Aspire 7720G major upgrade

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ttomorad, Jul 17, 2010.

1. applemaca

applemaca Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    it really was that simple......:) thx

2. ttomorad

ttomorad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello you guys! It's been a while since I last checked this thread...

I just wanted to let you know that my upgraded notebook is still kickin' it with no problems but with one more feature;
    fully unlocked 1.45 BIOS thanks to the guys at Bios Mods.

Not sure if this qualifies as a mod but if someone wants to have a full BIOS enabled you should check it out. There was a huge progress made with Insyde H20 unlocking. Memory timings, VT, ACPI States, Dynamic FSB switching, and a lot more!

I wish I have that X9000 CPU right now to test it with these options ;)
    Here are some screenshots about what you can expect from unlocking yours...

Attached Files:

3. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, MXM Edition also has all these options unlocked - in fact, this looks like a rather glitchy unlock compared to that.

BTW, "IST Configuration" controls Dual IDA. Disable it before using ThrottleStop to get Dual IDA, while enabling it improves power savings.

4. ttomorad

Reputations:
    MXM Edition?

5. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is in the x920G thread. Another version, "EFI Edition", will also be out soon, with EFI shell support.

6. ttomorad

Reputations:
    Do you know someone who can make my Insyde H20 BIOS less "glitchy"? :)

7. DoZe

DoZe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The best bios for "Clean and Professional" Menu was the MXM patched Version by "Kizwan-Netroller and the One made by Dummy on Marcan's Blog :

request download ticket | Aspire7720BiosModVersionH.zip - ifile.it

this is the description file :

------- -----

There is one BIOS version in this package. File name is CL50145G.fd. See the notes below, please, for details.

This file has been tested by me on two different machines, one with a T7500 and one with a T7300 CPU.
    It is working correctly to my satisfaction.
    However, be aware that the original bios contains a lot of old and outdated code.
    Some of the options do not even work as expected. I made no attempt to fix that.

Clearly, Acer did not bother to use newer source code for their Bios since most options in the SETUP menu were never intended to be
    visible to the end-user anyway.

I can think of many other improvements and enhancements to this BIOS. But for all practical purposes I have drawn a line here.

This file is ready for distribution. It does NOT contain UUID's, licenses, setup values and the sort.
    After loading you will need to define all of your setup values the way you would like, up to and including the VT setting.
    Setup defaults have not been changed.

When you decide to use this BIOS, I would appreciate if you just make a small comment as a token of appreciation on the blog post
    where you found this file (user name Dummy on http://marcansoft.com/blog/2009/06/enabling-intel-vt-on-the-aspire-8930g). Thanks.

If you have any remarks or suggestions, please also write a small comment.
    If you send me your email address I can get in touch with you if needed.

The best way to load this BIOS file is to use the DOS flash utility, called FLA.EXE.
    It is included in the Acer release of BIOS v1.45. You will need to create a bootable USB stick formatted to hold a (minimal) DOS system.

The command line to use is:

"FLA CL50145G.fd"

DO NOT USE any command line switches.

Blah blah ...
    -------------

THERE IS ALWAYS A (MINOR) RISK WITH FLASHING ANY BIOS. WHEN USING THESE BIOS FILES YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU CANNOT HOLD ME RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OF ANY KIND TO YOUR COMPUTER OR FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE. I DO NOT GUARANTEE ANYTHING IN RESPECT OF THE USE OF THESE MODIFIED BIOS'SES. PLEASE USE AS SEEMS FIT TO YOU. BUGS THAT MAY EXIST IN THE ORIGINAL BIOS ARE MOST LIKELY ALSO EXISTING THESE BIOS'SES. WHEN USING THESE BIOS'SES YOU MAY LOOSE SOME OF YOUR WORK OR ALL OF YOUR WORK, YOU MAY BRICK YOUR COMPUTER, YOUR ELECTRICITY BILL MAY INCREASE AND ANY OTHER CONCEIVABLE CATASTROPHE MAY HAPPEN TO YOU. DO NOT REPORT ANY SUCH EVENT TO ME AS I WILL DECLINE ALL RESPONSIBILITY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. YOU ARE FREE TO USE AND DISTRIBUTE THESE BIOS'SES AS LONG AS YOU MAKE NO ALTERATION OF ANY KIND TO THE BIOS FILES AND AS LONG AS YOU INCLUDE BOTH FILES AND THIS README NOTE TOGETHER. IF YOU REQUIRE BIOS MODIFICATIONS, EITHER DO IT YOURSELF AND REDISTRIBUTE IN YOUR OWN NAME OR USE THESE BIOS'SES AS A BASE BUT THEN YOU MUST INCLUDE THIS README FILE.

CL50145G.fd
    -----------

This is the modified BIOS for Acer Aspire 7720, 7720G and perhaps other models that use the same BIOS.
    It is based on the latest, and most likely last, release by the manufacturer (Acer).
    The Acer version is v1.45 and the BIOS file name of the Acer release is CL50145A.fd.
    This BIOS is available for download from the Acer support site. Please note the copyright.

The undervolting is enabled for T7xxx CPU's Only (CPUID 6Fx).

The P-States are calculated dynamically by the BIOS depending on the CPUID and the Platform ID (Stepping) amongst others.
    All P-States are affected by the modifications to the voltage.
    This BIOS is only for computers with CPUID's of 6Fx (that is 6FA, 6FB and perhaps others).
    Any platform ID should be OK, although I tested only one of each 6FA and 6FB.

For those of you who are interested, there are exactly 5 P-States.

The voltage modifications are conservative.
    I do not expect any issues as a result of these modifications.
    Nevertheless you need to understand that each CPU copy has individual voltage/temperature and die characteristics.
    Your friend's computer might tolerate a much higher voltage reduction than yours even though you have the same CPU type with the same stepping.
    Unfortunately, the voltages are not user configurable at present and I cannot promise that I will make an attempt to do that in the foreseeable future.

Modifications:

1) The setup utility has been modified to show all submenu's.
    No options were added or removed. No default values were changed.
    However, many existing options have been rearranged and may now appear under a different main menu.
    The need for this was the bug in the browser protocol that caused scrolling not to work correctly.
    I have tried to be as logical as possible when rearranging the options. Scrolling is now not used at all.

One menu, the 'USB Configutation' menu has been split into two.
    I created an extra sub form to hold part of the original form. Again, this was necessary to avoid scrolling.

2) Many corrections were made in the (English) string table.
    Typo's were corrected, translation was improved and missing text strings were created.
    Incorrectly linked strings were fixed. Some improvements in the help text as well.
    All in all, the string table has increased in size a bit.

3) The French and Chinese string tables were removed.
    They were not used anyway. The French string table was a very partial and poor translation.
    Don't know about the Chinese, but it's gone now. If anyone does need it (and knows how to enable it) let me know and I'll put it back.

4) Microcode was added and updated. It is important to have the right microcode, since it may happen on resume from S3 or higher that
    the OS does not load the microcode because of bugs in the OS, the ACPI implementation or something else.
    I had frequent crashes that were not BSOD, not driver related, in fact not OS related at all.
    After investigation, I found out that there was no microcode loaded in the CPU (a T7500).
    After loading the correct microcode in the BIOS, I did not experience any more crashes.

There was no microcode at all for the T7500 in the BIOS and the microcode for the T7300 was very old.
    All the more strange, since Acer did update the microcode in version 1.29 to support the Penryn range of CPU's,
    but they did not bother to update and include microcode for CPU's that had already been sold from the start of the range.
    Upon my inquiry I received an extremely blunt reply from Acer ...

5) The CPU voltage at the highest frequencies has been reduced by 150 mV.

6) The CPU voltage at the lowest frequencies has been recuded by some 85 mV.

Known issues:

1) The setup browser protocol has bugs that prevent scrolling to work correctly.
    Work-around: re-arrange options so that scrolling is never used. Impact: none.

Known issues by ME :

1) the UUID,asset tag,serial number have missed after flashing but i solve this problem with Insyde UUID and DMI tools.
    it's not annoying, but certain people need it.
    2) i use Osx 10.7.2, and you have the famous error "Firewire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!"
    Apparently it could be a Bios issue, some motherboard (like Gigabyte) and laptop (like Dell) manufacturer make a new release
    and this error disappeared.
    You could use it under Windows but it's a very annoying bug under Osx.
    I'm nearly sure it's a bug from Acer (but don't care about it...) not Dummy.
    3) The DSDT is not clear, a little buggy, but i made my own for Osx Use.

8. DoZe

DoZe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    WoW ! XMas Edition ! :p

9. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    Has anyone added quad core microcode to the BIOS....?!?! ;) If so I will test a quad core again.

Also, I'd like to point out, this thread says "major upgrade..." yet your video card is still type II. ;) I have been running an fx 3600m (like 9800m GT) in my 7720g... I'm thinking of desoldering the USB ports, ethernet and s-video to make it lay flat.

I have a copper block for 9800m GT from an m570ru which weighs about a pound... I have tried to experiment with mounting a heatpipe & radiator with cooling paste, it did get hot and transfer some heat but I think it needs to be soldered on. It stayed under 60c idling when directing airflow over the copper block.

If you want a "major upgrade" you should bid here: Qty 1 HP pn# 490858-B21 NVIDIA Quadro FX 3600M graphics kit | eBay
    Its mounted on a server mezzanine board but is standard MXM... and it has a built in heatsink.

10. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    Oh nice thread... I see here:
    Yes I can confirm this. :) I think that happens to be the exact model I have.