Aspire 7720G major upgrade

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ttomorad, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jon5

Jon5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks the older driver versions seemed to be more stable but I couldn't get find that worked properly. I returned it to the seller before the week was out as i didn't want to get stuck with something i couldn't get to work and I was a little concerned I'd damage the card somehow while trying to figure out which driver version to use. I'll do some more research and see about buying another. Really I'd like to get a card that's a little faster than the HD2300 but most of all is stable, recognized by the system and that works well in Ubuntu too.

2. ttomorad

ttomorad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi people! Just wanted to add a little picture of the latest upgrade; black keyboard :) Looks elegant, hope you like it. Peace!

Attached Files:

3. hexxor93

hexxor93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does look pretty cool ttomorad I might have to copy you :p

4. ttomorad

Reputations:
    Just Do It :)

5. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    I was wondering should I take a black keyboard, but now I know - it's a must :D

6. gelmo81

gelmo81 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, this is my first post. I saw you made great upgrades and I want to follow your path. The question is quite simple (maybe stupid) I have an Acer 7720 (without the "g"). Can I make the same upgrades as you did for the 7720g?

My priority is to make Starcraft2 run smoother also with low details =). But as things are now when they are lots of units I get low FPS. I dont want to change my whole machine for this. What do you think guys? Does it make sense to change the video card (I read nvidia 9600m and 9650m could do fine)? or processor (t9500)? or both? (but i would preffer to change only the video card cause its quite cheap).

Thank you very much!

7. Arminator

Arminator Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @gelmo81

The only upgrade you can do with your 7720 is to upgrade CPU... GPU upgrade is not possible since your laptop has integrated GPU so it is not possible to change GPU...

8. gelmo81

gelmo81 Newbie

Reputations:
    so I opened the laptop and I found that the video card is not integrated on the MB. I made a picture of it. I guess its not just a 7720. By the way, maybe I can change that card, as I was able to remove it, no?!

Thhaaaanx :)

Attached Files:

9. ttomorad

Reputations:
    Great man! If you want to change your GPU and performance is what you want the most, go with 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3, it is significantly faster than 9650M GT with 1024MB DDR2. You need a MXM-II type GPU. BTW, what GPU do you have now?

10. ttomorad

Reputations:
    And another thing, you will probably need to take off the mounting bracket from your card and put it on the new one, they rarely come with one.