Aspire V7-482PG-9884

Discussion in 'Acer' started by cernio, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zgintasz

zgintasz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wonder why every article about "V5-573G-74518G25aii" is only in german language.

2. G-Force

G-Force Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, the i7 refresh is available here (The Netherlands) but it's not even on Acer's own website yet, lol.

Though we only have them with Windows 8.1 included.

3. timnkoo

timnkoo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, great thread. I'm looking at picking up a V7 but deciding on which model. Can somebody please tell me the difference between the V7-482PG-5842 and the V7-482PG-6629?

I see the Acer site lists the 6692 as $100 more than the 5842, but aside from the 5842 having Win 8.1 (cheaper go figure???) vs 6692 with Win 8 I cannot see the difference. Here is the direct comparison link Acer | Product Compare

What am I missing???

4. timnkoo

timnkoo Newbie

Reputations:

Hello ello ello....

5. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    5842 has 16GB SSD to boost speed in addition to normal HDD. That's the only difference I see.

6. timnkoo

timnkoo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Downloads, I see this a benefit. Seems strange that this is $100 less than the 6629 on the Acer site...

7. Yourstrulyxx

Yourstrulyxx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's cheaper because the current "16GB SSD" is not an actual SSD, it's part of the SSHD hybrid harddrive. It's a Western Digital SSHD 500gb harddrive + 16gb ssd in one. The msata port is empty; which IMO is a good thing. Cost effective for Acer and easier upgrade path for me. Simply buy a new msata ssd and install it.

8. fortis288

fortis288 Newbie

Reputations:
    So I got the low end version of this laptop with the 500 GB HDD, and I underestimated how quickly I would fill it with data. Can anyone help me with my data options?

1) I can replace the mSATA SSD with an mSATA 480 GB SSD, while keeping the 500 GB 2.5" HDD in place. This would be roughly 240 dollars.

2) I can replaced the mSATA SSD with an mSATA 256 GB SSD, and replace the 500 GB 2.5" HDD with a 1TB 2.5" Hybrid HDD/SSD. This would roughly be the same price as the first.

Are there any pros/cons in taking option 1 or 2? Also, is there any point in having a hybrid HDD/SSD paired with another SSD drive, or should I just go for a much cheaper pure HDD?

9. Yourstrulyxx

Reputations:
    Depends i guess, if you're filling up the drive mostly due to torrents, then you shouldn't run it off your ssd(so option 2 is better). If it's because of photo/video editing then i'd opt for option 1 because it run so much faster on the spacious ssd. Same if you're application/games heavy, option 1 will be faster/better.

You shouldn't need a hybrid SSHD since you'll be running the msata as your primary/OS drive; can save a bit of money there or opt for a larger HD. You can also consider an external drive if what you're looking for is storage.

Funnily enough sometimes my local computer store will sell external 2.5 HDD cheaper than just buying an barebores/internal drive. Like right now ncix.com is selling a 2TB External Seagate PLUS USB3.0 drive for $99.99(pretty sweet price). You can always just tear it down and install it into your laptop; it's actually a samsung M9T inside. It's more cost effective and you end up with a sata<-> usb3.0 converter and cable. The downside being the external drive case will be destroyed since it's glued and not clipped.

10. Yourstrulyxx

Reputations:
    Oh, and something off topic, is there anybody here from the vancouver/bc area with a spare 24gb msata module they're not using? Would love a 24gb msata ssd that I can install and play with on an old acer atom netbook I have. I got a chromebook build currently going with a 8gb sd card and it's not working out so well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.