Asus FX502 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Templesa, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    76 degrees max CPU, 77 max GPU on Firestrike (normal setting)
    5886 CPU points, 11460 GPU.
    [​IMG]
    These screenshots were taken with Asus bloatware still installed and score was on stock Asus driver. I'll swap out the driver for the Nvidia one and test again later with a cooling pad under the unit.
    See the above image where Asus calls the laptop a "GL502VML" heh. Also note that there is no optimus - there isn't even a driver in here for HD 530.
    Theoretically (!) you should be able to swap in a G-Sync panel and it would work.

ChowMeow and hmscott like this.
  2. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The FX is only 999 at Amazon right now. A harder choice for sure, but with a lot of the black friday deals drying up, not a horrible price.
    Adding an m.2 was extremely easy, and the system is much quicker now. The temps have not risen past 77 in the days I've had it and I've done quite a bit of gaming on it so far. I can honestly say that the i5 is not the bottleneck I thought it would be compared to my P640RE. The i5 does get maxed out, but usually the Video card isn't far behind or is maxed out at the same time so it wouldn't really matter.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To anyone else who may have ordered this:
    I don't know if this is because I brought it to Amazon's attention that the laptop did not in fact have the USB C port, but was advertised with one, and they refunded me an additional 53$, bringing my total to 846 for this machine.
    Please notify them that this machine did not have the port, and maybe you too can save some extra cash!

ChowMeow likes this.
  4. ChowMeow

ChowMeow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm tempted as heck to buy this within a week. I see them going for 1050 on ebay at the moment. I'm experiencing a bit of dilemma however.
    Option 1-I buy the fx502vm with an i5 and a gtx 1060 3gb with an hdd.
    Option 2-I wait and purchase a more well rounded laptop with a 1050 ti, i7 quad core, and perhaps a ssd.
    Either way, it's an upgrade from my Y50.
    Templesa, how is the build quality on the machine? The temps look manageable, especially if undervolting can be achieved.

Templesa likes this.
  5. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey @ChowMeow
    I think its' quite good. Comparable to the GL502 it's based on for sure.
    Very little flex in the body. Screen can wobble a little, but is still good.

Right now, check out the MSI GP62MVR linked below- It's 1049 as well but it's got 100 dollar rebate which is pretty cool, and has the i7 you want. But to be completely honest with you, I haven't seen a scenario where the CPU has been completely out-paced by the GPU. I think you'd find that the GTX 1050 Ti wouldn't be enough reason to step down. I'm sure that the i5 maxes single core applications that need higher clock speeds, in which case, you'd be better off with that MSI there, but there's never enough GPU power and far less games need excess CPU power.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154373

Edit: As for the internals, it's perfectly fine without an undervolt from what I can tell. I haven't at any point in time gotten any throttling, nor have I had temps over 80 at any point either.

ChowMeow likes this.
  6. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, they already took that deal down. Oh well. Keep watching the prices- they'll drop eventually.
    Let me know if there's anything else you want tested!

Edit:
    Use this link instead, was able to find the apparently same laptop on Newegg with that deal still up.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154446

ChowMeow likes this.
  7. ChowMeow

Reputations:
    Haha, can't really use newegg. That tax really kills the otherwise solid deal. Either way, I'll be chilling with a decent machine. Hopefully I can answer some questions in the future if I also pick up the fx502vm. Might even do a review in English, there's not a lot of info on this laptop online sans this thread.

8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    newegg charges tax?

9. ChowMeow

Reputations:
    Yeah, if you live in CA. I used to live right near them, got a lot of stuff in a day or two. A big purchase on a laptop would kill me.

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    Maybe you can find someone outside of CA willing to hold this laptop for a few days to prevent this tax cancer from spreading.