Asus F8VA Montevina Mobile Platform review

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GenTechPC, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glock24

Glock24 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This is controlled by the Windows Powersaving or Power4Gear profile. In theory, with AC power, the GPU in clocked down when in 2D mode, and runs at full speed when in 3D mode. With battery power, the GPU is always downclocked.

Also, in CCC there's an option called "Powerplay", if you disable that, your GPU should run a full speed all the time.

2. reignofdragons

reignofdragons Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the informative reply Glock24

So I found out that my clock speeds were switching properly, but just at lower speeds:

Plugged In: 297.0 (Core) / 198.0 (Memory)
    Battery: 148.0 (Core) / 198.0 (Memory)

I've been monitoring it with GPU-Z (v0.3.1)
    On the information page it says that both "GPU Clock" and "Default Clock" are at 600/400...but that isn't the case?

3. E.B.E.

E.B.E. NBR Procrastinator

Reputations:
    Some monitoring programs have issues reading clocks from recent GPU models (although I think GPU-Z is among the more reliable ones). Make sure that is not the case here; run a 3DMark and see if you get a typical score (which would indicate clocks are actually higher) or lower. (Apologies if you already tried that)

4. reignofdragons

reignofdragons Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Should have mentioned it, but yes, I have run 3dMark06 and the score seems consistent with what I saw in Vista. I saved the report from 3DMark, but it couldn't detect my Memory Clocks and Core Clocks. I guess if the scores are similar, then it must be working alright.

Thanks E.B.E. and Glock24 for the useful information.

Now I have to figure out why Windows 7 is reporting that 2+GB ram is being used. It use to only report ~1.3GBish. This is during idle times with barely anything running.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've checked the processes and resource monitor and nothing seems odd.

5. E.B.E.

Reputations:
    It's SuperFetch: Windows caches programs likely to be used in the future in the memory. It comes at little performance penalty and the memory is released immediately if needed by running applications. (at least that's the theory, but I think in this case it's borne out in practice to a good extent)

6. svcr0c0

svcr0c0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I'm new here so please bear with me. I have an F8VA-B1, and after a few hiccups I managed to downgrade it to XP. I do have a few issues with it though...

In the XP downgrade guide there is an IR driver listed that is supposed to work, however the link is broken. I've tried a few other drivers that should have been compatible with the hardware ID listed in the Control Panel, but none worked. Each one ended up giving different errors on load. Does anyone have an actual working IR driver for the F8VA-B1?

My second problem relates to the video card drivers. I've tried modding several versions of ATI's Catalyst drivers (8.12, 8.11, 8.10 and finally 8.6) using Mobility Modder. Each time the process completed successfully, and the drivers installed fine. However WolfET could not load the OpenGL subsystem with any of them EXCEPT Catalyst 8.6.

Also, each of these Catalyst drivers (including 8.6) give an event log error. "Application popup: : \SystemRoot\System32\ativvaxx.dll failed to load" EventID:26.

Any ideas as to what may be going on? Thanks for your time...

7. E.B.E.

Reputations:
    W.r.t. XP downgrade, I think Ken (GenTechPC) wrote the downgrade guide. So, you could either wait until he reads this, or else try to PM him and ask him about the IR driver.

As to the modded drivers, isn't there another way to get modded ATI drivers besides mobility modder?

8. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did you download and install .Net Framework 2.0? it's required for XP:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

I found another driver for IR port, try it and see if it works:

http://dl.okglb.com/consumerdl.leno...Downloads and Drivers/Y530/XP/IN1CIR12WW1.exe

9. svcr0c0

svcr0c0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you very much, the IR driver works like a charm. I'm just curious what Lenovo laptop contains this same chipset? It would make finding driver updates much easier in the future.

Yes, I installed the .Net Framework. All drivers work just fine with Fallout3, and Oblivion, just not WolfET. And except the event viewer error message I am not getting any negative effects. I think I'll just live with it, I'm glad to be able to run XP instead of Vista...

10. Glock24

Glock24 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just updated the BIOS to version 209, they removed the options that could brick the computer (something related to TPM), and they added something called "ASUS FancyStart". Any ideas what that is?

On a side note, seems like the driver above also works for XP x64.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.