Aspire 7720G major upgrade

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ttomorad, Jul 17, 2010.

1. tronmolon

tronmolon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I got 2ºC temp decrease, crappy but better than nothing! I think it will be more apreciated when I get a notebook cooling base.

2. KKaras

KKaras Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings,

I have upgraded my Aspire 7720 with a 9650m GT, but the thing is that my TV out doesn't work anymore. I mean the DVI and VGA connectors both work with external monitors but when I try to hook it up to the TV, it doesn't detect anything. Does anybody has this problem too? Currently I'm running Win7 but it didn't work under Vista or XP. Plus I have the 258.96 drivers installed that I got from the Nvdia website.

3. Arminator

Arminator Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You are trying to connect using S-Video?
    I had that issue to but since I use DVI to HDMI to connect to my TV, it doen`t matter that much, at least to me ;)

4. KKaras

KKaras Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah I tried using S-Video connectors with 4 pins and 7 pins but no go. Guess I'll just have to forsake S-Video and invest in a more modern LCD TV with HDMI.

5. hexxor93

hexxor93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thats because the card isn't really for acer laptops so the s-video isn't mapped right hence why it doesn't work.

6. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I'm so pleased I found this forum. I've been wondering if my ageing 7720g could be upgraded, I suspected maybe it could but this thread has confirmed it. l'm now looking for the parts to give it a boost, is there anything new that could be used or is the best option still what is listed earlier in this thread. I've got 2 x 400Gb HDD's in it at the moment and I plan to replace one with a Corsair SSD as the boot drive using the single 400Gb for storage. I plan to change the CPU and maybe the GPU as well. I've had a look under the cover and the only thing I'm not sure about is how easy it is to remove the heatpipes/fan unit.

7. hexxor93

hexxor93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Lord Elpus to remove the fan and heat-pipes all you need to do is remove all the screws from the cpu, gpu and the fan itself. Then the fan should just fall off, for removing the heat-pipes you will have to remove the cpu pipe first then the gpu one will easily come off.

8. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Newbie

Reputations:
    Thats good then, thanks for the advice. I've found a T9300 SLAYY to replace my T7300 and I've been having a look at GPU's, am I correct that I need an MXM2 card and will any one fit as long as it's MXM2 or are there other considerations?

9. ttomorad

ttomorad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You're correct, MXM-II is the card type you need. The next question is what do you want from your laptop? Faster GPU for games, lower temps, etc...

10. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not really interested in playing games, I've got my desktop PC for when the mood takes me. I'm more interested in general speed improvements so I expect the new CPU will help there and then I'll put a corsair SSD in as well. I've already got 3 Gb of memory but I'll put some more in if I change to Windows 7 64bit. That should do it really but no doubt I'll be wanting to change the GPU later anyway:eek: