Asus FX502 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Templesa, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I watched the videos, the tear down looks super easy, which will be good for repaste purposes.
    It didn't look like it ever throttled, so we'll see how it compares to the P640RE, which is my benchmark to beat (if I'm to keep it, that is!) and isn't exactly the coolest running machine on the market either.
    Has the GL502 benefited from a repaste?

hmscott likes this.
  2. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:

not anymore. that deal is long gone.

$900 for this machine is like paying msrp, considering the build quality and lack of features and cost cutting.

The gl502vm is selling for 1229, no sales tax for most. That's the current "msrp" market value. Considering the fx502 only has an i5, gimped 1060, and nothing else, AND you pay $60-80 sales tax.... yeah, $900 is "msrp".

in california, $1229 vs $983 = ~250 difference, which covers the core i7, ips screen, 6gb 1060gtx, and thunderbolt 3 upgrades

Lukewarm deal. Fine for people who don't need all the bells and whistles, but you're still paying market value, and not getting a steal of a deal.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    MSRP for the FX502 $899 deal was $1249, IDK why you are wanting to bad mouth this machine, but please stop, it's not nice.

There are people out there that for them it's a reach to afford it, and they don't need to be told it's not good.

Plenty of people bad mouth the GL502VM and you don't like hearing that do you?

Each laptop configuration is built to satisfy a need and a price point.

Saying nasty things about someone else's dream configuration - something they can afford - really isn't nice.

Lighten up, let people enjoy what they can afford, and hopefully the sales will come back around - keep looking for them :)

4. psybuster

psybuster Newbie

Reputations:
    Confirmed that this in fact has a TN panel, despite the same language used in the GL502VM description page, minus G-Sync. Color me disappointed, it's going back as a return as I promised myself. Also wouldn't power on upon receipt until power brick was plugged in (it's 180W if anyone cares), as if battery was not charged at all prior to shipment from factory.

Back to the drawing board, if I decide to get anything else at all...there's that Cyberpower Tracer with 965M for about $800 after tax with some freebies and it might be enough for what I plan on using it for. Living in CA, I get taxed just about everywhere that isn't a Clevo reseller not named HIDEvolution.

From Amazon:

[
    quote][/quote]
    From Asus web site:

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    "Wide-view" is the clue, that's what they say about the "new" TN panels.

I am not a TN panel hater myself, I've had lots of great displays that were TN, and lots of good IPS as well.

I started out on TN's and older displays, so I am used to tapping the laptop to face the display directly in front of me - it's an automatic thing I don't even realize I am doing - so the TN's are always facing correctly for my view.

It's a small thing, but it's made it easy for me to live with TN display's.

Getting a Quad Core CPU and a 1060 for $899, I could easily live with a TN panel.

Give it a chance, it'll grow on you. Invest in a nice $100 IPS 24" display for home :)

And the 1060 3GB performs close to a 1060 6GB, 5%-7% average difference:

Untitled.jpg

3GB vs. 6GB GTX 1060 - Benchmark Comparison

A 965m won't even get close to the performance of the 1060 3GB :)

6. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:

I don't care if people badmouth the laptop I want to get, or have. I know exactly the cons of each notebook I get, and I'm willing to accept them.

That $1249 msrp was pulled out of Asus' azz, and such random number should never be used to judge whether something is a good deal.

I'm not being nasty, just trying to inform.

In fact, you would have to be a dumbass to pay $900 for a core i5 1060 3gb....... when this weekend, you can get a Core i7 6700hq, IPS 17.3", gtx 1060 6gb, 240gb ssd, for just $1000., with no sales tax for most states except stupid california. Yeah it's ugly and heavy, but my point is that you have to look at the value of the hardware in comparison

Here......

[​IMG]

Pascal notebook prices are dropping like rocks, and the coming new year, the market will be flooded with gtx1050Ti notebooks that will fill in the price gaps.

Don't do it. Those "freebies" are just junk to pad the price.

At this point, the 965m machines should be worth a lot less. I got my G501vw core i7 960m thunderbolt 3 for $800 out the door, and build quality is tons better than any cyberpower notebook.
    This was 8 months ago.
    If you're still paying $800 for a maxwell machine that is only marginally better than a 960m, with a sh** build quality, you're getting ripped off.

7. psybuster

psybuster Newbie

Reputations:
    Interesting option, also a good reminder to check Cyberpower in full for any other promos. Any idea who the ODM is for this model? Fangbook is MSI, Xplorer is Clevo, but no idea who developed the chassi for the Vector and the aforementioned Tracer models.

8. ekokinex

ekokinex Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I purchased a custom MSI GT72VR-6D from HIDEvolution. This laptop is going to replace my laptop and desktop so I wanted to invest my money well. I went with HIDEvolution after comparing their offerings with XoticPC and LPC-Digital. The Black Friday deal they have going on for MSI was too good to pass up.

I've been considering Alienware and Sager as well. I actually had a 13R3 ordered the day orders opened. Cancelled that and had a 15R3 and even an 17R4 on order but cancelled them as well. The heatsink issues left too much uncertainty and I don't feel like needing to repaste.

Sager was favorable but I like the build quality and styling of the MSI after watching several reviews on the GT72VR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  9. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, I guess I'm a 'dumbass' then. I will tell you this though, I would not want to walk into any of the boardroom or conference rooms at my job with that monstrosity. It's fine that the hardware is what matters to you, but it's not the only thing that anyone buys a laptop for. I need a slimmer, work acceptable machine. I'd prefer not to own 2 laptops, and want one that can still game when I'm not near my desktop. The ROG logo I might be able to get away with, but would still raise some eyebrows I think. That's why I have a P640RE, there's no logo. The Asus logo on this machine will be fine though, as this just looks like a regular laptop.

As for the 6GB vs 3GB thing, I think - and I could be wrong - that the shaders are the same count in mobile. Even if they aren't, I hardly run into the issue on a 3GB 970m, so I'm doubting very much would change with a 1060.
    Who knows? I may still send it back if I can get a better deal somewhere else or if the throttle is too much. Let's wait and see. The only one that was delivered didn't even give us a decent idea of what this machine can do.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great news, it was just delivered. Nvidia control panel confirms that the 3GB mobile version does in fact have the full 1280 shaders unlike the desktop version. More coming shortly.

hmscott likes this.