Aspire 7720G major upgrade

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ttomorad, Jul 17, 2010.

1. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you still have videos on tape, then I understand, but just a bit, if you have newer laptops, a video capture card might be a more usable tool, at least you could use it on more things than just one camera, but if you have use for the laptop, then go for upgrading it.

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I can't see not using it at this point. I am typing on it right now, and it's really fast. I am super impressed. I thought with 1909 it would be laggy like the mac, but it's smooth. Its going to be even better with the extra gear put in it.

3. Tarkonte

Tarkonte Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Kojack!
    My 7720G is abandoned, let to be covered by a thick layer of dust because of VGA broken.
    I didn't try to resuscitate with oven trick, because some skilled people told me that it could be resolve for a short time the issue but it will not fix it and, the first time I will use heavily the VGA or the PC will get a little shock, it will freeze again.
    So I decided not to spent money on a vga replacement and i've managed to buy a new system but....
    My eyes are not young and I struggle to see with high resolution 15" displays and HDReady 15" it's insufficent for many applications and web pages... so
    I've decided to resume my broken 7720 e buy a new VGA.
    I will check for a 9600M GT with 512MB, if compatible with my BIOS:
    Now, I was interested to upgrade my RAM because 4MB with windows 10 are few and not able to support new applictions, so I ask you wich type of 4GB modules did you buy, and if you can double check if your configuration is equal to mine, specially in chipset version.
    Thank you in advance and sorry to bother you.
    Happy work with your 7720G!

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't have the g version. Just the regular 7720. My chipset will be different. The ram modules I will be using are probably the only ones I could find, on eBay. I think they are hynix branded. Good luck bringing your old iron back to life. It really is a great system for doing stuff besides gaming.

5. Tarkonte

Reputations:
    Thank You Kojack.
    Could you kindly check if your chipset is the GM965 Express (as stated by official documentation) rather than the PM965 Express sported by my own 7720G?
    I've red somewhere of some people beeing successful in using 4+2 or 4+4 DDR2 configurations in their 7720G systems, but unfortunately I didn't find it again, probably they were stored in an old web site no more available.
    Thank you in advance,

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I will fire it up and look in a little while. Honestly, unless you plan on gaming, 4gb is enough I think. The system zips along quite nicely on w10 1909.

7. eatmydust

eatmydust Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Coming back once again for the RAM thing.

I purchased the Crucial 8GB 2X 4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHZ Laptop Memory Sodimm Speicher Ram 200pin

Problem is when I put only one module (1x4GB), system is running. However, when I plug the second one, I get just a black screen.

The most strange thing is that its running perfect with Crucial 1x4GB and Hynix 1x2GB = 6GB of RAM.

I cannae understand, since the chipset recognises the single module of 4GB, why doesnt recognise both of them??

Any suggestions to make them work? I think if I purchase all possible brands and start mixing them, it might work with a combination.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  8. Tarkonte

Reputations:
    I suppose that number and size of single memory chips matters.
    Or, more probably, system sees 4+2 GBytes but, if you run a memory test, it will stop at 4GB...
    BTW, according to Intel datasheets and literature, GM965 and PM965 share the same memory controller. GM965 has integrated graphic that access to the RAM via memory controller, mapping on it the basic amount of 128, 256 or 512 MB of shared memory.
    This is the only difference.
    It seems very weird that some system could run more than 4GB on these chipsets, because there is a bit register lenght (36 bit) that limits addressing to 4 GB (32+4 bit dedicated to ECC/CRC).
    But this is controversal because some BIOS implementation could override CRC/ECC bit usage leaving 1 or 2 more bits to addressing..
    Any way, if your systems does not hang with 4+2 arrangement, check it deeply with some memory tool.
    So, I wouldn't spent more money in memory upgrade, assuming that 6 GB is the maximum...It will be better than 6 GB...

9. eatmydust

eatmydust Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As I said, my system now is running with 6GB of RAM. Slots are reading the 4GB module individually but once I put both 4GB modules, I get just a black screen. Nothing is booting up. How is that possible?

I guess if I combine a different brand, I might get the system run on 8GB...

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hmmm, maybe it blocks 8gb regardless, and let's 6gb slide. If that's the case, I will just keep 4 and move along. It really does work good right now. Once I get the 2 new SSD in there, with a new battery and keyboard, I should be good to go.

Another question. Does the mhz of the ram matter alot?