Aspire 7720G major upgrade

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ttomorad, Jul 17, 2010.

1. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @eatmydust There are two kinds of Intel 7260 one that is 802.11n and the other that is 802.11ac compatible.
    The one I provided an Amazon link for is the AC one not N one so that's what I meant to do.

2. eatmydust

eatmydust Newbie

Reputations:
    I would like to summarise what I have already read in this thread.

Display: I have the 17" WXGA (1440 x 900) and I saw a member changed his screen to 17" WUXGA (1920 x 1200). Is it just plug n play?

BIOS: Acer has the 1.45 version. Is there a black edition 1.45 as well? What is the MXM edition? What is the VBIOS edition? I read that a member has a custom 4.0 Black edition version. Which is one is the best finally?

CPU: the maximum you can put is the T9500 @ 2.6GHz. Well, I have the T9300 @ 2.5GHz so it's fine. Is that right?

GPU: the maximum you can put is:
    • Toshiba NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M - what DDR? How many MB?
    • Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M - what DDR? How many MB?
    • Toshiba NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M - what DDR? How many MB?
    What's going on with the drivers of the cards above? Do I need to edit their INF files?

Personally, I have the 9600M GT 1024MB DDR2. What's the difference with 9600M GT 512MB DDR3? Is it better to change to 512MB DDR3 or to one of the above? if so, which one?

WLAN: I have the Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN which looks like it's incompatible with 8.1. While I'm working on my laptop, it restarts on its own. Any solution for that? Is that card's drivers fully compatible with Windows 10?

I also saw many members here changed their WLAN card. Why? I collected all of them as below. Which one is the best finally? What is going on with drivers?
    • Intel® Centrino Advanced N 6205
    • Intel® Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300
    • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
    • Atheros AR5B95
    • Ubiquiti SR71-15

Bluetooth
    : Also a few members have changed their bluetooth mode? I guess this has been done to update the protocol from 1.0 to 2.0, 2.1 or even 4.0?

Is the bluetooth module integrated to the WLAN card or is it separate?
    I saw a member's signature mentioning the Broadcom BCM2046. Any link for buying it please?

I would be most grateful if anyone could reply to my questions one by one so that I get an overall view of what I am going to do.

Many thanks in anticipation,
    Yannis

3. eatmydust

eatmydust Newbie

Reputations:
    @downloads or @DoZe could you please make your comments on my post above? :D

4. downloads

Reputations:
    @eatmydust As for Wi-Fi cards - Intel Ac 7260 is the most recent you can get and unlike others it supports 802.11ac wi-fi. Driver updates are provided by Intel although not as frequently as you might have hoped (probably only security fixes at this point).

Intel 7260 also includes Bluetooth in board so that's got you covered as well (it's BT 4).

5. eatmydust

eatmydust Newbie

Reputations:

@downloads Thank you for the reply. Could you tag the best people here that could comment on the rest of my post please?

6. downloads

Reputations:
    Honestly I don't remember who still has 7720G - as a moderator I read through all posts here and sometimes get lost in it all :oops:

7. eatmydust

eatmydust Newbie

Reputations:

Guys I am replying to my own post to bring it up and to get more chances to be seen. Sorry about that

8. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Yes and no. Yes - you can dirve WUXGA, since you already have 2ch LVDS, no - if you are looking at LED panels, since yours is CCFL. I can't recall a P/N of a premium WUXGA CCFL one. Sorry. If you aren't all about quality and colors, any WUXGA CCFL would do.

I really don't know which one is the best, what I do recall is one of the later ones fixes MXM structure and allows hassle-free upgrades (or it was all of them). As for vBIOS, the GPUs come with their own vBIOS (some GPUs have their vBIOS into the system BIOS, don't ask me why) so this vBIOS edition might integrate it onto the system BIOS to make ROMless GPUs (lacking on-board vBIOS) to run, but this is just a guess on my side.

Can't tell for certain, but most aftermarket nVIDIA upgrades require INF modding.

DDR3 gives you faster performance, while the 1GB DDR2 obviously gives more storage, which is kinda useless paired with this particular GPU. It was back in the day, even more so now, but this is my opinion. Of these two the GDDR3 version is better. In any case, the most powerful GPU you can probably run is a Toshiba GT 330m 1GB DDR3, this is the best MXM-II GPU ever made. Click here to check how a 6930G user made it running.

Yes and yes. One if not all of the BIOSes should support DualIDA, so you can get an extra 200MHz on top.

downloads likes this.
  9. DoZe

DoZe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  10. eatmydust

eatmydust Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate that.

In terms of the wireless card and the bluetooth module, the only thing I have to do is to remove my current wireless card(bluetooth attached to the Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN ???) and add Ubiquiti SR71-15 and the bluetooth module of the link you provided? If this is the case, is there space for both?