Aspire 7720G major upgrade

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ttomorad, Jul 17, 2010.

1. nohchiboy

nohchiboy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

Im planing to upgrade my 7720-6395 or get something else with similar to an upgrade configurations (after i sell mine).

Currently i have CPU T5250, GeForce 8400M GS, 2GB ddr2, WD 250 HDD.
    I want to buy new laptop, but after i read this thread i might make an upgrade instead. I dont play games (sometimes i play Counter Strike 1.6 or Condition Zero), just use my laptop for web surfing, videos and music.

What do you guys think? How much it will cost me to make a such upgrade? And where can i buy all these components?

PS: i checked ebay and there are SLAYX and ES.. what are the difference between these two?

2. tronmolon

tronmolon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello! Like i said i got some pics of my scary heatsink. I ended up doing the mod for myself, now the heatsink touch 100% the GPU core and added some little heatsink to help the main one. B4 this upgrade, i mean without the mod and without the littles heatsink, needed to put some more thermal paste than the necesary on the core, so the heatsink was able to "touch" the core. Playing Stacraft 2 the temperature went to 96ºC, now it doesn't go more than 84ºC and 51ºC at desktop.

Thank you =D

Pics: The mod at the pic is unfinished, need to file it a bit more. At the 2 graphics pic, the left one is the 8600M GT DDR2 and the right one the 9600M GT DDR3, notice the difference of the marked piece position.

Attached Files:

3. ttomorad

ttomorad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks very nice :)

4. ttomorad

Reputations:
    SLAYX are the OEM versions of CPU's, ES stands for Engineering Sample, avoid these.

5. nohchiboy

nohchiboy Newbie

Reputations:

Where can i buy SLAYX? On ebay i found not that many of them, and mostly from China... I heard if there are from far land its probably ES.

6. robbert-h

robbert-h Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I see you have added some extra heatsinks, Where did you order them. I am looking for some extra cooling.

:)

7. Arminator

Arminator Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Hey that detail on the first photo is the same reason why I had to modify my heatsink pad...

There was one tab which had to be completely removed son the heat pad would completely lay down on gpu core...
    And these purple add-ons where did you get them?

8. ttomorad

Reputations:
    It depends what CPU you're looking for. I had trouble finding OEM T9500 but I managed to find one from United Kingdom. It doesn't matter if it's from China, just read to description, the whole thing, so you don't buy something you don't want.

9. tronmolon

tronmolon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, that purple add-ons are Ram Heatsinks, the manufacturer is Zalman,got it from a computer shop near my home. Would be nice to get a Notebook Cooling Base, to keep the GPU better. If you use any or have any other idea to get it cooler, share it please!

=)

10. Arminator

Arminator Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And did you get any noticeable temp decrease with these little heat spreads?