1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Asus Build quality: good or junk?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by flybynite, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flybynite

flybynite Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ive been leaning toward getting an ASUS for college, but I need it to be able to take the abuse of going around campus. Are they built for that sort of thing? Also, how good is the warranty?
    --Thanks

2. Kdawgca

Kdawgca rotaredoM repudrepuS RBN Super Moderator

Reputations:
  3. flybynite

Reputations:
    Thanks Kdawgca, but that dosent really tell me much. I was looking for more of a comparison of build quality to other brands (hp, dell, ect)

4. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's hard to compare, as all brands have their own respective lines: Business, Consumer, Gamer/High End.

Business is often the most well built but also often lack the insides(specs), Consumer is the best bang for the buck, while the last category is very vague, often it combines both quality and specs.

As I mentioned, its hard to compare based on word of mouth, its like comparing an $20000 Civic to a $40000 Lancer, saying Mitsubishi is better then a Honda doesn't mean a thing, as the price difference as well as the model, as they both have their own series for different markets, such is the case for notebooks as well.

5. charlotte

charlotte Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Asus makes computers like the Sony FE as well as its own brand. There are varying levels of build quality. I have the G1 and it's all I've seen so it's all I can comment on. It is plastic with some aluminum. It feels very sturdy, no flex, excellent hinges. I like the plastic but expect to see a few scratches over time. It's on par with my old Toshiba Satellite 5205 which was a $2500 computer in it's day (2003).

The W and V series should be excellent, the A8's are known to scratch, but the build is pretty solid from what I hear. I've read a lot of posts on that forum and have read few complaints about build.

6. flybynite

Reputations:
    Fair enough. I have a $1800 budget so im most likely going for a mid-range system, not bussiness class.

7. Thaqui

Thaqui Newbie

Reputations:
    I have had no complaints about the build quality of the Asus laptops I have dealt with - one was very cheap end, the other more midrange. They were both predominantly plastic - the cheaper one got knocked around a fair bit (and had wine spilt on it), but still hasn't shown any signs of wear.

8. flybynite

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies.

Any comments on the Asus f3 series?

9. FREN

FREN Hi, I'm a PC. NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Not a business-class notebook (it's the budget version of the V1JP). It'll scratch easily like the A8J, but it's not total junk. Just be careful and don't abuse it, and you won't screw it up.

10. trooper_gs

trooper_gs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    it seems as an old model but since the price has dropped you may consider to buy a w3j. I have one for 8 months and had no problems. build quality is excellent, has very good performance and it is portable too