Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. dtssyst

dtssyst Newbie

Reputations:
    First and foremost... I would like to thank all that have contributed to this thread. Your information has helped a lot.

My mom passed away just over a year ago. We have her laptop (Acer Aspire 5315-2326) and was not sure what to do with it.
    I can build a PC from parts but never tinkered on a laptop. Until now that is.

First thing was upgrade the firmware to 1.45.

I ordered two 2 gig crucial ram chips off of ebay for under ten dollars shipped. Tried to get 4 gig to work but no luck. It had two 1 gig chips so I took one out and put one of the 2 gig chips in. Success!!! 3 gigs of ram.

Upgraded to a Core 2 Duo T7700 processor for just under five dollars shipped from an ebay seller.

Had a crucial m4 128 gig SSD drive laying around so in it went. This gave the best overall performance increase.

Upgraded the internal wi-fi card to Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000. Hindsight says that this was a poor upgrade. Purchased it for a few cents so no big loss.
    Ordered the USB 3.0 wi-fi adapter 1200Mbps dual band 802.11 ac from Amazon. A LOT BETTER!!!

2 Port USB 3.0 54mm Express Card NEC Chipset Adapter Converter Card installed. Now it has USB 3.0!

Lastly, the operating system is now Windows 10 pro.

It is now a great laptop that I can use for odd things. Example: our upcoming vacation. I can use the USB 3.0 ports to backup photos from our DSLR camera to external hard drives.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

ellalan and triturbo like this.
  2. Ironcap

Ironcap Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folk. Thanks everyone for help.
    Just found this laptop (Acer 5315-2803) in garbage room and it is fully working. Just slowly becuase of Celeron 540.
    Found in drawer 2x2GB ram modules. 4GB - is not working. 3GB is working but you have to play with memory slots (as it was mentioned somewhere here).
    Ordered Core 2 Duo T7500 on ebay for 5 canadian dollars I guess.
    Bought for 20 cad msata 120GB for cheap with mSATA to SATA adaptor.
    It will be still capable for office things etc.
    Cheers!

ellalan likes this.