Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. lacky75

lacky75 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    finally got round to doing the upgrade, i have a 5315 which was purchased earlier this year it doesnt have a pink or grey CPU socket but instead has a creamy almost white one.

Upgrade took 15 mins start to finish including flashing the bios to 1.33.

Seems the Creamy white socket needs no modification my t5550 just dropped straight in! :D

New specs T5550 1.83ghz core 2 duo, 2gb 667mhz ram, 250gb toshiba 5400rpm hdd.

tbh i'm happy with the simplicity of the upgrade and seeing as i thought id have to sell it to end up with a similar spec lappy its seriously prolonged it life!

2. bigozone

bigozone JellyRoll touring now

Reputations:
    congrats Lacky.... just think we can upgrade these again when the T7700 or T9300s drop to $75 (might be awhile though)

3. lacky75

Reputations:
    i'v seen a few t7300 go cheap on e-bay may pick one of those up or plump for the t7500 they are the best i'v seen on e-bay uk so far (just concerned about temps with the higher end chips.

4. bigozone

Reputations:
    temps will go DOWN due to SPEEDSTEP technology and the fact that the new CPUs are built on a smaller die and with more effiecient manufacturing technologies

don't sweat the heat..... that CELERON is the HOTTEST socketP cpu these laptops can support

bigO

5. hoggie

hoggie old boy

Reputations:
    well done
    thats another victory to us :D

6. lacky75

Reputations:
    yeah i have noticed the fan not spinning anywhere nearly as much as it used too.

using hw monitor its cut almost 10degc off the idle and 3-4 of the load temps.

tbh i'm loving this lo-cost lappy. and the gma 3100 is more then up to what i use it for.

Gained 30mins on the batterylife also!!!!!

7. bigozone

Reputations:
    see the "UNDERVOLTING GUIDE" in the hardware thread,

follow it's directions and you may get your temps down a bit more.. and will probably gain more battery life

bigO

8. lacky75

Reputations:
    thanx bigo seriously tempted by the t8300, couple on ebay, and i got a few things to put on ebay which would offset the cost, does anyone know is my 1.33 bios will support it ok?

9. bigozone

Reputations:
    MY 1000th POST..... W00T!!!

i'm not 100% positive it will work,, but i do know that anything T7700 and lower will work.... give me a few days and i should have a positive report of a T8300 in an aspire 5315.... i'll get back with you as soon as i know!

bigO

10. pipino

pipino Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello people!I am a new user on this forum.I bought a 5315 laptop 2 days ago
    that has a Celeron 560.I read this thread and opened mine to see id I had a pink
    socket.Surprisingly I have a dark grey one.What does this mean?And what's with the mod to the socket?Is that necessary if I want to install a more powerful CPU?