Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. jhawkins1

jhawkins1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just installed a t4200 with no apparent issues so far. seems like a great upgrade for the price, ... $33.00 shipped!

2. ombra666

ombra666 Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks for your answer. so i'm going to buy another cpu, but i have another question: if i buy a 800 mhz fsb cpu, will it work with my 667mhz RAM? thanks in advance.

3. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah, a 800Mhz FSB CPU should work with your 667Mhz RAM. I'm currently running a T7500 with 2GB of 667Mhz RAM.

By the way in case you are wondering - no, you cannot go higher than 667Mhz RAM on Aspire 5315. No, you cannot upgrade to 4GB, it's not supported by the chipset.

4. ombra666

ombra666 Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks again. i'm going to buy a t7300 or a t7500, at the price of 35~45€, it should be a good upgrade. i've already 2 Gbytes of RAM, and i think i dont need more ATM.
    what about the noise and heat? now the fan speed is pretty low, with low noise, i'm worried about getting an hotter CPU and so getting an increased level of noise.

5. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The notebook should run cooler, quieter and with improved better battery life. When cleaned(from dust and such) and with some undervolting(managed to lower the voltages more than 0.1v) my T7500 is running at 45ºC, with almost no fan spinning when doing light tasks like browsing, office etc.

For more info on undervolting check "The Undervolting Guide", in the "Hardware..." section.

6. gus_007x

gus_007x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe it is luck but I found a T8100 for USD$30 (in my country, Mexico), and logically i take it, there is little money ...

I hope it is working well, though i intended to sell my 5315, because I've had problems in the last months, the screen failed and i had to replace it in may '09, the cooler is malfunctioning although I cleaned it (i need to replace it), and sometimes when I turn on the machine does not recognize the keyboard and the touchpad... But I am thinking to do the sell once i have that T8100 in my hands...

Someone knows about the problem on don't recognize keyboard and touchpad?

Thanks.

7. jhawkins1

jhawkins1 Newbie

Reputations:

Well, looks like my luck didnt hold, ... the cpu degraded over the course of a week to the point it will not boot. Started with a problem shutting down, had to hold the button to shut off. then it had problems starting up a couple of times, but always worked great once up and running. Now it will not boot with the t4200 in it. Tried different ram, even went so far as trying a reinstall of Win7 Enterprise, but it would not even startup to the point of being able to run the install.

I have put the Celeron 540 back in and all is well with it. I also tried knocking it back from bios 1.45 to 1.43, but no change.

Anyone have any thoughts?

8. Quilty997

Quilty997 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My only suggestion would be of the kill or cure nature, assuming its only the cpu that you have changed (in hardware terms).

Download and burn this http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and use the newly burned CD as a boot disc. It contains lots of test software which will let you stress the memory, cpu or a combination of the two.

Memtest is very good for proving that memory is working ok and assuming it checks out ok, you can run the cpu stress tests. I don't have a copy of the latest UBCD to hand but i'm pretty sure there is a Prime test on there which will load the cpu 100%. Let that run overnight and that will tell you if your cpu is ok (plus the laptop cooling!).

If you come back with the results we can go from there...

Good luck. :)

(Please note if your cpu or memory are slightly dodgy, stress testing could kill them completely - so proceed at your own risk)

9. jhawkins1

jhawkins1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I like it! Will give that a try this weekend to see how it does - Burn baby Burn! hehehe

10. ombra666

ombra666 Newbie

Reputations:
    finally upgraded to a t7300 - it works great.
    but i have a "problem": the fan i s always on, even if its not at the max speed, i can hear it spinning. i have 1.33 bios version, maybe i should upgrade?
    i got a 30° temperature this way - lol - but i prefer lower noise :)