Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. Full-English

Full-English Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On the 5315, people have issues going above 3gb, nothing to do with the OS, the machine refuses to boot. Even 3gb sometimes causes boot issues.

2. CosmoHack

CosmoHack Newbie

Reputations:
    T7250 confirmed on Acer 5315.

Btw, is there any way to change the memory speed in order to match the FSB in this laptop?

Thank you.

3. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    PC5300 and PC6400 will run at 667Mhz after upgrading the CPU to a Core 2 Duo. The laptop will select the right speed in its own.

If you want to modify the speed by hand you can you SPDtool or Thaiphoon Burner. Do not that not all RAM are flashable.

4. pmerrill

pmerrill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm reasonably certain that this has to do with the Intel 82GL960 memory controller chip which is specified to handle only 2GB. Obviously there is either a flaw in the BIOS or the 82GL960 such that it can handle 3G but 4G seems to break it. However, I'm interested in someone confirming my understanding.

If you want 4G you need to ensue the memory controller can handle it. Something like the 82GM965, which is NOT in the 5315.

5. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Possibly the BIOS since Acer Aspire 4315 and the Toshiba Equium L40 have a GL960 chipset and they can be upgraded to 3GB and 4GB.

6. pmerrill

Reputations:
    Curious, but you may be right. The Intel 960 datasheet explicitly indicates 2G limit but IF the BIOS configures the chip correctly, then it must be possible. Unfortunately, it appears for the 5315, version 1.45 of the BIOS will only work with 3G at the most.

7. n2gc

n2gc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  8. pmerrill

Reputations:
    It may be possible, would need to pull the laptop apart again to see if this chip is socketed. However, the problem could lie with the BIOS. You would be taking a big chance I think. Given we're now talking about a 4 year old machine, it's probably better to save up and get a new i5 or i7 laptop, they are going very cheap...$AUD600 - $AUD800.

9. Full-English

Full-English Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think that would be impossible, so many things would been changing, the chip is soldered to the mobo as far as I remember, and as mentioned may be a sight easier to save up for a new machine.

10. n2gc

n2gc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks. I guess the old mantra fits, KISS..Keep it simple
    stupid. The machine works great. Best not "fix it", I guess.