Aspire 7720G major upgrade

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ttomorad, Jul 17, 2010.

1. blackpanther99

blackpanther99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Me too. Same problems with latest driver (up to 179.x, this version is the last release workly. If you do not knew, you can install this on 7720g ;) )

I would like to install v.342 drivers but I have the famous issues of compatibility (black screen, crash system, etc..) In this forum I was reading about to flash the vbios or similar... can you guys help me?

same problems with windows 10...

2. designer79

designer79 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, there
    First let me say that I am thrilled that so many people want to keep their old hardware alive .
    Believe it or not I am the original designer from the Acer aspire gemstone serie . Which started with the 5920...
    Here
    https://twitter.com/omolody1/status/1367446439853518848?s=21

years later I am helping a relative to revive the laptop .

i am was wondering if any of you used the second mini pci express to put a decoder card type Broadcom bcm 970012 or 15? And saw some improvement ?

I cleaned the laptop upgrade to original bios ,1.45. updated to a Samsung 860 ssd 1tb and 2x2 gb. Put a wlan card Typ intel ac 7290 Under win10 64bits
    Thoughts of putting a t9500 and a 9600gt ddr3 to replace the t8300 and 8400mgt...but I think the performance will be barely more than 15% improvement for about 80€ (45€CPU +35€GPU)

the Laptop works Fine , but win10 put the regurlarly the cpu at 100% for a few second ...which triggers the fan ...the cpu never gets warm over 55degree but I didn’t find any utility to control the fans (apparently no sensors reading ) any advice welcome!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  3. StardustCrusader

StardustCrusader Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Go ahead and try. Will probably work just fine, unless there's a specific whitelist (though I am 101% sure there isn't any)

For CPU + GPU... that might b a tough one. Personally I'd go for T8300 + HD4650 if you don't want to upgrade the CPU. Otherwise a T9500+ HD4650 might be better. It is pretty much plug-n-play if you can source the Acer OEM card, the only cosmetic issue I noticed is BIOS sees 0MB of VRAM - Windows sees all 1024MB of the VRAM. The HD4650 is supposedly 83% faster than the 9600M GT, according to UserBenchmark, though I'd take that with a grain of salt.

I'm waiting for my college classes to go online, just so I can go back home and get onto some sweet projects - including my 7720G and a recent trash find of a HP DV9730EL (C2D w/ 8600M GS 512MB variant)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  4. Mart786

Mart786 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, haven't posted for some years in this thread. Owner of a 7720g dead now and for sometime after some attemps to change the original 8600 nvidia which is not working any more either. I no longer believe I could find a replacement that could work for a long time due to the original "sin" when manufacturing them.

I love the machine so I'm planning to give a try to external gpu trough EXP GDC beast and expresscard but I'm not really sure if it could work without an installed and working GPU to boot first.

As far as I could see no one has tried this with this model altough it says it is compatible with acer 5720g wich is almost the same model as the 7720g, only smaller.

If someone has tried before or have done valuable research on it please let me know so I can move forward with the project.

Will let you know if it works in the next two months or so if I manage to gather all the stuff needed.

This would be the "Frankestein variant" of an upgrade for this model but could be the only way to keep it going for most of us. The idea is not to spend more than 100 bucks on the whole solution.

Cheers,
    Martin

5. StardustCrusader

StardustCrusader Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd go with a HD4650 honestly. Acer OEM'd HD4650s will work just fine on both 5720 and 7720, save for the 0MB that's shown in the BIOS (Windows will detect the correct size.)