ASUS , Acer , or MSI

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by mikeco, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeco

mikeco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hello ,

the options are as follows :

ASUS S46CM-DH51 Intel Core i5 3317U 6GB 1TB GeForce GT635M 14.1IN DVDRW BT Windows 8 Notebook
    Acer V3-571G-6489 Intel Core i5 3210M 8GB 750GB 15.6in GeForce 640M DVDRW WLAN BT Win7 HP Notebook
    MSI CX61 0ND-010US Intel Core i5 3210M 6GB 500GB 15.6in GeForce GT640M DVDRW WLAN Win7 HP Notebook

ok, now my questions

1. which brand would you opinion as the "best" to get?

2. between MSI and Acer, which is "better" brand ?
    (at same price Acer gets 2gb ram more, and 250gb more storage | but if Acer is a crap brand that will break right away i would like to know.)

3. the Intel Core i5 3317U compared to the Intel Core i5 3210M - what does the U and the M mean,does the extra 107 on the 3317 compared to 3210 make a difference in the computer performance?

4. is the price difference between the ASUS and the other 2 ($50 less) because the other 2 come with windows 7 and not 8?
    and is there any big difference between windows 7 and 8 that is needed or very useful??

im not filling out that forums form, those are my 3 options.
    thanks!

2. danielschoon

danielschoon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    my vote goes tp the MSI, MSI is 1000 times better than Acer.

The i5 3317U will be smashed by the 3210m. The U is for Ultra Lov Voltage processor. It is less battery hungry butter sacrifises a lot of preformance and in rl the battery use wont be much lower. And further more the 635m is a fermi based chip which is ´old` and there for uses more battery i dont get that Asus at all :confused: Put in a UVL chip with a fermi chip what were the smoking :p Just use a 640m and i5 3210m like that other laptops...

Windows 7 or 8 doesnt matter too much. I´d get the MSI as it is the best laptop at the lowest price. It will have good overall preformance and good quality-#.

3. mikeco

Reputations:
    thank you for the advice.

so 6GB ram should be enough for video games right?? :D
    im not too worried about the storage, my desktop im on right now only has 120GB, and im doing just fine.

4. danielschoon

Reputations:
    yeah that is enough i think. But you can always add RAM your self. I think that 2gb (1 x 4 and 1 x 2 i guess it is) stick might be changable, for only like 20$ you can get a 4gb and you would have 8gb RAM

5. mikeco

Reputations:
    ummm,
    is adding ram something i can do myself...or do you need to take laptop apart and i should take it to computer store to do it?

6. danielschoon

Reputations:
    mm take the back panel of and click the tray of RAM in and no further instalation. It is the easyest hardware job there is. YOu can perfectly do this yourself. My MSI is really easy to open and it would be a 5 min job in my laptop and i dont have experience with computers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.