Aspire 7720G major upgrade

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ttomorad, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Riddhy916

Riddhy916 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i have a 7720g with g80 8600m gt and t7500 sometimes it runs too hot actually i am typing this from now i really like the look and build of it but the 2 grills of the gpu vent has melted and others are soft and weakening i really want to throw the 8600m gt and downgrade to g210m is it possible?

my battery sometimes works sometimes doesnt so i removed the 8 cell battery and running on ac power directly but for the last 5 or 6 days sometimes it shuts itself down even though its not running hot even the power button doesnt work sometimes after 5 to 6 tries

should i get a new battery and adapter? where can i get original ones are in there in ebay?

the 7720g is 2yrs old+ 2 days i think its time to ditch and upgrade
    i am really waiting on sandy bridge but i think my 7720g could last that long min 6 months any suggestions?

2. hexxor93

hexxor93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you want your laptop to go on use a weaker card in it for example a 9300m g it makes hardly any heat under load and can be overclocked well. As for the battery and charger, if you don't use your laptop anywhere but home just get a new charger. Try ebay or acer website.

3. Jon5

Jon5 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've got a Acer Aspire 7720G running Bios v1.45. It came with the Radeon 2300HD.
    I bought the 9650M GT but when i installed it the bios i says that the card has 0mb memory. Can anyone help? I tried installing a new drivers from laptopvideo2go.com but no joy. Can anyone give me some more tips?

4. Arminator

Arminator Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don`t think it is very important since windows recognizes graphics memory...

5. ttomorad

ttomorad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The same thing happened to me when I tried 9650M GT, but I agree with Arminator, as long as Windows recognizes it, it's not a problem. Probably just a limitation of BIOS.

6. hexxor93

hexxor93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is only happening because the bios on the card isn't a Acer one so the bios can't read all the information about the card. I would go far as saying thats normal as it wasn't made for this laptop :)

7. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    I see. Probably a new 130W PSU would've help or/and using ThrottleStop to alter the multiplier, one can only wonder. It's worth trying, but the X9000's price is "a bit" too high, I would much rather spend the money for a SSD.

8. Jon5

Jon5 Newbie

Reputations:
    I downloaded version 191.07 from laptopvideo + the corresponding inf file.
    the first time it crashed within 3 seconds. The second time I loaded up Win 7 i got as far as doing a windows experience test. The 3d part went from 1 to 6.3, which was nice but then it crashed a few seconds later.
    Can anyone recommend a stable version to use with my set up (Acer aspire 7720G + 9650M GT?
    oh BTW to Riddhy916 have you checked maybe your laptop for dust? That could explain why it's getting hot

9. ttomorad

ttomorad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree. Maybe the new PSU would help but now I can only guess. I tried so many throttling software available but with no help. SSD rocks, go for it my friend!

10. Arminator

Arminator Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you try latest driver version from nvidia?
    It is v258. you can download it here:
    NVIDIA DRIVERS 258.96 WHQL

Hope this will help