Asus F8VA Montevina Mobile Platform review

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by GenTechPC, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anon10500

anon10500 Newbie

Reputations:
    when i play games, it goes like this:

video card & cpu: 60C
    hdd: 55C

And does anybody know about where hdmi port connected on F8Va ?

2. bartystewart

bartystewart Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The temps look pretty good, does the laptop get very warm to the touch? I am more worried about it being physically hot than the component temps.

3. anon10500

anon10500 Newbie

Reputations:
    no .

4. Ben-

Ben- Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am a new owner of this laptop. I have a question though; I occasionally hear a dull ding coming from my laptop, does anyone know what it is? There is no real pattern when it occurs but it does get annoying after a while.

5. reignofdragons

reignofdragons Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anybody tell me if they have opengl problems in Windows XP?

For example, Counter-Strike 1.6 opengl settings worked in Vista, but it's not working for me in Windows XP. I'm using the latest drivers and have tried to use a lower version.

6. Vashist1011

Vashist1011 Newbie

Reputations:
    can anyone please tell me if this asus f8:
    F8VR - C2D P8400, (2.26GHz), 2GB, 320GB, VB, 14" TFT(WXGA, Colour-Shine), SMDL, Intel® WiFi Link 5100 (AGN), 802.11b/g, Bluetooth, 2 Year Warranty
    www laptopsdirect co uk/F8VR-4P014C_F8VR-4P014C/

has good battery life? over 2.5hours? and is it good enough for games like need for speed? call of duty?
    for using softwares like advanced design system?
    i ordered the laptop from laptops direct...now i read reviews of the website...and its bad..wat shud i do?
    go for it? or cancel the order?
    im quite attracted to the asus coz its nowhere to be found elsewhere for that price and it has quite good specs.
    i saw a dell studio 15..with near same specs and price...but its 15inch and this asus is 14inches..
    which 1 is better??:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

7. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Since you're located in London, I would recommend going with the Studio 15. If your Asus should need any servicing, it would be devastating to send it to Asus for repairs.

8. CaseyP

CaseyP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Are there any tricks to running 3DMark06?

After optimizing Vista a bit (following some of the advice in the Les Tokar guide...great guide :) )

BUT NOW I can play games fine, I play 3 online games and a few new offline games, as well as most older games, all on high settings, no problem.

I load up 3Dmark06, it says it will take a minute to analyze the system, and then that screen sits there forever. I let it sit for an hour one time, and a few times up to 20, or 10 minutes.

when I click on the little box in the middle of the screen, (the one that says it's analyzing) it just turns white and blank, and then it won't go away. I have to kill it with task manager

9. E.B.E.

E.B.E. NBR Procrastinator

Reputations:
    Maybe some tricks in Les' guide disabled certain services or components that 3DMark needs in order to run... I do know that Les' tips are sailing "pretty close to the wind", as they say...

10. CaseyP

CaseyP Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Perhaps, but that makes it hard to measure the performance gains versus the out of the box Vista.

also, I didn't do everything in the guide, some of the stuff was a bit too extreme, when my system is really running fast enough. I mostly went with your (E.B.E.) guide to his guide.

Casey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.