1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Assassin's Creed 2 Review and test of DRM

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by 2.0™, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziddy123

ziddy123 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Uh, uncrackable DRM would solve the problem

We already understand there is no correlation between piracy and sales lost. But an uncrackable DRM would defeat piracy, but not necessarily raise sales. But that wasn't what we were talking about. Raising sales and implementing stupid DRM are entirely two different issues.

And I was serious. You could be a millionaire right now. Go, tell Ubisoft to give you the millions they spend to fight piracy and solve their DRM problem

2. tianxia

tianxia kitty!!!

Reputations:
    i guess that's why they haven't created it.

3. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    If Ubisoft is really too stupid to come up with something that took me 10 minutes to think of, they know where they can find me.

4. trvelbug

trvelbug Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4721051016/m/7481010838/p/1

angry customers galore, many of them talking about pirating the next ubi game and using the crack for ac2.
    "caveat venditor"

why wait, make millions or even zillions :p

5. Darth Bane

Darth Bane Dark Lord of the Sith

Reputations:
  6. Triple_Dude

Triple_Dude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Already posted earlier in the thread. But, uhh, thanks for the late update?
    Absolutely, in a decade or so, most of our applications may actually no longer reside on our "PC's", but simply a server somewhere with lots of redundancies and all the data's are streamed to us in real-time.

That would pretty much stop piracy outright, but we'll see how the public reacts to his new digital movement.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    Why are people even buying this game? I don't get it. Seems like a completely moronic DRM if I ever heard one. So much opportunity for issues. Sigh.

8. trvelbug

Reputations:
  9. Rorschach

Rorschach Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The issue with the servers isn't that much of a surprise, I remember farcry 2 had horrible server issues for the first few days.

10. Harleyquin07

Harleyquin07 エミヤ

Reputations:
    Just read the gamespot review of the PC version for AC2, it's a shame that the DRM scheme is in place since it's actually a great game underneath all of the draconian measures. The $10 increase for US consumers probably shows you how much the DRM scheme must have cost Ubisoft to implement and how little they're going to get out of it in return.

11. HTWingNut

Reputations:
    Anyone know the sales figures so far for AC2 on PC?

12. trvelbug

Reputations:
    i went to the mall after work today and saw ac2 retail for sale at less than 30usd in my region.
    i was so tempted to buy but theres just no way i can supprt this kind of drm aside from the fact that i dont have a hi speed internet connection 50% of the time.

13. ziddy123

ziddy123 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah their review was awesome... we spent hours trying to connect. We had frequent disconnects from server or delays as the server tried to access gamer profile. Not only that, if you have an Xbox 360 controller, you'll find the game controls more intuitive. The problems with this game are "very prominent."

The video clips they show, the AI is extremely stupid and slow, like as if the AI was dumbed down for consoles... oh wait... every time he dual stabbed two people the third just stood around shrugging. While you are trying to get up after leaping and stabbing, I'd think the third person would stab you in the face while the two swords are still in the two dead people... That's dumb.

That sounds like joy for PC Gamers.

Exactly why should anyone who plays on PC buy this again?

14. cha

cha Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Funny, now you said it trvelbug. As I also checked it out this afternoon after work. Price was pretty good, but knowing how internet sucks here in our country....

15. trvelbug

Reputations:
    yeah i really wanted to get ac2 and SH5.
    that <30usd price tag does make you think twice.
    but i dont have a good connection when im not home so these would be only playable from my house. not good.
    in the end i just got the dow2 expansion in steam for the same price.

16. HTWingNut

Reputations:
    I really hope they issue offical patches to remove this DRM. I want SH5. Great series, but just can't see buying into this crap.

17. trvelbug

Reputations:
    crap indeed.
    even legit owners with fast, stable connections are complaining: they cant login, it stops mid-game when the server cant connect, saved games have been lost, etc.
    at first ubi said that the servers couldnt handle the number of players, then they said it was actually an attack by pirates causing the server problems. and most recently they said that it was actually inhouse server related issues.

right now there 36 pages of angry AC2 owners in the official ubi forums.
    everyone is upset but no one more so than these legit owners

18. fzhfzh

fzhfzh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And that's why server sided DRM is not practical, look at AC2, even a simple originality authentication code is putting a strain on the server, can just imagine what happens when they decide to put half the game's code on the server.

19. WolfintheSheep

WolfintheSheep Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    False. That's where a single segment of the industry is headed. This is no different than a newspaper business saying "If we all put up paywalls, people would pay for news".

There are dozens of alternatives to Microsoft, Apple or other "big corporation" software. Some of the best are completely Open Source and free, meaning they have absolutely no desire to have anything to do with clouds.

The only thing a Cloud based solution will do is - once again - keep legitimate customers legitimate. And then them off, because no Network or internet connection is stable enough to support such technology, and probably won't be for the next decade.

20. 2.0™

2.0™ NBR Macro-Mod® Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Let alone the fact that the penetration of high speed internet would have to be near ubiquitous, redundant, and preferably wireless.

Could that happen in 10 years time? Not likely all things considered. In 25 years? Perhaps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.