Asus EEE PC Questions

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by mauddib87, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mauddib87

mauddib87 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok so I am torn between these three Asus pcs. This first from target is 267.99 (http://www.target.com/dp/B001EXE5LM/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_r=0F25S68P56CZ2FC25A0Q&pf_rd_p=445877401&pf_rd_i=B001EXE5LM&pf_rd_s=bottom-5&pf_rd_m=A1VC38T7YXB528&pf_rd_t=5101). It has an 8 GB Hdd, but I can’t tell which processor it has the Atom or the Celeron.

The other is from Best Buy and runs for 279.99 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9050206&st=asus+eee+pc&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1218012526050). It has a 4GB Hdd and has the Atom Processor.

The last one is from Best Buy and goes for 279.99 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8905973&st=asus+eee+pc&lp=8&type=product&cp=1&id=1213046768451). It has a 16GB HDD but has a Celeron Processor. This model although runs Xp.

I was just wondering if it would be more advantageous to go for the better processor (which I assume is the Atom?) or the larger HDD? Also would it be easier to just get xp or is the Linux OS a viable alternative. I would greatly appreciate any input on these topics.
    1) What is your budget?
    270-300
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Netbook; 10” screen or less

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Asus
    b. Dislike: None
    5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    I just want this to be able to take to class, and where ever I go. So it will be for some basic word processing (must be able to save in .doc for Microsoft office) & web browsing.
    6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    It will ideally go everywhere with me.
    7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games or types of games?
    Ha this isn’t a big issue for me.
    8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    As much as possible
    9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Either
    10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Linux

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not at all, as long as it is sturdy.
    14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    Around Christmas, and I want this to last for quite a few years

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You want to do Office on a 800x480 screen? You might want to pick up a used ThinkPad X31. It probably costs about the same and has similar performance, but offers you a much better keyboard and a taller, easier to read screen.

3. mkarwin

mkarwin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    if you want to do some office work you'd be better with the 10" products... but that's my opinion, which I can see is rather shared by ZaZ :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.