Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. michacerboy

michacerboy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ahhhh so it means Engineering Sample, not Enhanced Speedstep.

Thanks for the clarification and speedy responses!! :D

How does an engineering sample make it used more? Should I resell it on ebay and buy a regular T7300?

Ive waited a long time for this upgrade and if it doesnt work Im going to be majorly bummed. :( :(

2. xvitox

xvitox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    umm honestly i think i read it here a while ago in this thread something having to do with it being a beta....id check this forum i know its here somewhere

3. michacerboy

Reputations:
    Awwww poop I just read the wikipedia. Had I known it was an ES beforehand, I wouldve moved on and purchased a regular t7300. I hope this works out ok!!

4. xvitox

Reputations:
    dont sweat it too much we all make small mistakes. it should be fine did he have any money back guarantees or something?

EDIT: btw how well does that 7200 rpm hdd work? im thinking about getting something like this?

5. michacerboy

Reputations:
    This is the 2nd laptop Ive upgraded to a Hitachi 7k200 7200rpm HD with 16mb cache and all I have to say about the 7200rpm HD is this:

:D :D :) :) :eek:

There is a remarkable difference and at home, I have a side by side comparison I did of each HD (5400rpm vs 7200rpm) on HD Tune software. The 7200rpm is at minimum 40% faster in most categories, and up to 70% in other areas.

Highly recommended upgrade!! I'd stick to the Hitachi 7k200's though... Newegg has some pretty good pricing (although I bought mine "new in box" off ebay for a few bucks cheaper)...

6. xvitox

Reputations:
    ill look into it...hopefully ill find something that is like 500gb i want lotsa space hehehe :D

7. michacerboy

Reputations:
    Well, its in! :D Im T-7300(es)ing it all the way now baby!!!

Much faster, boot time/shut down time and my applications are opening in the flash of an eye now.... score!

I used PC Wizard 2009 to check the processor, and it does say I have 2 cores operating. It even showed the temps for each core. So Im assuming that the ES processor I bought at least has 2 cores (I read on that wiki article about some only having 1 core activated).

I think Im good now. But if I do find a good deal on a T9300, Im getting that next :cool:

8. beuy

beuy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,

First of all thank you so much for this thread, the clear and simple step by step instructions are fantastic and so useful.

I purchased my Acer 5315 late last year during a sale and only recently found out just how easily upgradeable the unit is. So far I have done the following:

Replaced HDD with 7200RPM 500GB
    Upgraded RAM to maximum 3GB
    Replaced CPU with a T7300 (just did this before posting).

This really is a fantastic laptop, I can't recommend it enough. I'm considering doing an internal hack to add an external WI-FI antenna to get some extra range out of it.

Once again thank you for the great thread.

9. xvitox

Reputations:
    michacerboy: why not just go with a t9500 if you are going to get a t9xxx

10. iAmourPetitSeins

iAmourPetitSeins Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    the Max 3 Gigs of Ram is only limited by the 32 bit (x86) version of Windows. Upgrade your Windows to 64 bit and enjoy the full four Gigs of Ram... Or switch to a different operating system all together (Linux, Ubuntu, OS X, ect)

I have been testing Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard on my Acer 5315 for two weeks now. No problems. i have sound and display and graphics and all my ports and drives work.... the ONLY problem i am having at all is it doesn't connect online yet. Can't find the right drivers or my router needs to be switched to a wifi access point. Trying both approaches. i will keep you updated on this project if anyone is interested.

After i get the internet configured i will VERIFY wether or not 4 Gigs of Ram is acceptable on an Acer X system. i bet $10 that it is supported.