Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. CosmoHack

CosmoHack Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello World.

My 5315 refuses to die and I am extremerly proud of it, since I am a declared enemy of obsolescence. Every piece of hardware should be like this laptop.

However, although I upgraded it several times through it's lifetime, it is getting laggy.
    Nowadays, it's running a T7250 and 3GB of RAM.
    I will put an SSD on it, but I am very intrigued on the posibillity of upgrading the motherboard, so the 3GB and Core2Duo barrier can be overcome.

Anyone knows anything about this?
    Can't seem to find anything clear.

Thank you.

Darklord Scotty likes this.
  2. tonormal

tonormal Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I change to T9300 and it's very good processor. In other order, aspire 5315/5715Z case it's similar to http://tim.id.au/laptops/acer/aspire 5710 5710g 5310 5310g.pdf but i don't think what exist "better" motherboard for this case...( relation cost/motherboard)

3. Darklord Scotty

Darklord Scotty Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello CosmoHack.

The Acer 5315 is my better halfs daily computer. Just like yours it refuses to die. I agree with tonormal I would go with a super cheap T9300 CPU upgrade and a cheap but reliable SSD. Your SATA 2 bus will be the bottleneck so no point going crazy with the SSD you are better off saving your money.

As for the MB upgrade I too toyed with the idea of doing it but I think in all honesty it would not be economical to do so - at that point you have the ask the question whether it's worth the money noting that modern Skylake/Kaby Lake i3 laptops with a basic setup are quite cheap.. same same if you want to upgrade to a T9500 - people want stupid money for them on eBay..

Still agree with your point about obsolescence - it's pretty criminal how companies like Apple basically engineer their products to become slow and obsolete through 'free' software upgrades..

Anyway I digress - go with the 9300 and the SSD and squeeze that 3GB of RAM into it and it will be just enough to run Windows 10 fairly nicely.

I have to admit that as of 2017 the machines performance with modern multimedia heavy webpages (Facebook etc) is starting to show its age, but for all other basic productivity apps it's still good to go..

Happy New Year!!

Scotty

4. fadsarmy

fadsarmy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I just put a T4400 into an aspire 5315 (bios 1.45, 2gb ram) which had a celeron 540 but it freezes while windows loads. I put a second T4400 in and it does the same. If I boot into safe mode then everything seems okay. I tried reinstalling windows but it freezes during setup. I thought the T4400 was compatible? When I put the celeron back in everything works fine.

5. Darklord Scotty

Darklord Scotty Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello Fadsarmy,

I have searched the forums, I cannot see any evidence of anyone else successfully installing (or even trying to install) a Pentium T4400 which is odd because it looks like a Penryn derivative to me.

Page 115 of this thread has a compatibility page and tellingly it does not appear to have the T4400 in it as a compatible CPU.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ep-upgrade-guide.251959/page-115#post-5362351

Can I suggest that you look at the T8XXX core 2 series? The T8100 (which I used to use on Windows 8 very nicely ) is unbelievably cheap on eBay at the moment - one vendor has them for 5 bucks(!) including free shipping!!! I can definitely vouch the SLAYP chip will work. Otherwise if you can afford it the T9300 which I use is also slightly less bang for buck but still cheap at 20 dollars!

Scotty

6. fadsarmy

fadsarmy Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Darklord. I got the cpu before finding this thread based on a youtube video. It freezes on the windows 7 logo whilst booting which I read happened to someone on here before. Also, it does not allow me to install windows also freezing early during install. The funny thing is the laptop works fine in safe mode. I've just ordered the T8100.

7. fadsarmy

fadsarmy Newbie

Reputations:
    All done with T8100 for £2.50. Nice and fast with ssd. Many thanks.

8. Siluxar

Siluxar Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, i just encountered this topic, i know is very old but i have an aspire 5315 which i need to revive, it already works but my sister some time ago "burned" the celeron 530 M and the processor´s temperature is about 65 degrees (celsius) always, so i bought an intel core 2 duo T7500 for the pc, the question is the next, i saw in your message that some people upgraded the RAM to 3gb, You can say how? It would be very interesting because 2gb are ok for this old PC, but 3 would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

9. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If I remember correctly the ram trick was to find the correct combothat would take it. So when you have a 2gb stick and the 1gb stuick available you put them on and try to boot, if it doesn work/recognize 3gb ram then swap the sticks and try again and it should work.

10. Siluxar

Siluxar Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much! some special brand, or this trick work with any brand of RAM memory? the current RAM is Samsung