Asus Flip C302 owners?

Discussion in 'Chrome OS and Software' started by Mitlov, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok so I finally got to check out the C302 today.
    It's very nice, in fact if this model had been around when I bought my Dell 13, I would of probably got the Asus. The body is quality aluminum with nice rounded corners and a beveled out area to lift up the screen from closed. The whole thing has a very "macbook" feel. The backlit keyboard is very good and the keys normal sized. Key travel felt really good and sort of soft. It felt good to type on. imo they could of added maybe 0.5mm more key travel to make it absolutely perfect. The trackpad was good. It's not glass, but felt more like satin finish. Both lower corners of the track pad click, but they are both left clicks. To right click you have to do a 2-finger tap, which is normal. The physical size would make this great for a student or travel. Dual USB type-c, one on each side is nice so you can get the power cord out of the way. You don't get any normal USB-a slots though, so to use a flash drive you would need an adapter. There is a power and volume up/down buttons on the left side, so you can operate it in tablet mode. The top right key which is usually a power button on a chromebook, is a keylock toggle on the C302. I'm not sure the exact use of this since when you go into tablet mode the main keyboard becomes inactive. When folding into tablet mode the base and screen seem to snap together. It feels like it probably uses magnets. Everything ran smooth, no lag, but I expected this since it had the m5 CPU. The screen seemed reasonably bright, but I didn't get to use it outside. I only tried one android app, a news app from the local tv station. It opened up "phone sized" on the screen. Maximizing it only made it slightly bigger with full screen 3" black bars on each side. While using it, it eventually crashed. I'll try some more apps on it next time, but just like all chromebooks with android - it's a work in progress and a lot of times your going to feel like a test user.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Thanks for the initial impressions! Sounds like really good hardware for people who are going to use it for 95% Chrome, 5% Android apps.

I was looking for something like a 50/50 split, and it sounds like ChromeOS just isn't that refined yet with Android apps and the related features. I think it shows promise for the future, but I don't want to be a beta tester right now.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I’m going to look at the pixel book today. Might be coming out with one

Used the pixelbook for about 15 min today, Don't like Chrome OS like I thought I would. I will spend the extra and get a new xps 13 2 in 1, or surface book 2 13. I do like the dell....I have used that one for about 1 hr one day, using it in all formats and it screamed along nicely.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    The Dell XPS machines are really, really nice hardware in person. Same with HP Spectres.

kojack likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yep. They are awesome. I have used a bunch of them of various types since the beginning of the xps series. I have many of them, starting with the first dell xps tower they released! I have used most everyone since then, besides just a couple of them, and EVERYONE performed and held up great.

This one started it all!!!

[​IMG]

6. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    The only real major design flaw is the very poor cooling that results in pretty damn poor performance.

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    NO poor performance from the xps 15...you are mistaken....you have never even owned one. how can you make an informed decision....I am using your logic you fired at me talking about SSHD...so please.

8. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    I am using public sources and citing documented issues from reputable sources. Enjoy reading the article detailing the overheating on the XPS: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/14875-fix-throttling-xps-15/

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think Don has his settings to search XPS automatically so he can start his personal vendetta against them every day. Everytime someone in Notebook review, among other forms types XPS....his computer automatically sends notifications!

10. don_svetlio

Reputations: