Aspire 7720G major upgrade

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ttomorad, Jul 17, 2010.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ok, I got my touchpad working. The solution, if anyone else is wanting to fix this, is download drivers for aspire e-571 synaptics drivers and install. Worked perfect. I was not using this computer as much anymore because of not being able to scroll with my touch pad! All fixed again now. This ole tank of a laptop is a great device!

geko95gek likes this.
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well after using it for a bit, I noticed the computer is struggling with web browsing etc. I am wondering if I need to upgrade the processor and ram in it.

3. geko95gek

geko95gek Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would take a look at upgrading to an SSD first, if you haven't done so already. Then RAM and CPU, in that order.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    already got an SSD in it, 4gb of ram.

5. geko95gek

geko95gek Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I guess it's CPU time then!

kojack likes this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yep. whats the fastest cpu I can get for it?

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think the 9300 will suffice in this beast. the 9500 is twice as much for not much more speed. I will check back with some reporting after it gets installed! Been busy with work and the 7720 got shelved for the time being.

8. proexpert

proexpert Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought 9600m gt VG.9PG0Y.005 from Acer; flash bios 7720g to cl50 1.45 black edition. Change cards. When power on - black screen, system not start, no bios signals, cooler works.
    Dead vga? Or maybe vbios need to change?

9. eclipse05

eclipse05 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys! Love to be here :)
    Recently I got Acer Aspire 7720 as a gift and as it is a beautiful laptop it's terribly laggy... I decided for few upgrades.

1) I ordered CPU T7700 as it is about 53% overall faster than previous and costed me just $4,99 with free shipping
    2) Crucial 120GB SSD

But does it make sense to upgrade RAM? Currently it's running on 3GB. What's the maximum that board can handle? Is it 4GB, 6GB?
    Is there anything else worth upgrading? Overall it is in excellent shape, no scratches, screen flawless...

10. darnok44

darnok44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi
    Those days when everything is so memory hungry, upgrading RAM is always good idea.
    Do You have 7720 or 7720g, because if it's first then It have most probably GL960 chipset which is limited to 3GB. If it's 7720g then it have probably PM965m chipset which should support 4GB.
    But sometimes manufactures were putting full GM965 chipset instead of crippled GL960, so only way to be sure is checking the markings on the die of the northbridge itself.
    On the top off that there are reports on the internet that full chipsets GM/PM965 somethimes in some laptops support more then 4GB, let's say 6GB. And even if would turns out that this laptop support more, there is a question: Is it wort it?, cause 4GB DDR2 sodims are very expensive. Like You see subject is quite complicated.