Asus Eee PC 1008HA Seashell Netbook Disassemble Guide

Discussion in 'Asus' started by David, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    This disassembly guide is for the Asus Eee PC 1008HA netbook.

NOTE: Remember to unplug your power cord and ground yourself before attempting to disassemble anything. I am not responsible for any damages you do to your netbook. This guide is simply for references only. Please also note that replacing your hard drive or ram will automatically void all manufacture warranties. USE WITH CAUTION!

Original guide and pictures from Netbook Italia (in Italian) and Mobile01.com (in Chinese)

Keyboard

Use a small flat-head screwdriver to unhook the 4 hooks located on the top of the keyboard. These hooks are located above the F1, F6, F10 and the Insert keys.

[​IMG]

Gently start prying the keyboard from the top and towards you. Some force may be required due to the keyboard being held down with double-sided tape.

[​IMG]

Once the keyboard is loosened out, disconnect the connector.

[​IMG]

Top Chassis Disassembly

Unscrew the 4 screws underneath the netbook as shown below.

[​IMG]

Remove keyboard (instructions above), unscrew 6 screws shown below (small red circles) and remove the blue connector (big red circle). One of the screws is located under the warranty seal. You will need to break the seal to access the screw.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Slowly pry from one corner to remove the top chassis.
    Once the top chassis is removed, you should see the inside components of the netbook. 1-Battery, 2-Speakers, 3-System board, 4-Hard drive.

[​IMG]

Bluetooth

Remove the keyboard and top chassis. The bluetooth module is located above the left speaker. Pull the BT module out to disconnect it from the system.

[​IMG]

Ram & Wireless Card

Remove the top chassis as shown above. Disconnect the 3 connectors from the system board (shown in red arrows)
    [​IMG]

Gently lift the system board from the bottom left corner. You will see another connector and will have to disconnect it (arrow).

[​IMG]

Flip the system board over to reveal the ram module (arrow). The wireless card is located adjacent to the fan.

[​IMG]

Remove the black cover over the ram module to reveal the ram.
    [​IMG]

To remove the wireless card, simply unscrew the 2 screws holding down the wireless card, lift it at an angle and slowly wiggle it out.

[​IMG]

Image below shows the system board with the fan, wireless card and black cover removed.
    [​IMG]

Battery

Remove the top chassis, disconnect the 3 connectors from the system board and the multi-colored connector from underneath the system board as illustrated in the previous Ram and Wireless Card section.

The multi-colored connector is the battery connector to system board.

[​IMG]

Hard Drive

Remove the keyboard, top chassis, system board and battery. Peel off any tape surrounding the hard drive.

[​IMG]

Slowly remove the hard drive from the SATA connector. The connector is on the right of the hard drive.

[​IMG]

Replacing/upgrading the hard drive is a challenge, since the drive is surrounded with a rubber casing and a styrofoam cushion that seems to be glued on to the hard drive.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. E.B.E.

E.B.E. NBR Procrastinator

Reputations:
    Thanks David. It seems they really made it difficult to upgrade this one. I wonder, was it an engineering decision due to the small form factor, or lobbying from Microsoft to prevent people upgrading to a "Vista-capable" configs yet using XP on the machine? :D

Yeah, joking... maybe.

3. David

Reputations:
    I'd give Asus the benefit of the doubt and say it's due to the small form factor :D

4. E.B.E.

E.B.E. NBR Procrastinator

Reputations:
    Thanks for the guide. I have added it to the ASUS Info Booth.

5. tbhtjd

tbhtjd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the awesome guide!

6. AggravatedGestalt

AggravatedGestalt Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an Asus K50IJ, and would very much like to open it to modify the lame ar9285 wificard and upgrade my ram. I have searched for hours and found nothing but this site, which is still not specific. Any links, or help of any kind would be appreciated.

7. bingeboy

bingeboy Newbie

Reputations:
    I can't get the top outer shell off. I have removed all the screws noted in the guide. It feels like there is another screw/clip or some kind of connection to the left of the touchpad. I have been using alot of force and I feel like if I pull any harder I'm going to break something.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks

8. David

Reputations:
    I remember having great difficulty disassembling the top case. It does require quite a bit of force. Make sure you have removed all the screws. Start by prying it open from the bottom right corner. It takes some courage to pry it open.

9. munchkin-man

munchkin-man Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is a great netbook. I can't wait to get some mulah to go grab one for school!

10. epbrown

epbrown Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In for this as well, I found it odd there were no instructions on upgrading the RAM but apparently ASUS likes to make this challenging. If no one's tried it yet, I'll give it a go next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.