaby i5 with some higher burst speeds ~3.5Ghz sounds really good for this machine.

3. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I added an SSD to the machine and it's quite a bit quicker. That was to be expected, but it's still nice to have, and pretty cheap / easy to do. 10 screws on the underside, carefully lift the panel off, take the included screw out of the box, put in the SSD, close it all back up, clone Windows to the SSD if you want - or just play games right off it - and you're all set!

Also of note, the motherboard has the USB C 3.1 connector cut out on it, but there's obviously no adapter connected or the hole in the side of the chassis. Someone who is a much more extreme tinkerer than myself might be able to do something with it.

I'm wondering if Asus is trying to combine these lines together - maybe they'll drop GL or FX altogether in the Kaby lake version for International now that there's a few other sku's?? Or the FX line will fall to the 1060 and below market and the GL 1070 and above?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    ChowMeow likes this.
  4. ChowMeow

ChowMeow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good job on the ssd-it should have come with one, but it is a budget device. With the 1060 3gb Asus uses, I hope it stays around the 1000-1100 price mark. Anything more and the drawbacks of the system start to outweigh the benefits of moving to the gl lineup.
    As for the lineup, I would think the models would stay the same or similar.

5. G-Force

G-Force Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I have three choices now:

ASUS GL502VM - € 1599
    i7 7700HQ, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD, GTX 1060 6GB, FHD IPS G-Sync

or

ASUS FX502VM - € 1549
    i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 1060 3GB, FHD IPS

or

ASUS FX502VM - € 1399
    i5 7300HQ, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD, GTX 1060 3GB, FHD IPS

Disadvantages of the FX502:
    - No Thunderbolt (but I understand that the TB of the GL502 is crippled at 20Gb/s so no use for external GPUs?)
    - No G-Sync (I tried it and it only made playing CS:GO worse so I don't think I will miss it)
    - No metal lid (?)

I am leaning towards the FX502 series because the Kaby Lake models finally have IPS displays, it's the same chassis as far as I can tell and the extreme design is toned down a lot (no orange accents and WASD keys and no ROG logo's, yay!) and because I don't think my games will benefit a lot from the faster 6GB 1060 (was already extremely happy with 1050 Ti).

Is the i7 model worth the extra cash? I like that it has a big SSD to store all my games on and more RAM than the GL502VM. Does the i7 help with framerates?

Are there any other reasons to go for GL502VM instead of the FX502VM?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  6. Kallogan

Kallogan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think it's even closer than that for laptops since the laptop version of the 1060 3GB has the full 1280 shaders, unlike the desktop one that has only 1152 shaders.

So yeah it's a full 1060, no reason to perform slower than the 6 GB except if you game on ultra textures.

I have this laptop with the i5 6300HQ and this is sometimes a bottleneck in some recent bad optimized games. But not that much, the cpu always runs at 2.8 ghz on 4 cores, which is pretty nice considering the awful 2.3 ghz base clock. Only deus ex mankind divided pissed me off, it's very heavy on cpu. I would advise the new i5 7300HQ model which should run above 3 ghz. Of course, if u got the money get the i7 6700HQ or 7700HQ.

The soldered ddr4 memory module is only 2133 cas 15.

Overall i'm reaally happy with this laptop, got it at 880 euros only.

This laptop is so quiet when browsing etc, it's a delight. U need to do a heavy cpu task to make the fans start.

I find the TN screen very nice, it's no ips sure, but i come from an horrible 720p display so...

Sound is very good.

HDD is a 7200 rpm. Strangely i don't really feel the need for a ssd right now.

i have no use of thunderbolt or usb-c or g-sync so i don't miss it. Maybe i'll swap for a better screen if i feel the need in the future...but i doubt it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    hmscott likes this.