Asus Eee PC 1015B and 1215B thread

Discussion in 'Asus' started by gooface, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kent53

kent53 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    EchoShade, how is your touchpad holding up? Any problems with it yet?

I sent back my first 1215b because of the horrible touchpad, screen problems, crooked Ethrnet port and warped bottom. The second one I got (around Memorial Day), the touchpad worked fine but the keyboard was so mushy and flexed that I felt I was typing on a mini trampoline. Also, the keys were "floating" above the base of the keyboard so that I looked underneath them when sitting in front of the netbook. Sent the second one back also.

I am waiting for issues to be fixed (hopefully) before ordering another. How is your keyboard, flexing or OK? Does everything else seem solid and work OK? Has anyone gotten another color, silver or red? I wonder if they have corrected the problems before sending out the newer colors.

2. EchoShade

EchoShade Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for that. The keyboard filter setup won't work since it's a 32-bit but if you use the hotkey installer in the hotkey folder from the keyboard filter zip, you can get it working again.

I have no problems with the touchpad at all so far. I did a clean install though so that might be why. Still has keyboard flex but has that nice click with the keys so I don't feel the flex as much but it's still visually noticeable.
    The keys still float. I'm going to crack this open in about a month and check the physical connection of the touchpad to see if they did the fix or not. I bought mine when they came back in stock on Newegg on 5/27.

3. micman

micman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On the Asus 1215B:
    How does the battery do for everyone, does it last 8 hours like Asus says? Has anyone squeezed more life out of it? I'm thinking about getting two of these in the future, one for me one for my wife. If I do, I'll use mine as a guinea pig to squeeze the most battery life out of it. I would probably re-paste, maybe buy a cooling pad and maybe mess around with undervolting if that's even possible on brazos.

Also, has anyone installed Adobe Creative Suite or Unreal Developer's Kit or 3DS Max on the 1215B? How do they perform? Getting kinda tired of lugging my 15 lbs of computer weight to school 3 days a week...

4. EchoShade

Reputations:
    Undervolting the E-350, 2 sticks of RAM, APU re-paste with IC Diamond, and 64 GB Samsung 470 for lowest SSD idle power consumption with RAMDisk for temp files to prevent SSD usage.

Max temp at 65C and usually around 50C with no cooling pad necessary.

Highest I've gotten the Win7 battery estimate is 9Hr.40Min. idling with Wifi off and lowest brightness. Usually get around 7-8 hours doing light internet browsing.

5. 0utf0xZer0

0utf0xZer0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To those with the 1215B, how durable is it? I know I like this sort of size of notebook since I got to try out a HP dm1z a while back, but it was quite easy to cause distortions on the dm1z's screen by pressing on the lid. That's a concern to me, since there will be only a thin layer of padding between this and my law textbooks in my bag. Is the 1215B any better?

I'm especially concerned since I lost a previous notebook to a cracked LCD panel (despite the casing being completely intact) a few years back.

6. EchoShade

Reputations:
    Well the bottom keyboard half is pretty solid. Still wouldn't stack books on it. You can cause flex behind the screen by using about 3 pounds of pressure.

7. 0utf0xZer0

0utf0xZer0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. Since I haven't shopped for a notebook in a few years, do you have any idea how that compares to other notebooks? Certainly it does seem like a bit of a cause for concern... I wonder if anyone in my local area stocks a demo unit.

8. EchoShade

Reputations:
    Well I looked around at all E-350 netbooks available to the USA and I ended up choosing this one for the features. This was the only one with USB 3.0 at the time of my purchase with guaranteed compatibility with 8GB of RAM. The thing is a gigantic fingerprint magnet though.

As a side note, those 3lbs causing flex was in the center of the lid. The sides should be able to handle some decent force.

If you're interested in the Brazos platform then here's a list of ultraportables to look for. I'm only listing dual cores since I think the single core is pretty weak.

Asus 1215B 12.1"
    Asus 1015B 10.1"
    Acer AO522 10.1"
    Acer A0722 10.1"
    MSI Wind U270 12.1"
    MSI X370 13.4"
    Lenovo x120e 11.6"
    Lenovo S205 11.6"
    HP dm1z 11.6"

There's probably more like one from Sony that's hard to find now as well as a 14" Toshiba. For durability, you might want to look into the Lenovos.

As another side note, my touchpad's acting up after 2 months of use. Time to open the palm rest and apply the fix.

9. pawheel

pawheel Newbie

Reputations:
    I just bought the 1215b MU-17 in Bangkok, Thailand.

The specs are a little different here than in the US.
    -320G 5400 hd
    -2G DDR ram
    -USB 3.0

I was undecided about this machine, or the 1015b. The 1015b and this version of the 1215b are the same inside (C-50 CPU etc). The deciding factor was this machine also has USB 3.0 and the bump in resolution with the 1215b.

The machine comes with no OS. But I already had a copy of windows 7 ultimate. A disk with all the drivers came with it too.

I paid 10,000B. Or $330. One year international warranty.

This a popular machine here. They are everywhere in the malls and IT stores (MBK, Pantip ect.)

I'm going to upgrade the ram tomorrow to 4gigs.

10. co2-guy

co2-guy Newbie

Reputations:
    Going to order the 1215B in Denmark today.
    specs here are:
    500 GB 5400rpm
    4GB DDR3 1066MHz
    1x USB3
    Price: 630$ :eek:

One thing I don't get is, if it really only has a 10/100 Mbit lan?? No 1Gbit? Can anyone confirm this please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.