Asus FX502 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Templesa, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So far as I can tell, this model is just a cheap version of the GL502 with a different case.
    But wow, it's CHEAP. I didn't expect to see anything pascal this cheap...
    https://www.amazon.com/FX502VM-Gami...?ie=UTF8&qid=1480090841&sr=8-1&keywords=FX502
    Snag one at Amazon for 899.
    i5-6300HQ, GTX 1060, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Win 10.
    I'm expecting overheating like crazy, but I can't complain for the price. The thickness is nice, too. If it is better than I anticipate, I may sell my P640RE and keep this. If it's an overheating / throttling problem, back to Amazon.

Anyone else pick one of these up?

hmscott likes this.
  2. vipz

vipz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Saw the deal elsewhere and came here to look for more info. I'm tempted, but I have some reservations in regards to the build quality of the unit. Lack of ROG branding is a plus in my book.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Exactly, we shouldn't bring our high-end colored glasses out to pick a low-end bargain entry 1060 laptop :)

That $899 price is amazing for a 1060 laptop!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXO0PO2/

This one says it has a 6700HQ, could be a different config for another region, but it's got views of the internal build, I thought would be of interest...

4. vipz

vipz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it possible to swap the display with a 120Hz G-sync unit?

Also, the specs mention a USB type-C port. One of the pics also shows a type-C cable but I can't seem to locate an actual type-C port on any of the pics. On the GL502 the type-C port is located on the left side in front of the type-A port.

5. ekokinex

ekokinex Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Placed my order. Finally replacing my 2011 Lenovo Y570.

Edit: I cancelled my order. After reading about heat concerns with the similarly designed ASUS GL502 VM, I decided to spend extra for something that brings me more peace of mind.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  6. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    yes, this looks like a cheaper version of the 502vm. In fact, the support page shows that it uses the same bios as the gl502VML, without thunderbolt

in 4 months, plastic i7 1060 machines will be about this price.

a core i7 1060 6gb sager clone was recently on sale for $1099.

Rushing to get a core i5, which handicaps some games by as much as 25% compared to i7, is not a good decision.

Also cheap TN screen on this one with 45% ntsc. awful cost cutting.

I wouldn't be comfortable making so many compromises and sacrifices so early.

That video does not show it having usb-c. This is pretty barebones for $900.
    Way too many cut corners when you evaluate it compared to a decked out $1100 core i7 1060 6gb IPS screen machine.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Link to an actual system on sale for $900-$1100 with a 1060 so buyers have alternatives right now?

I don't think they want to wait 4 months for "plastic i7 1060 machines will be about this price" :)

Chronokiller likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Please let us know what you find and order instead :)

Chronokiller likes this.
  9. psybuster

psybuster Newbie

Reputations:
    So I also ordered this yesterday morning and apparently it was already at my doorstop once I woke up late today.

Bought as semi-impulse; had originally been looking into a 1070 based machine but when I saw this one sale I started wondering why I'd want to spend ~$1500+ on a gaming laptop when I already have a desktop as my primary platform. In hindsight I think I should've gotten the $1100 P650RP6 link626 referenced when it was available 2-3 weeks ago, especially since the difference for me would've been ~$125 due to being taxed on this FX502VM but no the P650RP6; I knew about it at the time but was mentally setting it aside for a 1070 system instead.

I'll post my impressions of the machine once I get a chance to set it up and play with it for a bit, hopefully by tomorrow afternoon, although I can say two things right now: 1) it's not going to be worth it at its $1250 MSRP asking price and still highly questionable at its current $1050 Amazon price, and 2) if this is in fact equipped with a TN panel it's going right back.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did see Eluktronics' Newegg sale P650RS for 999 a barebones No OS, HDD/SSD, RAM, etc. that included a i7-6700HQ / 1060 vs this one. I considered it, but since I didn't have a windows license, and only 8GB of RAM on hand, the Asus' 16GB w/ Win 10 for 100 dollars less and a slimmer and better aesthetics (albeit hotter) chassis seemed like an OK deal.

My desktop is nicely configured with a 1070 and a curved 35" G-sync panel so really, this is for on the go. Will I miss the frame rates a few times a year when I'm at PAX or cons or over a friends / LAN party'ish setting? Nope. 90% of the time I'm going to be playing games on my desktop anyway. Web surfing, movie watching, playing simple games in bed, working, office documets, etc. will never see any difference. I can see the concern if this was your only machine, but even then it's very low for 900 dollars. For the original 1250 asking price yes, there is better for cheaper. But for 900? It's not a bad deal.

Anyway, mine should be delivered tomorrow- so we'll see! :)

hmscott likes this.