Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This will give you an idea:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66GHz compare Intel Celeron M 530 1.73GHz CPU
    but getting a SSD will result in big improvement in response.

2. garyjr

garyjr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why would you want too stay at about the same speed! I use windows 7 64bit use 3gb ram 4 gb just didn't work! But went too the speed of 2.4ghz! T7700. I only put a 320gb drive though, at 7200rpm! Also clean the fan! And output side! Also clean off all the heat sink compound and put New!

3. tim_poiu

tim_poiu Newbie

Reputations:
    The Broadcom BCM943224HMS 802.11b/g/n Dual band WiFi card works well..( $12 on ebay ) you get 2.4 and 5 ghz.. 5 ghz n narrow band 20mhz. Also its the lower channels it doesnt see the 100+ ones. you will need a pci-e half height adapter with screws that suit ( about $4 ) the original card is full height and this broadcom is half height.
    i have windows 8.1 and the drivers are automatically installed.. I dont know about other versions.. 2.4 performance is better than the original card. It detects weaker networks..Ping to router is vastly better on 5 ghz. Data transfer rate using speedtest website is doubled !!!. Using Inssider 3.0 the link scores are 2.4 ghz 22 and 5 ghz 68 . Higher is better.. Also be warned a intel 7260HMW failed to boot, could not even enter bios settings. I hope this helps others.
    Here is image of inssider 3.0 with some comments [​IMG]

PS the wifi on off button also works and for some reason the task bar wif icon only shows a few bars but the connection works perfectly :)

4. lukasz81

lukasz81 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,
    In my Aspire 5315 i have motherboard with GL960 chipset and mPGA478MN socket + Celeron 530. I want to change CPU and i found info about Core 2 Duo T8100, T8300, T9300 or T9600 which will be work on this motherboard. Is this true? Do You have some experiences with one of those CPUs in Aspire 5315 with GL960? Price for T9600 is now around 40$ and tomorrow i can buy this CPU. It will be works?

I made BIOS update and now i have V1.45.

Thx for Your help
    Regards

5. mea2h

mea2h Newbie

Reputations:
    I am upgrade cpu Celeron 530 to Core2 Duo T9300.
    Now I has 2.5GHz with FSB800. I am very glade.
    Bus now cooler works every time :( with firmware v1.45

В общем стоял селерон 530 1.7GHz. Поставил Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz.
    Всё отлично завелось и работает. Но кулер блин работает постоянно.
    Народ пишет, что надо понизит прошивку до v1.34 и всё будет хорошо. Но мне этого делать не хочется.
    Прирост производительности значительный.
    Но лучше сначало сделайте апгрейд венчестера на SSD.
    Думаю результат будет лучше....

6. theviper

theviper Newbie

Reputations:
    do u know if this upgrade works with core duo socket m also on acer aspire 5315?

7. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi folks,
    I recently got hold of an Aspire 5315 and now want to update the BIOS and upgrade the hardware. After some searching I found this thread. I saw some recent edits so I believe it is still fresh.

The original posting contains a lot of links to other threads in this forum regarding updating, upgrading and other interesting stuff. However, the forum software has changed so most of the links don't work any more - at least not for me. I figured that I only have to change the link slightly to make it working again and open the original thread. I assume that you've also found out that only the number (using t=<number>) is needed to assemble a working URL.

Example Original Link (broken):
    BIOS RECOVERY and DOS FLASH instructions
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=251906
    New Link (working):
    BIOS RECOVERY and DOS FLASH instructions
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/251906/

If, however, the original link points to a posting (using p=<number>) the following approach repairs the link:

Example Original Link (broken):
    UPDATING BIOS using the windows flasher
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=3379018#post3379018
    New Link (working):
    UPDATING BIOS using the windows flasher
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/posts/3379018/

Hope that helps.
    H.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  8. HermannnTheGerman

Reputations:
    More information I found on the Aspire 5315 BIOS:

older BIOS V1.16 - V1.43
    ftp://ftp.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_5315/vista/Bios/
    (you have to copy&paste this URL into your browsers's address bar)

"current" BIOS V1.45
    http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_v1.45.zip?acerid=633643224971827506
    (Bios update to 1.45 confirmed running the update tool on a clean Windows XP installation)

"Repaired" links:

Memory Upgrades for the 5315
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/249972/

My experiences with socket M CPUs and finally Success w/ socket P
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/229430/

Does it make sense to revise the "front page"?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  9. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'll take care of it, thanks for your efforts.

10. HermannnTheGerman

Reputations:
    After I successfully upgraded the BIOS to 1.45, I looked for faster replacement to the built-in Celeron 550 processor (Penryn based, single core, 2.0 GHz, 1 MByte L2 cache, 533MT/s FSB).

Intel's documents on the 965 Express Chipset (used at least in my Aspire 5315) indicate that the chipset supports both 533 MT/s (166 MHz) and 800 MT/s (200 MHz) FSB. The matching processor pinout is called "Socket P".

I assumed that all mobile Core 2 Duo processors matching the electrical specifications above should run on the Aspire (minus unexpected BIOS quirks or bugs). So I checked Wikipedia's list of Core 2 Duo processors. I figured that I'd want one of the T8100/T8300 (3 MByte L2 cache) or T9300/T9500 (6 MByte L2 cache) dual core processors. As the T8100 (2,1 GHz, 800 MT/s FSB) was available on ebay for only 5€, I ordered one.

I followed the installation instructions on posting #2 and the new T8100 processor was installed in next to no time.

I strongly recommend that you apply a small blob of thermal paste on the heatsink after step #9 (place the new cpu in the socket) and before step #10 (remount). At first, I tried without. Checking the processor temperature on Linux with lm-sensors while hogging the processor running stress --cpu 2 --timeout 1, however, the core temperature soared critically. So I disassembled the heatsink, cleaned it, applied thermal paste and replaced it. Now the temperature stays at +60°C even running 'stress' for minutes (without option --timeout).

With the T8100, Windows 7 installed smoothly (without any drivers manually provided, sound, wifi, networking and graphics are working fine) and the Aspire is now more than twice as fast.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015