Aspire 7720G major upgrade

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ttomorad, Jul 17, 2010.

1. DoZe

DoZe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all :)

happy to post here, it has been a long time i post a message here !

Didn't know, but probably some people here have this problem too :

Yesterday i need to transfer some data on Samsung SDXC UHS-1 64 Go, but it seems with Ricoh SD reader, some problems appear
    i'm on Win10 RS3 :

1) I can heard the sound scheme about a peripheral connection.
    2) Explorer wait and you can see "the green bar" progression
    3) The icon ans the letter appear....
    4) No Way........ Can't work and explorer Hang :mad:

Try to find the latest one , but same result, i precise mine was 6.10.1.5 before i decide to find a solution.

i've found a package with number 2.15.17.02 (6.10.10.32 inside) here :

https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=32974

There's a rep "Driver" who contain all the driver needed by the Ricoh SD card controller.
    Don't really matter if no mention about Win 10, it works.

But Same result with my 64 GB SDXC, i observe only the name and version has changed by :

Ricoh PCIe SDXC/MMC Host Controller
    25/05/2011

i search again and find this :

www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Ricoh+SD+Host+Controller

As you can see the latest seems to be the 6.10.1.5 :(

But i see the 6.21.11.46..... try to DL it and try it.....
    Can't install it directly because WIn10 annoy me with Driver signature !!!

To solve this, i take ONLY the Two .sys (risdxc64&x86) for Ricoh SDXC and MERGE IT into the 6.10.10.32
    But the 2 .sys version is 6.21.11.46, bigger than the 6.10.1.5 and 6.10.10.32

Install it. ok..... no more drv signature Fu..k'in prob.....
    insert my SD..... YES IT WORKS :D

Fully working with SDXC UHS card , my peek transfer is about 6.7 MB/s

Ps: The .inf from 6.21.11.46 seems to be better, with more peripheral Inside,etc... but some investigation is necessary to resign and create a perfect driver.
    could probably install it with a modded .inf with F7 boot mode, but i do this to be more easier to install for newbie.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    triturbo likes this.
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have the 7720 (non G) version and Mine supports 4 gb of ram. I think that was more of a windows thing and not a hardware thing. I have 4 gb in mine and it reads and uses 4gb. that is running windows 10. I think that 32bit windows vista (and maybe 7) was limited to 3gb of ram.

3. DoZe

DoZe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine, 7720G with ICL50 motherboard Rev 3.0 (yes, i'm Lucky), support only 4GB, if i put 8GB Inside, no problem, the bios see it correctly (blackedition 1.45).
    In Windows, 8GB appears too, but only 4GB are usable.
    As far as i could remember, it's a bug from the chipset.

PS : Forget to precise i use Win10 (1803) 64bit Os.
    ALL 32 bit OS limit for memory Adressing are 4GB MAX (2^32 = 4GB)

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I know mine uses all 4gb. Like I said, 32bit windows had a 3gb limit. I don't know about having 8gb of ram in MY system. I know all four a being used now.

5. Tarkonte

Tarkonte Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all!
    This is my first post in this forum and I appreciate a lot the work and the support all the users are giving to the community: thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

I've got an almost brand new (only 10 years old) 7720G from my old aunt that had broken the power-on button and was complaining for its extremely poor performance. Fixed the button issue with some plastic and rubber, now it has apparently no other problems and the plastic shells are quite perfect.

I've upgraded it putting 2 SODIMM 2GB memories found in a drawer and replacing the old 250 GB HD with a 240GB Kingston SSD device bought @37€ on the amazon, together with a new battery (the previous one was really dead).
    Installed Windows 10 and now I'm pretty happy for the general performance.
    My only complaint is related to the WLan section, an Intel 3845abg that has a very weak signal and a very poor transfer (no more than 20Mbps full throttle, laptop very near the AP) compared with the performance of a wired connection, even @ 100Mbps.
    I looked around for a replacement and i've found the Intel 4965bgn that should offer better characteristics with the same power consumption and that should be pin to pin compatible with the 3845 co-processor.
    The problem is that 4965 device comes with 3 antennas instead of the 2 provided by 3845.
    Before spending any more time and bucks, could someone assure me that:
    1. the Intel 4965bgn is recognised by the original bios 1.45 from Acer or shall I flash a modified version?
    2. could I use a spare Wifi antenna wire, passed around the laptop case without unassembly all the components?
    3. Should I use a modified bios, is it AA_7720G_CL50145A_NoEIST+Menus_ByCamiloml downloaded from bios-mods.com (/BIOS/index.php?dir=Insyde%2F) the right and last version?
    I will use this laptop only for internet browsing, mail, netflix or prime video and playing bridge on-line, so no need to upgrade the video card or the CPU (well, maybe a T9500 @ 15US$ could worth of...)
    This is my configuration:
    • 7720G ICK70 with 8400Gs and T8100
    • BIOS Acer 1.45
    • 2x Elpida PC2-6400 (400 MHz) memory banks
    • Kingston AD400 240 GB SSD + WDC WD2500BEVS-22UST0 HD
    • Windows 10 build 17134.345
    Sorry for my awful english.
    Many thanks in advance to all.

6. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi there

Wi-Fi card should work as long as you don't buy one that is meant for a specific vendor i.e. Lenovo. These cards are usually marked as such so as long as the listing is generic rather than specifies a notebook manufacturer, you should be fine.

The third antenna is not really necessary - the card is a two spatial stream one although if you want you can route a third antenna somewhere. It probably won't have the best reception anyway as you won't be able to get it into the screen assembly.

As for a modified BIOS - there is no real reason to flash one unless it offers something you specifically need, so I would not touch that.

7. Tarkonte

Tarkonte Newbie

Reputations:
    Routing a wire on the case along the edge it's not an issue... and I should get anyway an improvement in WiFi signal reception.

That's OK. Don't fix it if it isn't broken... isn't it?

Thank you a lot for your reply.
    Another question: I've got a spare Atheros AR5B95 from a scrapped HP Laptop.
    I'm figuring if this adapter could be detected by the BIOS... Any suggestion other than physically checking it?
    TIA

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  8. downloads

Reputations:
    Quite frankly I don't think you will see any improvement in reception either way but if you want to test three antennas, why not.

As for the HP card, it's hard to tell. HP at some point gave up on white-listing and cards with firmware specific to HP but I don't know if yours is old enough to still be from that white-listing era, or not. But since you already have it, the easiest thing is to check it.

Also I think AR5B95 is actually newer than Intel 4965bgn.

9. Tarkonte

Tarkonte Newbie

Reputations:
    ...well, while waiting for a reply, I decided to try and... et voilà, les jeux sont fait...
    I've installed AR5B95 on this laptop, reboot, entered in the bios, save modifications (nothing changed!), boot and Windows installed flawlessy the drivers.
    Just the time needed to input the network key, and I'm connected to my network infrastructure.
    I upgraded drivers to last WHQL version available from ath-drivers.eu but I didn't find any improvement relative to the previous version.
    Only few comments:
    • Connection seems to be capped @65 Mbps instead of the expected 300 (or 150 too) beeing 2 mt far from the wifi router
    • File transfers no more limited to 22 Mbps (speedtest achieves up to 45 Mbps while sons are streaming with different devices...my connection is a 50Mbps VDSL)
    • Resuming from Hibernate restores network connection; before, with 3945ABG I needed to force a hardware reset of the device otherwise I was unable to connect anyway
    • Unfortunately, the AR5B95 card is a half-height card instead of the full-height format of 3945 so, missing the screw holes, I had to fix a small spacer on the upper face of the card in order to get the cover pushing down the card against the slot liners. I'll manage to find a neater solution...
    I've another scrapped system a Fujitsu T5010 from which I could recover CPU T9600 and Intel 5200 Wireless Adaptor, but I'm afraid that neither the CPU nor the WiFi card will be compatible with 7720G.

Stay tuned...

10. downloads

Reputations:
    The most current drivers can be found here.
    AR5B95 is a single stream card - something I didn't notice as I've had it confused with AR5B93 which is a two spatial stream card.
    So the speed of 65mbps indicates that channel width on the router is set to 20MHz. If it can be forced to 40MHz the speed would go up to 135mbps.

As for the card being half-height there are adapters for that.

I don't remember Intel Wi-Fi 5200 - there were 5100 which wan't very good and 5300 which was. Both should work.