~ Asus F8 Owners' Lounge ~

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Swiper, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D3X

D3X the robo know it all

Reputations:
  2. fabarati

fabarati Frorum Obfuscator

Reputations:
    I'm running it on my F8Sa. It works fine. Only thing that needs drivers/applications is the fingerprint reader. And maybe the camera.

3. Glock24

Glock24 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The computer already arrived like 2 weeks ago, so I got the P/N, but thanks for all the replies.

So far I'm very pleased with the computer, the only real complain I got is the position of the Fn and Ctrl keys, and that there's no BIOS option to switch them. Also, it is really a fingerprint magnet.

4. fabarati

Reputations:
    The fn button position is a habitual thing. For me, it's natural for it to be where it is.

5. reignofdragons

reignofdragons Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I own a F8VA-B1

I remember reading that the GPU (ATI 3650) runs at two different clock speeds, idle and gaming (or other strenuous activities). Does anybody know how this happens (for example, what triggers the switch)

I'm currently running Windows 7 64 Bit and i've monitored that clocks stay constant at 297.0 (core) and 198.0 (memory) even when i play games like Dawn of War Soulstorm.

anybody know any reasons why it stays at the idle clocks?

6. fabarati

Reputations:
    This functionality is overseen by the ATI Catalyst control center. The pre-beta drivers for W7 you get through Windows update doesn't include CCC, so you'll either have to install Vista drivers modfied for mobile use, a.k.a. using mobility modder, or getting the prebeta package from ATI.

However, whem I tried to install any of those versions, they crashed and burned for me. That may be because I tried using the compability function (don't remember why), and that crashes everytime I use it on W7.

You could just do what I do on both Vista and W7: Do a manual Underclock, then restore it to default or overclocked states when gaming, either by automatic 3d-detection or choosing yourself. I use AtiTool, and have 4 profiles: Underclocked (c:125/m:100 MHz), the driver underclock (c:250/m:200 MHz), default (c:500/m: 400 MHz) and overclocked (c:500/m:500 MHz).

7. reignofdragons

reignofdragons Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    fabarati - thanks for the reply

i'm currently using ATI's preview driver which does include CCC. When i had Vista, i never saw these options in CCC, it just happened (when i monitored the clocks).

So since you seem to have got it to work, what did you mean by "manual underclock"...when i was on Vista...catalyst 8.12 didn't work with ATI (or at least for me)...so what drivers are you using that is compatible with ATITool.

Thanks again.

I also flashed my Bios to 208...would that effect anything?

8. fabarati

Reputations:
    The function you want to find for the drivers handling them is called Powerplay.

With manual underclock, I mean that i've set the clock speeds of the GPU at the lowest stable setting and kept them there.

AtiTool is compatible with all present drivers.

Just for the record: I have a F8Sa, with a HD2600.

9. Glock24

Glock24 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    farabati, I know most people prefer the Ctrl and Fn key where they are, but it is a personal chioce after all. My previous computer (Compal HEL80) had the option to switch the keys in the BIOS.

Are you running a 64bit OS? With XP64 or Vista64 AtiTool does not work, maybe t doesn't support the HD3650?

10. xszaszax

xszaszax Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, this is my first post here, i hope i can get some help...

The story:

Like a year ago i bought an asus F8SV, T7500, 2G, GF8600GT(256). From the beginning in several games (gtr evolution, test drive unlimited) i had the "Display driver stopped working...." error.
    In that time i was using the shipped nvidia driver (101.XX if i recall it correctly). I was thinking that it is a driver issue, so i started to search for a better driver.. Tried the 174.74(did the same) some early 169.xx drivers, they also did did the same. After several attempts i found a driver which was fine (167.62). It was an asus g1 driver, but it worked well until i decided to reinstall windows. Since then, GTR evolution is giving me the error like in every 10 minutes. Sometimes even the textures are misplaced and screen lags like hell, but if i alt+tab than go back to game it's fine for a while but i can expect the "display driver..." error very soon). I have to mention tho that in several cases i can finish whole races without the error, but it seems completely random tho :(

Tried like 50+ drivers, all are the same. Interesting but CS1.6 does the same thing, but it is happening much less frequently (like once in 2 hours). Did several windows installs (clean), tried on Vista 64, nothing works. I have to tell, that other games run fine (i can play cod4 or l4d for hours without any problem).

I started to check temps and other stuff and found out, that it seems like to be heat related.... (maybe i'm wrong). What is common in CS1.6 and GTR evo, that they are not so hard on cpu. While playing GTR evo, my cpu is only utilized around 60-70%, and the fan is only on middle speed. My gpu temps are around 82-85 (C).
    Just for info, GPU temps are @ lowish 60's when Idle, so the cooling should be fine. In other games, like cod4 or l4d which are hard on the cpu also, the fan is constantly on the highest rpm. Did not check the gpu temps, but i think they should be somewhere around low 80's. I had cleaned the vents several days before, so dust is not an issue.

My questions are: Did somebody had the same or similar problem. Is this a hardware problem? Should i contact an asus service?
    Can anyone recommend me a good, stable nvidia driver with low temps?

Thank you for the answers.

Szabi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.