ASUS DSL-N55U First impressions

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Meaker@Sager, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Got this installed last night:

[​IMG]

Looks good for a starter, was easy to set up, took the modem a little bit to initialise at first, but got itself sorted and connected right through without any help.

Ports are pretty straight forward:

[​IMG]

You can use any one of the USB ports to charge an Ipad or an Iphone. The Ethernet ports are gigabit.

My signal has been excellent, quoted as a constant 300Mbps (Killer-N 1102), phone (galaxy S2) seems happy too.

The interface has been really simple to setup, the wireless bands are totally independent and you can set them up completely differently.

Speeds down the modem are excellent and a bit better than the stock one as far as I can tell.

All in all very happy so far.

2. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What chipset is the device based on?
    I'm guessing Broadcom but you never know.

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
  4. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The chipset is: Ralink-A MEDIATEK COMPANY

How do you find the connection with yours? I bought one to replace my 3com 11n but found it syncs 4db higher than the 3com and the zyxel I tried. So my speed has dropped particularly my upload speed, pings are a fair bit higher too. It's a bit of a shame as feature wise there’s not much that can match it for the price. I’m considering sending it back in exchange for the billion 7800n.

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Stronger than my old o2 box, maximum sustained speeds of 1750KB/sec down, 1900 up.

6. ComputerJohn

Reputations:
    Thats good, My upload speed has dropped from 1400 to 888. I've made sure I have all the settings correct from my ISP and done the usual factory resets and so on. I think I've just picked up one thats a bit iffy, just happens like that some times I guess.

7. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's not iffy- modem chipsets are picky when it comes to certain lines and more importantly DSLAMS.
    I always recommend Broadcom based modem for multiple reasons including the fact that you can telnet to a modem and manually set a different threshold for noise which will result in modem re-negotiating connection with a higher speed.

8. ComputerJohn

Reputations:
    Yes that’s an interesting point, could well be a case that this particular router just does not sit well with my line. Over the years I've had many differant routers connected to this line as I have to test them for my customers from time to time. It's just a fact that this is the first time I've exerianced such an issue with upload speed. Again it’s a shame because I am a big fan of Asus and I really wanted this one to work out for me. Sadly I can’t live with the reduced upload speed as I do a lot of uploading for my work. My exchange does not support annex M so I have to make the most of the 1400 kbps on offer.

I've been in touch with dabs and they are happy to replace it with the Billion 7800n. It has the Broadcom chipset and as you said there’s the further option of tweaking the SNR should I need to at all. I could add other hardware with the usb sharing facilities at a later date.

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I meant to say 1900Kb, not KB up btw.

But yes as with desktops the best choice can depend on your configuration.

10. Fuzzy Wazzy Cat

Fuzzy Wazzy Cat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Greetings all,

may i please kindly ask where did you guys purchased this router from ?

:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.