Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    In the case of Aspire 5315 the max 3GB of RAM is limited by the chipset(technically GL960 should support 2GB only, we have no idea how 5315 manage to handle 3GB) so no matter the OS you install you still won't be able to use more than 3GB. It has been tested before. Now where were we on that $10?;)

I should remind you that the discussions even slightly related to Hackintosh are NOT allowed on these boards so please avoid it.

2. iAmourPetitSeins

iAmourPetitSeins Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is only true, but you can upgrade the firmware of your 965 chipset and flash it into your bios and viola! 4 gigs is accepted on your 64 bit Vista Ultimate (assuming that is what you are running. As for the other versions or if your still running XP, i couldn't tell you. But i have tested it on Vista Ultimate 64 and it worked (only after upgrading the firmware)

3. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    5315 have the GL960 not the GM965. There is no update you can install....By firmware you mean BIOS update? That won't work either. You can only update the chipset drivers but it will still be GL960 after the update so the limit remains. Can you link me to that "firmware" update you're talking about?
    The problem here is not the OSs 32bit architecture limit but Intel's budget chipset. We're aware of the fact 32bit OS will never see 4GB but as I said that is not the problem here - the problem is the hardware.

You've tested 4GB on Aspire 5315 and it works? Screenshots?

4. iAmourPetitSeins

Reputations:
    Bios version is 1.45
    Use driver checker AND DriverDetective and it lists GM965/960 as the chipset drivers. So doesn't that mean the Arcadia motherboard accepts the GM965 chipset on some drives as well? Or is it just that they are compatible with each other? Or is Windows just retarded and i don't know how to read Windows?

5. iAmourPetitSeins

Reputations:
    i will slap my stock 160HD in there tomorrow and boot up Windows and show you and post the pics here for all to see 4 Gigs works on Vista Ultimate 64

6. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    GL960 and GM965 are basically the same thing that's why many programs report the GL960 as GL960/GM965. However GL960, being a budget version of GM965, is crippled. It has some limits done by Intel on purpose. One of these limits is the supported RAM...
    All 5315 are the same, they all come with GL960 and there is NO way to..convert that chipset into GM965.
    Great thanks. You'll have to prove the pics are of an Aspire 5315 too because we all know 4GB work on 64bit system but as far as we know - NOT on 5315. Screenshot of "System Information->System Summary" should do the trick. For example:
    [​IMG]

7. Bubbah16

Bubbah16 Newbie

Reputations:
    Chipper, do you still have the other bilingual keyboard. I may be interested.
    PM me please.

8. Rammunition

Rammunition Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, just stumbbled across this thread and forum :)

Now i have the Acer 5315, with the Intel GL960 chipset. My specs aare

Celeron 550 2Ghz
    2GB ram
    80GB hard drive.

Now according to the intel website, this chipset supports upto 533mhz FSB cpu's. So does that make the Pentium dual core T2370, T2390 and T2410 the best 3 CPU's for my chipset?

thanks

9. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    No. Your chipset will work with CPU with FSB up to 800Mhz. The best CPUs for your laptop would be...T8300, T9300...I posted a list somewhere..

Edit:
    Any of these should work though I wouldn't install T9500 or T9300 due eventual heat problems and incompatibility. I think someone tried to install T9300 and did actually make it work somehow..We have no info if T9500 actually work in AS5315.

10. xvitox

xvitox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ya what you have to do I think is reinstall Vista...though I think if you search there is someone here who did not need to reinstall, he might have updated to BIOS 1.45