Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm trying to find prove of my memories but unsuccessfully so far so I can't confirm 100% that trick would work and you can have 3gb ram in this laptop.
    As for the brand - I don't believe it matter but I think 667Mhz is the max you can go, originally the 5315 comes with a 533Mhz RAM I believe.

A lot of guesses in my post, sorry, try to run a search for aspire 5315 threads, you might find something more concrete.

2. Siluxar

Siluxar Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, thank you again, i will search a bit, maybe i could find something about that, i suposse this laptop has been tested with a thousand different configurations in all these years so maybe, i could find something!

3. Siluxar

Siluxar Newbie

Reputations:

Hi again, last week i asked you for upgrading RAM on the acer aspire 5315, today, my t7500 processor has arrived, the problem is that when i put the microprocessor in the socket and i turn on the pc, this shows the acer screen with F12 and F2 option and later it simply turns off, no matters if i choose entering the BIOS, boot menu or simply let it go with the OS, it turns off, what´s happening here?

BIOS is on version 1.45, the last released by acer.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Problem solved, it seems that the micro processor won´t work if you don´t connect the fan and i had unplugged before assembling all. With the celeron never happened that, but now is all running ok! :D

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  4. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
  5. Davidwall

Davidwall Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've now got 11 of these beauties (13 if you count the busted ones). All running W10 - & 5 with 3.5GB ram & Cameras plus T9300 cpu's - brilliant.
    I encouraged my brother in UK to get one several years ago & he's 80 now but still I talked him thru upgrading the memory & cpu & updated to W10.
    I have a problem with his machine trying to get an external mike to work in the silver socket on the front. It's not recognised in Device Manager - anyone got any ideas.
    I've got plenty of machines to play with here.
    Thanks in advance

6. bizzybody

bizzybody Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yours must be a bit different from the WalMart specials. They didn't have cameras or microphone jacks. I don't know if anyone ever got a pair of 2 gig RAM sticks to work in that variant. I never could get mine to work with a 1 and a 2 gig so it was stuck with a pair of 1 gig.

7. Davidwall

Reputations:
    Strange - Google acer 5315 Camera or Acer 5315 Audio ports & view hundreds of images showing the two (mike & headphone) sockets & how to update the bezel, cable & camera (there were variants here in OZ without the cameras.
    This Thread has loads of comments about running more than 3GB memory also - admittedly you can't use all 4GB unless you're running 64bit - (i DO have 1 running 64 W10 myself) but hardly use it.
    Strange how over in the States they never had these variants. - Their loss I expect as they fly with w10 & 3.5GB.
    Actually - I've got a 2GB stick I haven't installed yet - I'll double check when I install it if there are any tricks.
    May have been the stick itself - Mine is labelled as 2GB PC2-5300 667MHz.

8. bizzybody

bizzybody Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    5315-2153 was the WalMart "Doorbuster Special" version that came with a Core Solo Celeron M530, 80 gig HD, DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo, 1 gig RAM and 1280x800 LCD. No camera, card reader, Infrared (was that still a thing at the time?), Bluetooth, microphone. IIRC it probably did have a mic jack, most likely didn't have a line-in. One of the bumps for audio ports was closed.

I put a Core2 Duo T2500 , larger hard drive, 2 gig and a DVD burner in the one I had.

9. Davidwall

Reputations:
    Over here in OZ they had variants of cpu from 1.7 to 2.1 & minimum of 500MB - you could install a bluetooth pci micro card and it had a pci express 54 slot externally accessed (which was useful).
    Actually I noticed - ours had the dvd burner combo drive as standard.
    I've tried putting an external mike into the jack and get some activity from the green bars but barely audible on replay.
    Ah well - my brother will have to record himself on his Iphone instead. - All the best.

10. bizzybody

bizzybody Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The WalMart version had the solder pads for it but didn't have the internal slot installed for anything but WiFi. :( Probably could've installed a WiFi+Bluetooth combo but then would've had to found somewhere for the BT antenna.
    It did have the ExpressCard slot, into which i plugged a flush fitting USB 3.0 and eSATA card.